4 tvs

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
well, how does this work?
I am the owner of a duplex and have a 522 feeding two tvs. My tenent wants to get dish also, do they need to do there own thing? or can I get a 4 tv set up on my ocount and set them up?
Thanks

You can share the same dish - if it's got the right LNBF. As you know, you need 2 feeds for your box - you'll need 2 feeds for the other one, too. You almost certainly have a DishPro setup - probably with a Twin LNBF. To hook up the other 522, you need a Quad to replace the Twin, or add a DP34 to it.

Account sharing is a no-no - and you run the risk of getting stuck with their PPV bill. Plus, you most likely won't be able to add a 522 to your existing account anyway.

Ok, I understand the account sharing part.
Is it better to have two dish's or is sharing just as good?
If sharing is fine, can I as the owner of the home make sure Dish installers use this option and is is part of the free install or will there be additional install charges for my tenants? I have a new roof and would like to keep the wholes to a minimum.
Thank you
Lenny

The installer should not have any issues about sharing a dish on the same building. You need to make sure the LNBF is a Quad so that you have 2 feeds for each side of the house. You also want it to be DishPro so that it is easy to add a DP34 switch to add move tuners down the road. ;)

When installer calls to make appointment - tell him this. He should have no argument trading you a Quad for your Twin - it saves him time. :)

blockisle9 said:
Thanks!
I have a Dish 500 now,

I take it you mean you have the Dish 500 dish.. which looks at just Sats 119 and 110.

Thats good. Means its less complex for the installer. He will want to switch out the dish Pro Twin for a Quad. some installers are clueless as to why a dp34 could be used. some are great (alot of them are on these boards) If only there was a happy median and we could get rid of the lower ends.

blockisle9 said:
Ok, I understand the account sharing part.
Is it better to have two dish's or is sharing just as good?
If sharing is fine, can I as the owner of the home make sure Dish installers use this option and is is part of the free install or will there be additional install charges for my tenants? I have a new roof and would like to keep the wholes to a minimum.
Thank you
Lenny

Ahh, you can share. Here's the drill. Basically here's what I would do if I were you. I would buy two receiver off ebay or get an existing customer promotion from dish. You'll get it installed for free if you pick the second option only you'll have to sign another contract :(.
Your also going to need a new quad LNB. I don't know how old your existing receivers are but if they DP on them then your good. Installation companies charge if they have to break out their Legacy equipment.

Now when the installer arrives, let him know you are the landlord and you want 2 receivers installed in the other part of the duplex for your "good friends." The installer should be fine with it unless he's a punk.
Then I would set up parental lock on those two other receivers so that the tenants can't order any pay-per-view movies or events.
Now you can give your tenants the hook up on tv! Just include it in their rent!

If you live in the structure and own it and then sublet half of it, I think your safe legally. It's the same concept as having a roommate that you would share the satellite bill with. You can really be expected to get a seperate account per each adult under 1 roof?
This isn't nazi germany so don't think like a german!
Think like an American who get's charged too much for everything!

need email adress

301 question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)