Status
Please reply by conversation.

hunter2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
NY
Hello All,

Since I sow this tech term here, I will ask my question here :)
What exactly this 4:2:2 means? I know 4:3 and 16:9, but I never heard of this one … I’m assuming that it’s something complete different
Can I get this 4:2:2 with Nexus? What about Fortecstar Lifetime ?

Thanks.

hunter2 said:
Hello All,

Since I sow this tech term here, I will ask my question here :)
What exactly this 4:2:2 means? I know 4:3 and 16:9, but I never heard of this one … I’m assuming that it’s something complete different
Can I get this 4:2:2 with Nexus? What about Fortecstar Lifetime ?

Thanks.

Nexus should work. You need the PC to software decode the signal with Elecard codec. That is why the fortec star lifetime can't do 4:2:2, because it can't decode it.

Thanks jerryt.

So you are saying 4:2:2 is incription?
Or it's a HD standard? What is 4:2:0 then? :confused:

It a video type. The PCI cards can do it with the appropriate filters. There can be 4:2:0 which is digital, 4:2:2 which is also digital, but the PCI cards can do it with MPG2 filters, or codecs. There is plain 4:2:2 which is not HD but there is also 4:2:2 HD. There can also be 4:2:0 HD.

Clear it up?

4:2:0 all DVB recevers can see, as long as the signal isnt encrypted (like Globecast)
4:2:2 PC cards (and expensive receivers) can see

YUV Sampling
One of the advantages of YUV is that the chroma channels can have a lower sampling rate than the Y channel without a dramatic degradation of the perceptual quality. A notation called the A:B:C notation is used to describe how often U and V are sampled relative to Y:

4:4:4 means no downsampling of the chroma channels.
4:2:2 means 2:1 horizontal downsampling, with no vertical downsampling. Every scan line contains four Y samples for every two U or V samples.
4:2:0 means 2:1 horizontal downsampling, with 2:1 vertical downsampling.
4:1:1 means 4:1 horizontal downsampling, with no vertical downsampling. Every scan line contains four Y samples for every U or V sample. 4:1:1 sampling is less common than other formats, and is not discussed in detail in this article.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/YUVFormats.asp

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)