4:2:0 and 4:2:2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wantogetstarted

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Mars, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
I see a lot about 4:2:2. I believe that this is the HD standard and 4:2:0 is the normal digital standard. It seems HD is getting more and more popular. Are there any receivers that do both 4:2:2 and 4:2:0. Or do I have this completely messed up?

there is a set top receiver that can do 4:2:2 and that is the Quali-TV 1080. Pretty hefty price tag (700 bucks) but it does work.

Another (less expensive) option is the DVB World Box. That gets hooked to the computer (but doesn't get installed like a PC card)

More and more feeds are transmitting at these resolutions each week.

bidaw said:
More and more feeds are transmitting at these resolutions each week.

4:2:2 is not a resolution.

FYI...4:2:2 can be done with almost any DVB USB or PCI device. It just take the right software/codecs to display the stream.

4:2:2 is not an "official" part of the DVB standard. It is basically an altered DVB stream that broadcasters use to get better quality from their DVB transmissions to the studio. This will probably never become mainstream for the consumer market, but more and more broadcasters seem to be using it for their internal feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.