4dtv 922 - No analog - No digital

Status
Please reply by conversation.

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
It seems my 4dtv 922 is now just a dish mover.
I wanted to watch the analog Directv satellite launch and discovered that I only get snow on all analog channels. I tried DC2 channels and I get no lock. Signal is 100 and Quality is 99 on all DC2 channels that I checked. The signal occasionally drops to 10 and then back to 100. The lnbs are fine as my FTA receivers all work as does the Broadlogic Spectrum analyzer. They are connected via splitters with power passing to the 4dtv. Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

I tried PBS on AMC 2/4 and a few others that I could see on the Broadlogic Spectrum analyzer.

I removed the splitters and still no analog or digital. I'm thinking the tuner is bad or maybe it's not getting power?

I recently replaced my 7 1/2 foot dish with a 10 foot dish. I had to pull the 4dtv out to swap the M1 and M2 wires around because the motor on the actuator that came with the 10 foot dish ran the wrong way when I installed it. I'm not sure if the problem started after I replaced the dish or if it happened before and I had not noticed it. I have no DC2 subscriptions and I don't usually watch the analog channels.

Something could have happened the 4DTV's tuner. You could see if the connector broke off the circuit board.

It seems my 4dtv 922 is now just a dish mover.

Welcome to the club. :D Only mine gets analog and digital looks like this. :(

I'd love to replace it with either a modified *choice box or a 5DTV.:p

Attachments

• 101_1538 (Large).JPG
    101_1538 (Large).JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 189
If you are an electronic tech, you would have to get the your hands on the schematics for the the 920. That would be hard to do. Also you would need to be setup to be able to swap our SMD technology. For the tinkerer you would be better off to see if you can find a working unit with a toasted dish mover and swap out the main board. Make sure you grab one with a good unit ID though.

If you want to play with HITS alone you could grab a 410 for dirt on Flea bay. I think Skyvision charges a $40.00 fee to authorize boxes not bought from them. So lets say you pick up a 410 for $10.00 on flea bay your ahead of the game.

I subscribe to the MTV mini pack with VH1 Classic in it. Although I rather get the masters on C3 if they would sell them to us again :( The HITS channels fill the void. CMC definitely knows how to use the old 19510 Mpeg 2 technology to the maximum for picture quality. Unlike Crawford does for NPS over on G3. That is stirring up all kind of gripes in another thread. :eek: Since NPS can't get it right they should shut down G3 IMHO.

If your screen is like what kbghdg is showing then maybe you could check the cables from the 4DTV to your tv.
Sometimes these cables can degrade the signal from the receiver to the tv.
Just something to throw at you...

Mine was similar to yours. My coax input (to the LNBF) has a short in it. After I tighten up the RG-6 coax end, I have to move the coax around to get the signal from the LNBF to do right, and since the wall is only inches from the back of the 4DTV I have to rest the coax a certain way to hold the signal.
I haven't have the chance yet to see if I can open the modulator to maybe solder the central point where the copper wire comes in and make contact.
When I was reading your post and you mention how the signal and quality varies, I figured you may have the same problem I have,

It's fixed. It was operator error. When I put up the 10 foot dish to replace the 7 1/2 foot dish, I disconnected the lnbs. When I reconnected them, I connected the C band lnb to the ku splitter and I connected the KU lnb to the C band splitter.:eek:

It's fixed. It was operator error. When I put up the 10 foot dish to replace the 7 1/2 foot dish, I disconnected the lnbs. When I reconnected them, I connected the C band lnb to the ku splitter and I connected the KU lnb to the C band splitter.:eek:

oops ;)

But at least it was something simple :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)