4K Events Discussion Thread

Is the local channel pkg. all that is needed to have access to the SB on the Fox Sports App.? I do have a 4K Firestick so good on that part of it.
If that is the case, then I really have to wonder why Dish is requiring a higher package for their 4K feed:

"4K content requires subscription to America's Top 120 or higher, Latino Max, National Action Pack, or Int'l: World."

Just for hahas, I'm going to record the SB for later comparison on:
  • 540-01
  • Dish provided Fox broadcast
  • OTA Fox broadcast
We know from previous experience that the 4K (non-HDR) will be sharp but washed out. And, I haven't done a Dish v. OTA comparison since getting OTA installed a few months ago....
You want to be careful with that Cosmo. Take a look at your Guide for tomorrow. I think you will see that two of your three recordings are set for skip. The Hopper 3, and all the DVRs in front if it, won’t let you record more than one version of the same event. It makes no sense but it is what it is.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
You want to be careful with that Cosmo. Take a look at your Guide for tomorrow. I think you will see that two of your three recordings are set for skip. The Hopper 3, and all the DVRs in front if it, won’t let you record more than one version of the same event. It makes no sense but it is what it is.
Couldn't he get around that by setting manual timers to record the skipped channels instead?

Couldn't he get around that by setting manual timers to record the skipped channels instead?
Perhaps, I’ve never tried that but I did try what he said he did and I got the result that I posted. my main thrust in the post was to alert him to what was going to happen and that he would be disappointed.

Perhaps, I’ve never tried that but I did try what he said he did and I got the result that I posted. my main thrust in the post was to alert him to what was going to happen and that he would be disappointed.
My main thrust is to try to provide a work-around, so he won't be disappointed. I would also suggest setting the manual timer(s) to start during the pre-game show, just to make sure the Hopper does not read it as being the same event as the Super Bowl. That precaution may or may not be necessary, but it couldn't hurt, just to be on the safe side.

My main thrust is to try to provide a work-around, so he won't be disappointed. I would also suggest setting the manual timer(s) to start during the pre-game show, just to make sure the Hopper does not read it as being the same event as the Super Bowl. That precaution may or may not be necessary, but it couldn't hurt, just to be on the safe side.
I understand your thought and it is appreciated. I just tested your idea and it seems to work. I have both 540-01 and the Fox OTA channel set to record and they are both flagged to record from 3:30 to 8:00 PST.

Thanks for the heads up Bobby. The recording set for 540-01 was set to be skipped as a duplicate. I have corrected that for now at least, and I’ll recheck it tomorrow after the nightly updates just to make sure....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Verge is stating that this “4K Broadcast” is actually upscaled 1080p:
At its core, the 4K HDR broadcasts shouldn’t be that much of a technical change. But as Davies explained to The Verge last year, the devil is in the details. The change to 4K is actually the easier part of the process, according to Davies, since the NFL production pipeline, with its dozens of cameras and specialty slow-motion equipment, still can’t film an entire game in 4K. So it films everything in 1080p and HDR, then upscales it to 4K.

Still, it will be better than the normal 720p Fox OTA programming!

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
Thanks for the heads up Bobby. The recording set for 540-01 was set to be skipped as a duplicate. I have corrected that for now at least, and I’ll recheck it tomorrow after the nightly updates just to make sure....

It looks like all 3 timers survived the nightly updates and are good to go later today....

I found fox sports channel in my LG TV's channel thing. I couldn't find a specific app when looking.
These list and have it but I don't see where it says 4K HDR anywhere.

Been going between my local OTA fox, The Fox 4K Feed on DISH, and the 4K HDR feed on my Roku TV and 4K FIreTV and while the HDR picture has better looking color, they all look about the same with no real PQ difference between the 720p local off air channel and the 4K versions.

I’ve actually noticed the HDR stream on fox sports app is very washed out color wise. The 4k via dish is a bit more saturated and looks nicer.

I’m having the opposite experience. When my tv detects HDR the backlight and contrast settings automatically max out on my tv. They don’t do that with just 4K. So I’m guessing that’s why the app looks better to me.

For me, the Dish 4K is very clear pixel wise. But for some reason it looks really dark. So for my tv the regular Dish Fox channel looks better than the Dish 4K channel. But I feel my Roku Ultra picture is the better of the three. Although not by a huge margin.

I’ve looked at various broadcasts, Dish Fox network, OTA, Dish 4K, AppleTV 4K, Roku 4K HDR, and FireStick 4K HDR. They all look similar to me but Roku stands out. I’ll be watching the game on the Roku provided they don’t go down because of bandwidth.

I have watched using the Fox OTA (720P), Dish channel 540-01 (4K), and Roku (4K). The main difference I noticed was that the Dish channel 540-01 has washed out colors. That is expected since they are not using HDR. I have noticed very little difference in picture clarity. My Roku is probably the best.

One huge difference is that the audio on my Roku is much much louder that the TV OTA or the Hopper3.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: pattykay