4 digit channel numbers for Locals removed/hidden

No. I think one way to look at it is this...Supers were "local" independant stations that wanted to distribute to and be made available nationally instead of just within their local market, whereas distants were sets of local network stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) from a major market (NY, LA, etc) that were made available to subscribers who couldn't access their own market local channels, like Bobby was explaining a few posts earlier.
OK, got it.

Reactions: DWS44
Thanks DWS44. So is Supers so to speak the same thing as Distant Locals?
Superstations were often operated by a 'local' TV station but their programming would differ (or maybe overlapped to some degree). I remember two very popular ones were from Atlanta (WTBS) and Chicago (WGN). The Atlanta station was popular (to some) because they carried Atlanta Braves baseball as well as wrestling (which kinda evolved into WWF) and syndicated programming. You couldn't watch their local news broadcast though, for example. WGN carried the Cubs and syndicated programming too but again, you couldn't watch the local news.

Today, these channels would just be considered regular "cable" channels but in the 70s-80s they were called "Superstations" because of their affiliation with local stations.

Superstations were often operated by a 'local' TV station but their programming would differ (or maybe overlapped to some degree). I remember two very popular ones were from Atlanta (WTBS) and Chicago (WGN). The Atlanta station was popular (to some) because they carried Atlanta Braves baseball as well as wrestling (which kinda evolved into WWF) and syndicated programming. You couldn't watch their local news broadcast though, for example. WGN carried the Cubs and syndicated programming too but again, you couldn't watch the local news.

Today, these channels would just be considered regular "cable" channels but in the 70s-80s they were called "Superstations" because of their affiliation with local stations.

Actually WGN kept local news feeds on WGN America up to about 5 years ago. And I remember Super 17 WTBS had local news and weather updates in the very early 80's. Still have my Superstations today on Dish and also used to enjoy DNS channels once upon a time too. (remember All American Direct?)

I'm a sub almost 22 years now!!! Jan 27 1997!!

Reactions: charlesrshell

in the ancient days of early cable..circa 1980..you could see the entire station..

Actually WGN kept local news feeds on WGN America up to about 5 years ago. And I remember Super 17 WTBS had local news and weather updates in the very early 80's. Still have my Superstations today on Dish and also used to enjoy DNS channels once upon a time too. (remember All American Direct?)

I'm a sub almost 22 years now!!! Jan 27 1997!!

Congratulations ( a fe days early) on reaching the Double Deuce!

Congratulations ( a fe days early) on reaching the Double Deuce!
The first I saw 19 Atlanta (Don't remember the calls) back in the early 80s via satellite and they did operate as a local station. I got my big dish in 1985 and then the supers were WGN-9, WPIX-11, WWOR-9, and KTVT-11 (Ft Worth). I remember watching the local news on KTVT going into the old shows like "The Real McCoys). Fun days.

I miss the super stations. The only thing they where good for was Star Trek re-runs.

Speaking if Star Trek I had a screwy setup about 14 years ago.

The abc affiliate in Grand Rapids channel 41 used to show Star Trek every night.

The Grand Rapids locals where in the clear on the 148 satellite.

So I had a 148 Dish at my house with a 10 degree loom angle hooked up to a legal free to air receiver.

I had the receiver tuned to the abc affiliate in Grand Rapids and ran it through an agile modulator to broadcast it on channel 41.

I ran the feed into my TiVo And made the TiVo believe I was getting 41 OTA. Then had a regular dish receiver hooked to the composite input on my TiVo.

I also had another screwy setup with WKBD 50 detroit that was in the clear at 110 that was hidden. I had tricked the TiVo into recording Star Trek from there also

Reactions: Tampa8 and BamaFan2
Beat you by 9 days: 1/18/97.:biggrin

I was living in Wyoming at the time and my wife worked for the local cable company and of course HAD no WGN.

Saw the Dish TOP 40 promotion ad in USA Today and spent 200 buying a Dish system and set it up myself. Really the Superstations are all I have left of that original purchase of channel signal packages.

The Superstations where Locol UPN and WB (later CW) stations in three of the relevant time zones that were made available to satellite subscribers who did not have UPN WB/CW local into locals before the must carry rule went into effect, and all the content on those Superstations were exempt from copyrights in regards to exclusivity in each Media Market.

WTBS was neither a UPN nor WB/CW affiliate, but it also enjoyed the same exemption from copyright in regards to exclusivity per Media Markt of the content it aired. Once must carry took effect for satellite, the Super stations became of less use or value to most subscribers because in most cases people could watch their local UPN, WB/CW stations. Although for me back before high definition and in those days of single tuner boxes and DVR'S and later two tuner DVRs, I really loved being able to record hours ahead of our local UPN, WB/CW so that our limited number of tuners back in those days were free to record other programming during Prime Time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts