4 sat hookup help needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

techdss29

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Panama City Area, FL
OK - here's the story

I have a dish 500 system with dishpro lnbs (110, 119) with a 61.5 dp lnb hooked up also.

I also have an old FTA 30" dish - it has a ku lnb standard rf:11.70/12.20ghz, if:950/1450mhz, lo:10.750ghz, gain 55db, noise figure 0.5db

What I would like to do is use this 30" dish to hook up to 105 degree dish sat

I have a dp 34 switch, I also have available but not in use a sw21 switch.

How can I hookup all 4 sats (61.5, 105. 110, 119) to my receivers (dp501, dp301) and make it work?

Do I need another switch?

Do I need a another type lnb?

I do understand that for the 105 sat that Dish uses a different lnb - will the ku lnb I have work?

A little help would be appreciated

Thank you in advance for your time

techdss29

:confused: :confused:

techdss29 said:
I also have an old FTA 30" dish - it has a ku lnb standard rf:11.70/12.20ghz, if:950/1450mhz, lo:10.750ghz, gain 55db, noise figure 0.5db

What I would like to do is use this 30" dish to hook up to 105 degree dish sat

How can I hookup all 4 sats (61.5, 105. 110, 119) to my receivers (dp501, dp301) and make it work?

I do understand that for the 105 sat that Dish uses a different lnb - will the ku lnb I have work?

:confused: :confused:

I doubt it... for a few reasons. 1) 105 is low powered, and needs the 36" dish to barely get enough signal to work.. but a 30" should work once the new sat is up and running at 105.

2) your LNBF isn't Stacked, meaning it most likely won't work with DishPro.

3) The only way i know of to merge 4 sats together is to use a DPP44 switch.. which is rare, expensive, and unproven in the field.

Your biggest problem is that your current Dish LNBs and switches (Dish500 LNB, Dish300 LNB, DP34) are all DishPro, but the additional equipment you have (FSS LNB, SW21) is not. DishPro LNBs and switches WILL NOT WORK with non-DishPro LNBs and switches. Also, you want four different satellites; the DP34 switch only handles three. The good news? Your receivers will work with either DishPro or "legacy" equipment (not both at the same time).

Basically, you'll have to go either all-DishPro or all-legacy. The all-DishPro solution requires two new pieces of equipment:
(1) Replace the LNB on the 30" dish with a SuperDish LNB designed for the 105 orbital slot. It has a type number (designating it as for 105/110/119 instead of 110/119/121), but I'm not an installer, so I don't know the exact type number; but *all* SuperDish LNBs are DishPro. WARNING: I cannot guarantee that the SuperDish LNB will fit on the 30" dish; you may have to go ahead and get the SuperDish itself, which MUST be professionally installed. ALSO NOTE: The SuperDish LNB will also pick up 110/119; but since you already have a Dish500 picking those up, you MAY be able to keep using it and save the extra cable.
(2) Replace the DP34 with a DPP44, which JUST became available at DishStore.NET. (The link is on the front page of this forum.) It will basically hook up just like the DP34, but with a fourth input; hook the SuperDish 105 LNB to the input labeled for FSS connections, and the three existing cables (or the SuperDish 110/119 LNBs and just the Dish300) to the others.

The all-legacy solution would involve replacing the DishPro LNBs and switches with legacy equipment. However, there are technical issues with that setup that are beyond my knowledge. These things I do know:
(a) You MUST have dual outputs on that Ku-band LNB to even consider it; otherwise you might as well use the DishPro solution above.
(b) You MUST replace the DishPro LNBs with legacy LNBs--either three duals (two on the Dish500, one on the Dish300) or a quad on the Dish500 and a dual on the Dish300.
(c) You MUST install FOUR cables from the Dish500, and TWO EACH from the Dish300 and 30" dish, to your switches.
(d) You WILL require additional legacy switches; someone else will have to tell you what switches, and in what order they can be connected. I think it can be done, but I can't guarantee it.

I think your best solution (especially if your locals are on the 105 bird, in which case it should be free or at low cost if you re-up for a year) is to get a professionally-installed SuperDish (replacing both the 30" dish and Dish500) and a DPP44, keeping only your existing Dish300. (PLEASE NOTE: Your local installers might not yet have the DPP44 or be familiar with it, so be careful who you deal with.) That is, unless you can get some help installing all the new legacy LNBs, cables and switches...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)