$40 government coupon for STBS...True?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi all,
I've seen this mentioned in a couple threads but can't find anything outside this website.

Is this program going to happen? Is there a link you guys know of that could shed some light on it?

....and can I get the money later if I bought my STB last week???/

The coupon is not for an STB. It is for a converter.

It can ONLY have SD outputs, NO HDMI, NO component, NO hard drive - VIRTUALLY WORTHLESS unless you have an old analog TV that needs a channel 3 or 4 input from the converter to see SD digital TV after February 2009.

They start taking applications in January 2008. No after the fact refunds. Once issued, they're good for 3 months. Then they expire.

The only input allowed is from an OTA antenna.

Here's a link.

Be sure to look at Technical Appendix 2 at the bottom of this link for forbidden features.

The only input allowed is from an OTA antenna.
Considering the whole point of the subsidy is to help people keep tv free that can't afford it, then having the only input be OTA, and a standard output (RF and/or composite) makes sense. It keeps the people with what they have.

If they want more, than they can pay for, and not feed at the public trough.

I agree the boxes will do what theya re intended to do. They weere never intended to help those with HD monitors.

BTw isn'ta convertera type of STB?

It can ONLY have SD outputs, NO HDMI, NO component, NO hard drive - VIRTUALLY WORTHLESS unless you have an old analog TV that needs a channel 3 or 4 input from the converter to see SD digital TV after February 2009.
Virtually worthless to who ?? People with satellite or cable, HDTVs, etc ?? Yeah, they are to them.... That's not the point of the coupons though. The coupons are for someone who can't afford (or chooses not to buy) a new TV with a digital tuner and can't afford (or chooses not to subscribe to) cable or satellite services, i.e. only uses an antenna for free TV.

But since it is desirned to help those in that class why condemn it because it does not do something it was never intended to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts