4dtv battery threshhold and front cover needed.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
1. What is the lowest the voltage the back up battery in the 4dtv should go before one needs to worry about replacement? I have one and its 3.2 volts.

2. Does anyone have a front cover for a 920/922?

1. What is the lowest the voltage the back up battery in the 4dtv should go before one needs to worry about replacement? I have one and its 3.2 volts.

1. It is more of a matter of age! When the battery nears its 10 year mark then it should be changed. The lithium battery will last a good 10 years and then they just die! :eek:

2. Are you talking about the whole front display panel?
I have a dead 922 that might be a likely donor! :angel:

Did all the front cover tabs that connect it crumble away on you? My old 920 did that when I changed the battery.

I just repaired it by cutting popsicle sticks (yeah, I know) to the proper length & drilling a hole in the sticks to put the mounting screws through. Then I wrapped the other end with the appropriate amount of electrical tape to make the ends fit snug into the remaining square shaped compartments on the back of the cover.

It's quite a rig, but it works. You may find that any salvaged 920 front cover is also too brittle to survive an uninstall/reinstall.

Cheers

Anony55 said:
You may find that any salvaged 920 front cover is also too brittle to survive an uninstall/reinstall.

Cheers
Yup same thing happen here on a few when changing bat.

No. Its not the tabs. The front faceplate is damaged on the sides. Most likely when the receiver was shipped to me.

Could one replace the 4dtv battery while its still on? I'm not a ninny, and know where the high voltage areas of this receiver are.If I could plug it in, and leave it on while I'm going it, that would be swell.

coinmaster32 said:
Could one replace the 4dtv battery while its still on? I'm not a ninny, and know where the high voltage areas of this receiver are.If I could plug it in, and leave it on while I'm going it, that would be swell.

Yup sure can.

However don't push the leads to far in.

I think it's easier to just remove the board that way one can solder from the bottom and top. (920)

Have not change bat in my 922 yet.

410's and 905's are a walk in the park

Last edited:
If it's your first time don't let any sweet drop. :) LOL

coinmaster32 said:
Knowing my luck, the power will flicker while I'm doing it.

Just don't cut the old battery out till the new one is installed.

Battery Change

After recently changing batteries in 920+922 I recommend removing Motherboard, covering powersupply & front panel area with plastic put some magnets around hole area and drill a 3 inch hole in bottom of case below where battery is located. This totally removes concerns of going to far through motherboard with new battery leads, because there is hardly any room under there. My 922 actually had tape on bottom of motherboard in that area.

7ninty's Albums

I changed both batteries with units plugged in, had no problems, just desoldered both batteries from top about 4 minutes both times, used wires with some homemade wire ends I made out of old computer parts. If you have old videocipher module you could dismantle remove battery and get leads off it to engineer a connector to your new battery. You have to have something right size to go in those motherboard holes which are quite small.

The battery holder has tabs. Why can you just remove old battery, put the new in, and solder it in there?

coinmaster32 said:
The battery holder has tabs. Why can you just remove old battery, put the new in, and solder it in there?

I think you can. Just keep it plugged in. I would just install the new one then cut the old one out.

Always replace the battery, even if you don't need it. The original batteries just die, you cannot measure it (manufacturing, chemistry?). I would not recommend doing so while the unit is plugged in, for Darwin's sake. They get this a lot with arcade cabs, you jump it just like a car while you swap it out.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.