4K Events Discussion Thread

The Alabama-Texas game was in 4K on Saturday, on Dish.
What channel did you watch that game on? If it wasn't on a 540-01 or 02 it definitely wasn't 4K. It may have looked good because they used 4K cameras in the stadium. By time it got to us it was 1080i. The only way to watch ESPN 4K, as far as I know it via DirectTV and YoutubeTV.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What channel did you watch that game on? If it wasn't on a 540-01 or 02 it definitely wasn't 4K. It may have looked good because they used 4K cameras in the stadium. By time it got to us it was 1080i. The only way to watch ESPN 4K, as far as I know it via DirectTV and YoutubeTV.
It was on 540-03.

Next Saturday's game, Tennessee at Florida on channel 540-03 is in my Guide as well.

Watched the Texas - Alabama game and it was definitely in 4K. What I really liked was no commercials were shown! They used an endzone shot for the entire commercial time. It was fun to watch the pregame show and the band at half time.

I have an issue viewing 4K today - I am recording the Penn-Ohio game. When I went to the DVR screen and clicked on the game to play it, a message box came up on the screen in the upper right corner. It said something to the effect of "the option you have chosen may result in higher energy consumption". I think it was from the tv, an LG oled. The game is playing fine, BUT, when I go the the dvr recordings screen, the background is noticeably darker than usual, I would call it black.

When I first started viewing the recording, all I got was a black screen. Skip or FF didn't get it going. I did a reboot and it played ok.

Watched the World Series Game 1 on 540-01. The picture is fantastic but the colors are slightly darker on 540-01 4K HDR compared to Fox 28 1080i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched the World Series Game 1 on 540-01. The picture is fantastic but the colors are slightly darker on 540-01 4K HDR compared to Fox 28 1080i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDR has been shown to be the cause of that darkness across all forms of reception, DISH satellite, all forms of streaming, etc.

I have found that with HDR is sometimes it's better when off. But how I tell what's going on, is how "Dynamic Contrast" reacts. Off, Dark & Flat and as I turn it up and it looks better that's true HDR. Better when off and it gets darker as I turn it up, not HDR or the kind where you turn off DC and go from there.

Sent from my S61Pro using Tapatalk

Sure wish ESPN/Dish would broadcast all of the bowl games on 4K HDR this season..at least the playoff games should be on it. I still can't believe we are almost in to 2024 basically 15 years after HD really took off and we've still not moved on to 4K HDR feeds as a default norm yet. Lets sell a cool 8K TV yet you can't even get 4K programming for your likely now 10year old 4K TV lol I mean isn't it crazy at the lack of push for 4K HDR programming? The sports broadcasting from ESPN for example I would have thought to have been leading the charge here to keep subs before they fail which seems to be soon.

Sure wish ESPN/Dish would broadcast all of the bowl games on 4K HDR this season..at least the playoff games should be on it. I still can't believe we are almost in to 2024 basically 15 years after HD really took off and we've still not moved on to 4K HDR feeds as a default norm yet. Lets sell a cool 8K TV yet you can't even get 4K programming for your likely now 10year old 4K TV lol I mean isn't it crazy at the lack of push for 4K HDR programming? The sports broadcasting from ESPN for example I would have thought to have been leading the charge here to keep subs before they fail which seems to be soon.
Until someone sponsers it, read pays for it, it isn’t going to happen.

As been mentioned here and on avs , the issue is content owners not producing 4k
Content owners produce tons in 4K, just not shown on traditional providers.

For a little example, from Traditional Paid Live TV, new FX shows are in 4K on Hulu, Paramount shows, including Yellowstone (original) are in 4K, CBS show on Paramount+ are supposed to be in 4K by Fall 2024 ( that is the plan), HBO and Showtime programming are in 4K on their streaming services, etc, etc.

Then of course all the streaming services
Paramount, Disney, Netflix and now MAX, etc all produce and show their new content in 4K, have been for years.

Then movies on services like Vudu, itunes, are in 4K.

ESPN does show some games in 4K, they just do not have a agreement with Dish, they do with DirecTV and YTTV.

ESPN does show some games in 4K, they just do not have a agreement with Dish, they do with DirecTV and YTTV.
More recently Dish and ESPN have had some kind of agreement. There were several ESPN 4K games on channel 540-03.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 8.54.09 AM.png