4:2:2 / DVB S2 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The ONLY standalone receiver that will do 4:2:2 is the 700.00 Quali-TV. Iceberg has one.
:D

Quali-TV appears to be a dealer. He's selling the Pace model DS-810XE receiver. Is this the receiver that you are referencing?

The receiver specs don't mention anything about 4:2:2 video. Is 4:2:2 included as part of another specification such as H.264 ?

Edit: I found a google link for a Quali QS1080IRCI receiver. Is this the one?

Last edited:
Quali-TV appears to be a dealer. He's selling the Pace model DS-810XE receiver. Is this the receiver that you are referencing?

The receiver specs don't mention anything about 4:2:2 video. Is 4:2:2 included as part of another specification such as H.264 ?

It was not listed as a spec but will receive 4:2:2 HD and SD, it was a bonus when people started using it and found out it did do it. The only problem is that there is a green line on the bottom of the screen if I recall. No H.264 though and no S2 and not sure of the DS-810XE model, just the original one.

The Quali-TV site is difficult to navigate. There are no satellite receivers listed under the Products tab, but the search function will find them if you know what you are looking for.

I found a google link for a Quali QS1080IRCI receiver. Is the one?
That's the one, kinda. There are 2 versions, one has Multiple CAMs, the Regular one just has Irdedo.
The QS1080ir in not made any longer.
The "Green Line" is only on HD 4:2:2 feeds, can be "hidden" if the TV allows you to adjust the Pic's position. Most HD TV's do.

$700 is for a new unit, you can get a used or referb for almost half.
There is one For Sale in the Sat Guys Classified section. :) :) :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/155034-sale-qualitv-qs1080ir.html

I checked, and 4:2:2 Chroma Sub-sampling is supported under the H.264 Video compression specification.

I would reasonably expect a receiver that is H.264 compliant to be able to decode 4:2:2 Video.

I would reasonably expect a receiver that is H.264 compliant to be able to decode 4:2:2 Video.
But if the use of 4:2:2 is used outside of H.264, like the NBC feeds do, an H.264 receiver can not decode it.

But if the use of 4:2:2 is used outside of H.264, like the NBC feeds do, an H.264 receiver can not decode it.

What compression spec does NBC use? I thought that they recently switched to DVB-S2. Isn't that MPEG-4 based?

H.264 chip sets are usually backward compatible with earlier standards. If the capability to process 4:2:2 is built in, it would not make any sense not to use it - unless it's a marketing strategy.

The Quali-TV receiver uses the Broadcom BCM7035 chip set. The chip handles MPEG-2, but not MPEG-4.

correct

The Q can handle 4:2:0 Sd, 4:2:2 SD, 4:2:0 HD & 4:2:2 HD all MPEG2
The Coolsat 8000 can handle MPEG4 but not 4:2:2

What compression spec does NBC use?
The 4:2:2 are MPEG2 DVB, but those are only Specs, not limits. There is no rule that they Have to follow.

H.264 chip sets are usually backward compatible with earlier standards. If the capability to process 4:2:2 is built in
I don't believe 4:2:2 is in the MPEG2 or DVB Standards.

The Quali-TV receiver uses the Broadcom BCM7035 chip set. The chip handles MPEG-2, but not MPEG-4.
Correct

The Diamond 9000HD uses an STi7100 chip set, it's MPEG2 and MPEG4 / H.264 "compliant", it can not do 4:2:2.

correct

The Coolsat 8000 can handle MPEG4 but not 4:2:2

They are not advertising that they are H.264 compliant or DVB-S2 compliant, so this is reasonable.

Some manufacturers are advertising DVB-S2 and H.264 compliance. They may be lying, but they're still advertising.

They are not advertising that they are H.264 compliant or DVB-S2 compliant, so this is reasonable.

Some manufacturers are advertising DVB-S2 and H.264 compliance. They may be lying, but they're still advertising.

The CS8000 IS mpeg4(h.264) compliant . That is the European standard for the HD DVB-s2 receivers, since that is what Europe HD runs on. I expect that those manufacturers claiming mpeg4 compliance are advertising the same thing. It is standard on everything I've seen that does DVB-S2 .

"Brilliant On Screen Graphic
MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 Fully DVB Compliant
MPEG-2 Video (MP@ML), MPEG-1 Audio Layer1,Layer2
LNB Controlling Logic
SCPC/MCPC Receivable from C / Ku-Band Satellites
Digital Tuner with Loop-through
HDMI, Component, RGB/HV, S-Video, Composite Video, Audio L/R
Wide Symbol Rate 1~45Mbps & Frequency Input 950 ~ 2150MHz
DiSEqC 1.2 Supported
S/PDIF AC3 Audio
User friendly OSD Menu with Full Function
256 Color Graphic User Interface
Multi-language menu
4-digit 7-segment LED Display
Variable Aspect Ratio (4.3, 16:9) with Pan Vector or Letter Box
EPG(Electronic Program Guide) for On-screen Channel Information
Teletext and Subtitle Supported (VBI & OSD)
Installation by Easy Setup Guide
Capacity for Storing Multi Channel (FTA.2500 Channels, 500 Transponders)
Favorite Channel and Parental Lock Function
RS232C Port for Upgrading System Software
Input Frequency 51~862 Mhz
Implement complet DVB-T (ETS 300 744) standard
2K and 8K transmission modes
No=Hierarchial and Hierarchial support
Optimized for both SFN and MFN enviroment"

From the manual.

:)

H.264 compliant doesn't mean it implements all profiles. Supporting High Profile is enough for Blu-Ray to be considered H.264 without supporting High 4:2:2 Profile. So while H.264 has 4:2:2 in the standard, instead of an optional extension or whatever to MPEG2, there is no requirement to support it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)