LNB question

Feline Joe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2023
Missouri
HI,

This is my first post here. I was gifted a large dish, mount, feed horn and LNB. The dish is about a meter tall and slightly narrower in width. It was disassembled so I am not sure if it is prime or offset focused.

The LNB is a Zinwell PLL LNB ZK-PF1G, with a model number of LN - 139210. It seems older, only had one connector. I wad able to find a data sheet, which did not say if this was a linear or circulars polarized unit. It definitely is a Ku LNB.

Next is the feed horn. I think that it is a Channel Master, the number on it is CM3040645. I do not know if this is for offset or prime focus, as I said above, I have not put the dish together yet. I am painting it as it was pretty grundgy looking.

Does anyone have any information on these two things? I want to put together a FTA system with more a more up to date LNB. Any suggestions?

Thank you much,

Joe KB0TXC

Reactions: FTA4PA
Look at the back of the dish, see if it has any MOLD numbers if its composite. If so, let us know what those are. A couple photos would also be a lot of help. From what you've already said, it's very likely an offset KU dish.

Oh, and WELCOME to SatelliteGuys!

Reactions: FTA4PA
This is a photo of the LNB and feed horn. I will look at the dish tomorrow when it is coo in the morning.
20230711_161643.jpg

The big one.

It finally cooled off a bit, so I went outside and looked at the dish. It is fiberglass and resin. On the back, there was the following information to be found:

1.2 Meters
Part # 3040646
MOLD # 1.2M - 1

I included a photo.

Attachments

• 20230711_200602.jpg
    20230711_200602.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 65
Now the question is what mods do I need to make to use this for am FTA dish specifically for Galaxy 16? What LNB should I get, preferably with multiple connectors.

The dish was not pole mounted. Rather, there is a meta base, a main support and smaller braces. It looks like it was meant for a flat roof install. I am in the process of painting it a flat olive drab.

One last Q: the back of the dish has some ends of fiberglass sticking out. Should I gel coat the back with resin to prevent further damage?

Thank you again!

Joe KBOTXC

Should be able to remove the plastic housing cover from a standard KU band LNBF and you will find the throat of the cast aluminum feed will fit nicely into the stock circular mount (23mm).

Here is a project from 9 years ago, where I grafted a KU LNB onto the stock scalar/waveguide. Still mounted and working great!

www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/ku-lnbf-graft-onto-prodelin-1m-feedhorn.339849/

First I want to thank everyone who has responded to this thread. I went from knowing nothing about this setup to being over halfway to my goal.

So far, I have discovered that the dish itself is an old (reall old) 1.2 Meter Primestar dish. Second, that the LNB that came with it is an almost 40 year old antique mad around 1985, and that it is useless for digital. Third, I found out that the feed horn is designed for the offset 1.2 meter dish, and that it fully illuminates the dish. Lastly, I learned that the feedhorn uses a C-120 mount to the LNB.

Today, I am going to try ot find a quad output C-120 LNB. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to anything. I will only perform surgery on the feedhorn if that is my only option.

This leaves only one last real question for me: would it be advantageous to coat the back of the dish with a gel type fiberglass resin of the type used to repair boats with? There are some glass fibers emerging out of the composite.

Again, thank you all very much!

Joe, KB0TXC

Hi again.

Yesterday, I started a thread revolving around a "gift dish", of which was completely ignorant of, and out of gratefulness to the giver, did not look into its mouth, so to speak. Turned out to be a 1.2 meter offset focus Channel Master dish set for Primestar (that is an old name). The feed horn is designed for the dis, and uses a C120 flange.

So, now what I need is a recommendation for a modern, quad if possible, C120 Ku LNB for FTA.

Any ideas or suggestions? I really do not want to do surgery if at all possible.

Thank you all for the help!

Joe KBOTXC

Hi again.

Yesterday, I started a thread revolving around a "gift dish", of which was completely ignorant of, and out of gratefulness to the giver, did not look into its mouth, so to speak. Turned out to be a 1.2 meter offset focus Channel Master dish set for Primestar (that is an old name). The feed horn is designed for the dis, and uses a C120 flange.

So, now what I need is a recommendation for a modern, quad if possible, C120 Ku LNB for FTA.

Any ideas or suggestions? I really do not want to do surgery if at all possible.

Joe KBOTXC
My advice is to keep this all in the original thread, otherwise people can't follow it all correctly.

Reactions: a33
Hi again.

Joe KBOTXC
Good luck finding a C120 flange KU lnb, that's quad output. They are now very rare in the USA, and Invacom & Inverto stopped making them. You'll likely have to order from a European store, and pay the high dollar for it.

Look for Primesat brand for brand new

OR, keep searching Ebay, and perhaps you can eventually find an NOS one over here at a good price.