450' cable run. need help.

rking16

Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
LA
I am in the process of moving to a camp that is in a densely wooded area. The nearest spot with a clear shot that won't require $10,000 of tree cutting is 390' from the camp. I added 60' to this to run the cable through the camp. I am working with Dish Network but find it extremely difficult to get any answers from them. I was told by an engineer friend that using rg-11 would be best for a run this long. First, I am wondering if this information is correct. Second, what type of amplification would I need if any at all. I understand I would need to run 2 cables to connect 4 tv's. Any help is greatly appreciated. Has anyone ran cable this far?

Rg11 would be a huge advantage for a run like that. I would try it with just the rg 11 first and see how it works. A few months back I installed a 300' run with rg 11 for a customer and had absolutely no issues. I also installed close to a 500' run inside one of embarq's call centers using rg 6 about 5 years ago and it is still working. That was with a super dish and a 510 receiver.

I'd go for RG11, there's a slight chance RG6 may work but it'd be a waste to run all that cable to find out it doesn't. The difference in losses as you get that long in length are much less for RG11 vs RG6.

I echo the post above, try with RG11 and no amps first, if that doesn't work properly you can add an amp.

Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I will use the rg11 first and see how it works. I want want to get an hd dual tuner receiver. What would be the best dish receiver combo?

Thanks a lot for your help. I guess I will use the rg11 first and see how it works. I want want to get an hd dual tuner receiver. What would be the best dish receiver combo?
By all means ,please let us know how you make out with this.

Thanks!!!

Would rg11 also work for a hughesnet install at this distance?

No, hughesnet is completely different. I would not use more than 100'(rg 6 solid copper 3ghz) from dish to modem. You could make up the difference with cat 5 or a good long range wireless router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)