Sep 1, 2005
Hey I got a new dish!
43"X40" inch channel master $25.00
Mast free
Lnb 60.00 not bought yet
RG6 not bought yet
Pansat 2700A 115.00
Hours of stuff to do priceless

also, size is making me think that it's good, uhhh are these dishes good?

my 1.2M Channel Master dish (Prime*) is GREAT! Love it!!!!

Has anyone painted their dish (any size) with a metallic spray paint? Did it help reception?

MD

saidias said:
my 1.2M Channel Master dish (Prime*) is GREAT! Love it!!!!

Has anyone painted their dish (any size) with a metallic spray paint? Did it help reception?

MD

Good question... I am not too for sure it would make a difference though, as it's not a light wave that is being reflected.

Dish catches the signal, and the LNB reads it off the back of the dish OR the signal is reflected back to the LNB and the signal is read by the LNB like the back of the eye reads light waves? I am not sure how that part works.

But either way, if painting it a brighter color makes the signal reflect better that would also imply that the color would change the wave length, and that would change the signal, possibly corrupt it. What about the intensity of the wave though? Okay if intensity made a difference and the LNB reads off the dish its self then making the dish brighter would be bad maybe as it would create noise, however if the signal is reflected into the LNB then a brighter color to make the signal reflect more intensely would be good. I am going to make a hypothesis that color makes no difference because of how high the frequency is; I however, am not going to test the hypothesis as I don’t want to buy paint, but my dish might look kind of cool painted a midnight metallic blue ? AHHHHEWWW I know I know, AIR BRUSH KIT!!!!! This could be a start of an all new fad…

The rule of thumb is to not use a metallic paint. I believe this is because the signal will need to pass through the metallic paint (degrading signal) twice on the way to the LNB.

I've seen dishes painted many colors and the color doesn't seem to affect much. I'd pick a color that blends nice :cool: .

Shawn

havenx said:
So no clear coat or gloss then too?
I have done satin clear over an off-white and well as a semi-gloss brown and I didn't have any problems with either.

Some say that gloss increases the chance that the reflected heat from the sun could potentially fry the LNB. I supposed it 'could' happen.

Shawn

channel master/primestar

hi,
i have a channel master/primestar dish with out support arms. mine measures in at 39 3/4 inch horizontal and 43 1/2 inch vertical. i see your dish is almost exactly the same size. would appreciate if you could send me the lengths of the three support arms so that i can make a set.
tnxs, john

The bottom short one is 24" and the sides are 34 1/2 with the bends... because of the bends on the dish side it si hard to get an exact measurement, however you can adjust the lnb front and aft in the lnb bracket.

I have this image of the metallic paint reflecting so much sunlight onto the LNB that it catches on fire.... have you ever seen those adverts for the little parabolic mirror cigarette lighter? Now make the mirror much, much larger.....

primestar measurements

thanks for the info on the primestar support arms. i will try to make them this weekend if time permits.

tnxs, john

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)