Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok since being sick last week I have once again taken a interest in the FTA hobby and have been having a good time scanning around finding things that I have never been able to see before as I figured out I can fine tune my Dish using Diseq 1.2 :)

Anyways I notice on my Mercury II that while it picks up a lot I can't tune in everything, and what I mean by that is I get channels where I hear sound but the picture is all greek blocks that flash.

I am guessing these are 4:2:2 or DVB S2 signals.

In looking it appears there is no affordable satellite receiver out there which can do 4:2:2 or DVB S2, however I am guessing that there are some computer tuners which can handle these standards.

I have a DMSI Matchbook Pro which I have been using for the Uplink Reports (well until my uplink computer blew up) can that do 4:2:2 or DVB S2?

I also want to make sure that whatever I use can move my Dish and that I can fine tune it as needed.

What software do I need to make this work? Any pointers would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Most any PC card will do 4:2:2 with the proper codecs (elecard). And you are correct. The ONLY standalone receiver that will do 4:2:2 is the 700.00 Quali-TV. Iceberg has one.
Your Mercury is NOT seeing DVB-S2, it is seeing DVB 4:2:2 or a HD feed.

To do DVB S2 requires a receiver that can decode it, Currently readily available receivers include the Diamond 9000 HD ( what I use), the Coolsat 8000/8100, and the Pansat 9200 with the correct add on board (which is a PIA to find, most all the boards out there are the hack boards).

There are PC Cards that can do DVB-S2 also. But there is no readily available blind scan DVB-S2 standalone receiver in North America, so other methods are used to find the feeds. Bob can tell you, he does it. It involves a piece of software, an old c-band analog receiver, and a shortwave radio.

I hope some of that helped. :D

Scott
4:2:2 feeds and HD feeds will show up on a SD receiver and get sound only
4:2:2 feeds show a "tearing" screen and HD is usually a green screen

as the cajun noted DVB-S2 will only pick up on a compatible reciever.

The Quali-TV is the only STB that can do 4:2:2 but there are PC Cards

Ok thanks. :)

Do you guys thing that the Match Box Pro USB tuner has the power to move my dish or am I better the slave it off my Mercury II?

Sorry about the DVB S2 confusion. Is there anything available in DVB S2 in the US worth picking up? Anone know if the Match Box Pro can do DVB-S2?

DVB-S2 on C-Band heck yeah
DVb-S2 on KU not really...there are data feeds but that is is

I'd use the Merc II to control the motor and slave the USB box to it. I slave the Quali (and the 8000) and let the Coolsat 5000 control the motor

Thanks Berg,

Next dumb question... Is there any list of 4:2:2 channels pr DVB-S2 channels anywhere? If not would such a thing possibly be a good idea for TheList? :D

The two Florida channels on AMC3 Ku are DVB-S2 and not yet on The List! anywhere.
I wouldn't say they are very interesting, but nice to have something DVB-S2 to test on Ku.

Ok thanks. :)

Do you guys thing that the Match Box Pro USB tuner has the power to move my dish or am I better the slave it off my Mercury II?

Sorry about the DVB S2 confusion. Is there anything available in DVB S2 in the US worth picking up? Anone know if the Match Box Pro can do DVB-S2?

Like Ice said, slave it. Use the Mercury to move your dish and the Match Box to tune. I use TSReader/VLC with my Twinhan 1020a PC Card.

As far as I know the Match Box does NOT do DVB-S2. The manufacturers are starting to build some cards with S2 capability, but I don't think there is an inexpensive (under 100.00) S2 card just yet. There was some talk of a Twinhan S2 card, but I haven't run across anyone who has one. I think most of the guys are using a Technotrend card for S2.

Its worth noting that, according to Gary of Equity Broadcasting, the G-18 Equity channels will at some point switch over to DVB-S2. Nobody knows when yet, but the switchover will occur on the C-Band DVB channels first.

Its worth noting that, according to Gary of Equity Broadcasting, the G-18 Equity channels will at some point switch over to DVB-S2. Nobody knows when yet, but the switchover will occur on the C-Band DVB channels first.

which he said back in January....long before the issues Equity is having popped up ;)

which he said back in January....long before the issues Equity is having popped up ;)

I think EMH is on target - all the c-band EMH muxes except for one are in S2 now, so I imagine Ku-band is not far behind - maybe by mid 2009? (72 total channels on g18 ku would be awesome!)

I think EMH is on target - all the c-band EMH muxes except for one are in S2 now, so I imagine Ku-band is not far behind - maybe by mid 2009? (72 total channels on g18 ku would be awesome!)

um, they only have 2 C-band muxes
G3 which is DVB
G28 which is DVB-S2 and never was "converted" to DVB-S2...it was brought live in that format

But I'll belive it when I see it....when they brought up G3 C-band 3 years ago the thought was "oh no Equity is going to C-band for all and KU will be gone"....and we all know how that turned out ;)

How does the Viewsat MAXHD receiver rank? It's the only stand alone box I've found that advertises S2 compliance.

The specs advertise Full S2 Compliance, but there's no mention of AC3 Audio or 4:2:2 Video. Blind Scan is mentioned in the user's manual.

8PSK is advertised in the spec, but many dealers are selling an add-on 8PSK/Turbo FEC module for this receiver. If the receiver has built-in 8PSK, what is the purpose of the add-on module?

Last edited:
The add-in module is to pirate the "Turbo FEC 8psk" that is Dish Networks modulation for their HD signals. The 8PSK that is mentioned in the MAXHD specs is the same 8PSK used by the CS8000/8100 for DVB-S2 compliance. It is the EURO standard for HD broadcasts.
There are different flavors with "8PSK" in them ( 3 that I know of) .

:)

How does the Viewsat MAXHD receiver rank? It's the only stand alone box I've found that advertises S2 compliance.

The specs advertise Full S2 Compliance, but there's no mention of AC3 Audio or 4:2:2 Video. Blind Scan is mentioned in the user's manual.

8PSK is advertised in the spec, but many dealers are selling an add-on 8PSK/Turbo FEC module for this receiver. If the receiver has built-in 8PSK, what is the purpose of the add-on module?

Stay away from the MaxHD, no dvb-s2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts