4K Events Discussion Thread

They've been advertising it for weeks on other games. Mostly with Samsung QLED TV showing.
That has nothing to do with streaming. ESPN has been providing several events in 4K this season and none of them have been streamed, just via DirecTv and some cable companies.

Comparing the 4K picture of the Ohio State Wisconsin game on 540-01 with the 1080i picture on 150. The 4K channel is commercial free.

The colors are much more vivid on channel 150. I tried adjusting the color space on my Sony XBR-65X900E from Auto to BT.2020 but the colors are still washed out compared to the 1080i broadcast on channel 150.

This is probably a result of Dish broadcasting the Fox Sports 4K HDR broadcast on a non HDR channel.

If you ignore the washed out colors the picture is quite good - very clear and sharp. It is only when you compare it to channel 150 that you notice the washed out colors. I wish that Dish would broadcast using the 540-02 (4K HDR channel).

Go Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Comparing the 4K picture of the Ohio State Wisconsin game on 540-01 with the 1080i picture on 150. The 4K channel is commercial free.

The colors are much more vivid on channel 150. I tried adjusting the color space on my Sony XBR-65X900E from Auto to BT.2020 but the colors are still washed out compared to the 1080i broadcast on channel 150.

This is probably a result of Dish broadcasting the Fox Sports 4K HDR broadcast on a non HDR channel.

If you ignore the washed out colors the picture is quite good - very clear and sharp. It is only when you compare it to channel 150 that you notice the washed out colors. I wish that Dish would broadcast using the 540-02 (4K HDR channel).

Go Ohio State.
Liked, except for the last three words.....

• Angry
Reactions: pattykay

Go Ohio State.

I did a little test last night. I watched a bit of the basketball game on channels 150 and 540. I also watched via my AppleTV 4K, Roku Ultra, and Firestick 4K. 150 looked way better than 540. As you said 540 looked washed out. The Apple TV, which doesn't do HDR for Fox Sports looked as bad as 540. Then there was the Roku and Firestick, both that had HDR 10. They looked very good. So, if you have either a Firestick 4K or a 4K Roku with decent internet speed I would recommend using them for these sports events, especially the upcoming Super Bowl. Your DISH credential will allow you to access these feeds. I wish DISH would enable both the regular UHD and the HDR channels for these. It is certainly worth it.

I did a little test last night. I watched a bit of the basketball game on channels 150 and 540. I also watched via my AppleTV 4K, Roku Ultra, and Firestick 4K. 150 looked way better than 540. As you said 540 looked washed out. The Apple TV, which doesn't do HDR for Fox Sports looked as bad as 540. Then there was the Roku and Firestick, both that had HDR 10. They looked very good.

I agree with you. I used my Dish credentials to log into Fox Sports on my Roku Ultra and the picture and colors are excellent. Unfortunately you need to watch the advertisements.

I could not test my Apple TV 4K and my Firestick 4K since they are both connected to 1080p televisions.

Last edited:
The Apple TV, which doesn't do HDR for Fox Sports looked as bad as 540. Then there was the Roku and Firestick, both that had HDR 10. They looked very good. So, if you have either a Firestick 4K or a 4K Roku with decent internet speed I would recommend using them for these sports events, especially the upcoming Super Bowl.

That’s good to know because I was about ready to pull the trigger on a new Apple TV 4K (I have an older version Apple TV). But I want to get the best possible picture for 4K whether it’s using the Fox Sports app or Amazon Prime 4K. So it sounds like I should go with either a Roku or Firestick? Do you prefer one over the other and if so, why?
I also noticed Roku offers the Ultra and also the 4K stick. The Ulta appears to have a faster processor. Is that something that makes a big difference in streaming or is the stick sufficient?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I did a little test last night. The Apple TV, which doesn't do HDR for Fox Sports looked as bad as 540.

I am surprised that the Apple 4K TV did not do HDR for Fox Sports. According to the technical specs it does HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Below is an article I found.

Apple TV 4K is built to take full advantage of 4K HDR so you can enjoy TV in the highest quality ever. Apple TV 4K supports the following 4K display formats:
4K Standard Dynamic Range (SDR): Used for 4K televisions that don’t support HDR10 or Dolby Vision.
4K High Dynamic Range (HDR): Used for 4K televisions that support HDR to display video with a broader range of colors and luminance.
4K Dolby Vision: Used for 4K televisions that support Dolby Vision HDR to display video with a broader range of colors and luminance optimized for your television.
When you first connect your Apple TV 4K to a 4K television capable of HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you may be prompted to run a short display test for these formats. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the test, and confirm that you have a clear picture. If Apple TV 4K is unable to confirm that your television can display Dolby Vision or HDR10, it will automatically revert back to the mode it was previously using.
To confirm which video mode your Apple TV 4K is using, go to Settings > Video and Audio. From here, you can manually select a display format.
Get the best picture
Apple TV 4K is designed to provide the best viewing experience based on the capabilities of your 4K television. In some situations, you may experience issues or need to manually check your configuration. This could include:
Television image is tinted, color is too bright, or has intermittent or no video.
Intermittent static, snow, or sparkles on the screen.
Unable to use HDR or Dolby Vision on a supported television.
Audio issues, like audio drops, noise, or audio/video out of sync.
If you have any of these issues, make sure that your Apple TV has the latest version of tvOS. Then follow the steps below.

Make sure that your television supports HDR10 or Dolby Vision
In order for Apple TV 4K to automatically set your display format to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, your television must be able to display HDR10 or Dolby Vision at 60Hz (50Hz in Europe). Apple TV 4K can display these formats at 30Hz (25Hz in Europe), but you’ll need to enable Match Dynamic Range in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content. If you aren’t sure which formats your television supports, check the user manual for your television.

Use the correct HDMI input and settings
Depending on your television, you may need to use a different HDMI input on your television for high quality 4K or HDR video. For example, some televisions only support HDR on HDMI input 2 or HDMI input 3. Check your television’s user guide to identify which inputs support 4K and HDR. In addition to using the correct HDMI input, you may need to enable HDR10 or Dolby Vision in the video or HDMI settings on your television. In some cases, the setting may not refer directly to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, examples include Ultra, Deep, or Enhanced video or color.

Update the software on your television
If you have a display issue, such as color that is tinted or too bright, partial images, or audio/video sync, make sure that your television is using the most recent software. Most 4K-capable televisions and receivers can connect to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network to update the software. For instructions on how to update the software, check the built-in help for your television, the owner’s manual, or manufacturer’s website.

Check your HDMI cable
4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.
If there's an issue with your HDMI cable, you might see a message on your Apple TV that says that your HDMI cable might be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. To check your HDMI cable connection, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Check HDMI Connection to run a 2 minute test.
If you still experience issues with your HDMI cable connection, check all of your connections and make sure that your HDMI cable has the label “Compatible Dolby Vision.”

Check other components
If you're using other components, like an audio video receiver, HDMI switch, or sound bar, temporarily connect your Apple TV 4K directly to your television. If the issue doesn’t occur when directly connected to your television, check the following:
Receiver or sound bar
If you're using an audio video receiver or sound bar, you should check its capabilities, connections, settings, as well as the following:
Verify that your receiver is capable of displaying 4K and higher video, and that you're using HDMI inputs that support 4K and HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 signals.
Receivers that support HDR10 or Dolby Vision often require a firmware update to add this support.
Check the video and HDMI settings on your receiver after updating, as you may need to enable enhanced HDMI in settings.
Make sure that all the HDMI cables connecting your Apple TV 4K to your television and receiver are compatible with 4K and HDR video.
Other HDMI accessories
HDMI switch boxes, HDMI splitters, or other accessories that connect your Apple TV 4K to your television may interfere with the HDMI signal. If you’re able to resolve the issue after removing these, check with the manufacturer to determine whether they support 4K and HDR video.

Get more help
If your Apple TV 4K only displays a black screen or briefly displays an Apple logo before going to a black screen, learn what to do.
For all other issues, contact Apple Support.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Commercial Free...
Sounds great,
It would be great,
IF,
They stayed with the event feed.

I've decided the 'dead air' still photo 'non commercials on the 4K feeds
Are more annoying than the
Relentlessly Overly Repetative Commercials on the 1080 channels

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

I am surprised that the Apple 4K TV did not do HDR for Fox Sports. According to the technical specs it does HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Below is an article I found.

Apple TV 4K is built to take full advantage of 4K HDR so you can enjoy TV in the highest quality ever. Apple TV 4K supports the following 4K display formats:
4K Standard Dynamic Range (SDR): Used for 4K televisions that don’t support HDR10 or Dolby Vision.
4K High Dynamic Range (HDR): Used for 4K televisions that support HDR to display video with a broader range of colors and luminance.
4K Dolby Vision: Used for 4K televisions that support Dolby Vision HDR to display video with a broader range of colors and luminance optimized for your television.
When you first connect your Apple TV 4K to a 4K television capable of HDR10 or Dolby Vision, you may be prompted to run a short display test for these formats. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the test, and confirm that you have a clear picture. If Apple TV 4K is unable to confirm that your television can display Dolby Vision or HDR10, it will automatically revert back to the mode it was previously using.
To confirm which video mode your Apple TV 4K is using, go to Settings > Video and Audio. From here, you can manually select a display format.
Get the best picture
Apple TV 4K is designed to provide the best viewing experience based on the capabilities of your 4K television. In some situations, you may experience issues or need to manually check your configuration. This could include:
Television image is tinted, color is too bright, or has intermittent or no video.
Intermittent static, snow, or sparkles on the screen.
Unable to use HDR or Dolby Vision on a supported television.
Audio issues, like audio drops, noise, or audio/video out of sync.
If you have any of these issues, make sure that your Apple TV has the latest version of tvOS. Then follow the steps below.

Make sure that your television supports HDR10 or Dolby Vision
In order for Apple TV 4K to automatically set your display format to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, your television must be able to display HDR10 or Dolby Vision at 60Hz (50Hz in Europe). Apple TV 4K can display these formats at 30Hz (25Hz in Europe), but you’ll need to enable Match Dynamic Range in Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content. If you aren’t sure which formats your television supports, check the user manual for your television.

Use the correct HDMI input and settings
Depending on your television, you may need to use a different HDMI input on your television for high quality 4K or HDR video. For example, some televisions only support HDR on HDMI input 2 or HDMI input 3. Check your television’s user guide to identify which inputs support 4K and HDR. In addition to using the correct HDMI input, you may need to enable HDR10 or Dolby Vision in the video or HDMI settings on your television. In some cases, the setting may not refer directly to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, examples include Ultra, Deep, or Enhanced video or color.

Update the software on your television
If you have a display issue, such as color that is tinted or too bright, partial images, or audio/video sync, make sure that your television is using the most recent software. Most 4K-capable televisions and receivers can connect to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network to update the software. For instructions on how to update the software, check the built-in help for your television, the owner’s manual, or manufacturer’s website.

Check your HDMI cable
4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.
If there's an issue with your HDMI cable, you might see a message on your Apple TV that says that your HDMI cable might be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. To check your HDMI cable connection, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Check HDMI Connection to run a 2 minute test.
If you still experience issues with your HDMI cable connection, check all of your connections and make sure that your HDMI cable has the label “Compatible Dolby Vision.”

Check other components
If you're using other components, like an audio video receiver, HDMI switch, or sound bar, temporarily connect your Apple TV 4K directly to your television. If the issue doesn’t occur when directly connected to your television, check the following:
Receiver or sound bar
If you're using an audio video receiver or sound bar, you should check its capabilities, connections, settings, as well as the following:
Verify that your receiver is capable of displaying 4K and higher video, and that you're using HDMI inputs that support 4K and HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 signals.
Receivers that support HDR10 or Dolby Vision often require a firmware update to add this support.
Check the video and HDMI settings on your receiver after updating, as you may need to enable enhanced HDMI in settings.
Make sure that all the HDMI cables connecting your Apple TV 4K to your television and receiver are compatible with 4K and HDR video.
Other HDMI accessories
HDMI switch boxes, HDMI splitters, or other accessories that connect your Apple TV 4K to your television may interfere with the HDMI signal. If you’re able to resolve the issue after removing these, check with the manufacturer to determine whether they support 4K and HDR video.

Get more help
If your Apple TV 4K only displays a black screen or briefly displays an Apple logo before going to a black screen, learn what to do.
For all other issues, contact Apple Support.

Yes, the ATV 4K is capable of HDR, all versions, except maybe HLG, but the Fox Sports app has not been updated to allow it. This is a Fox Sports app issue, Fox writes the app, not an ATV issue. It is well documented over on the AVS Forum. There is no need to go through all the troubleshooting listed above because all the other apps do HDR just fine.

Yes, the ATV 4K is capable of HDR, all versions, except maybe HLG, but the Fox Sports app has not been updated to allow it. This is a Fox Sports app issue, Fox writes the app, not an ATV issue. It is well documented over on the AVS Forum. There is no need to go through all the troubleshooting listed above because all the other apps do HDR just fine.
One could just as easily say
ATV doesn't have the particular HDR codec that Fox Sports app uses,
Clearly,
This is an ATV issue,
As other devices do have that particular codec.

Apple Fanboys Club,
Not a member
;)

One could just as easily say
ATV doesn't have the particular HDR codec that Fox Sports app uses,
Clearly,
This is an ATV issue,
As other devices do have that particular codec.

Apple Fanboys Club,
Not a member
;)

It is up to Fox Sports to write the code for the ATV that the ATV can decode, not the other way around. Each device has it's own code and it is up to the app writer to code to each devices needs. It's a lot like the Netflix and Joey conundrum from a while back. The Joey would accept what Netflix was sending to it but Netflix kept holding it back to fine tune it. Now, it is possible that Apple is holding back on the HDR code for Fox Sports for some reason and wants them to fix whatever it deems improper for its device.

Reactions: pattykay and dweber
It is up to Fox Sports to write the code for the ATV that the ATV can decode, not the other way around. Each device has it's own code and it is up to the app writer to code to each devices needs. It's a lot like the Netflix and Joey conundrum from a while back. The Joey would accept what Netflix was sending to it but Netflix kept holding it back to fine tune it. Now, it is possible that Apple is holding back on the HDR code for Fox Sports for some reason and wants them to fix whatever it deems improper for its device.
Reality,
This issue belongs to both
FS and ATV.

Do you believe FS really REFUSES to write the changes to the code because its ATV to spite ATV? FS doesn't want to be on ATV?

Or is it because ATVs Operating System requires to much systemic codec changes to work with the already functional codecs of other devices operating systems.

The ;) was intended to relay
A smirk, tongue in cheek...

In the end,
It seems we somewhat agree

Reality,
This issue belongs to both
FS and ATV.

Do you believe FS really REFUSES to write the changes to the code because its ATV to spite ATV? FS doesn't want to be on ATV?

Or is it because ATVs Operating System requires to much systemic codec changes to work with the already functional codecs of other devices operating systems.

The ;) was intended to relay
A smirk, tongue in cheek...

In the end,
It seems we somewhat agree

Yet I get HDR from many other apps just fine like from Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV+, Disney+, Vudu, and Movies Anywhere. If they can work it out why can’t Fox Sports? The AppleTV does HDR well with all of them. I put the blame directly in Fox’s corner.

Yet I get HDR from many other apps just fine like from Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV+, Disney+, Vudu, and Movies Anywhere. If they can work it out why can’t Fox Sports? The AppleTV does HDR well with all of them. I put the blame directly in Fox’s corner.

Do you have a hopper 3? I’m curious how 4K or HDR looks on the Amazon Prime app on the hopper compared to the APT or Roku.

Again,
I was tryin to have some fun with it,
But by your own admission,
Apple is the ONLY major streaming device without the proper codecs...
Not any other major streamer,
Just Apple.

;)

With a smile

Do you have a hopper 3? I’m curious how 4K or HDR looks on the Amazon Prime app on the hopper compared to the APT or Roku.

Yes, I have a Hopper 3. I just did a simple look at The Expanse which is both 4K and HDR10 on both the Hopper and my AppleTV. They were not side by side but I can say that they looked similar but I might give a bare edge to the ATV. If I didn’t already have the ATV already I would be highly satisfied with what I see of Amazon Prime on the Hopper3.

Reactions: smokey982
I tested UHD 4K HDR Amazon Prime content using the Hopper3, Roku Ultra, and the Amazon Prime app on my Sony XBR-65X900E and saw no differences in the picture.

Reactions: charlesrshell