4K Events Discussion Thread

I had to flip back and forth to that channel and finally got it to come in. It looked pretty good. But I turned to the Fox Sports app on my Roku Ultra and wow. That picture was crazy good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, I really don't even bother with the DISH channel if it is a Fox Sports event. I go to my Roku Ultra and watch the game in 4K/HDR.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yea!! My Ohio State Buckeyes will be televised in 4K on Thursday. I will need to set a timer. Plus another chance to compare the broadcast on Dish 540-01 (4K no HDR), Dish Fox 28 (1080i), Roku Fox Sports (4K HDR), and Fox 6.3 (OTA 720p).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yea!! My Ohio State Buckeyes will be televised in 4K on Thursday. I will need to set a timer. Plus another chance to compare the broadcast on Dish 540-01 (4K no HDR), Dish Fox 28 (1080i), Roku Fox Sports (4K HDR), and Fox 6.3 (OTA 720p).

Good luck getting it to actually work on Dish. Half the time I get the stupid HDCP black screen message. It’s so irritating.

Good luck getting it to actually work on Dish. Half the time I get the stupid HDCP black screen message. It’s so irritating.

I have only had the problem happen 2 times and only when I was repeatedly bouncing back and forth between Fox 28 and 540-01 to compare the broadcasts.
And to fix the problem I just tuned it a second time.

I have never has a problem with channel 540-01. Even back when I had an old Hitachi 720p 57 inch RPCRT, I could watch 540-1. The picture was low on contrast but it was there and I recorded the 2018 Olympic Opening ceremony (don't know if I still have it).

I actually like the picture on 540-01, it is not over saturated but looks more normal and lifelike than the FOX OTA feed.

During the pregame I have been comparing the picture on my Sony XBR65X900E TV with the following results:

TV Fox 28.1 OTA (720p) has bright vivid colors but less sharp in the details.

Dish Fox 28 (1080i) looks identical to the TV Fox 28.1 picture. Bright vivid colors but less sharp in the details.

Dish 540-01 (3840x2160) is definitely sharper with more detail but the colors are more subdued and less bright.

Fox Sports on my Roku 4 (3840x2160) is the clear winner with bright vivid colors that match the TV Fox 28.1 and Dish Fox 28 but with the sharpness and detail that matches Dish 540-01.

Yep, I really don't even bother with the DISH channel if it is a Fox Sports event. I go to my Roku Ultra and watch the game in 4K/HDR.
So true. For me it's through my FireStick.

I did watch a little while on 540-01 and for me confirmed what I had noticed before: that the colors on night games seem to be a little better than day games. Still nowhere near as good as the HDR through the FS app, but not horrible....

So true. For me it's through my FireStick.

I did watch a little while on 540-01 and for me confirmed what I had noticed before: that the colors on night games seem to be a little better than day games. Still nowhere near as good as the HDR through the FS app, but not horrible....
I notice the night games look better even on the FoxSports app in HDR...

ESPN has a 4K broadcast tonight (Houston vs Texas Tech). I guess Dish does not have an agreement with ESPN for 4K events yet. I'm hopeful NBC's 4K coverage of Notre Dame games will be available after some of the Olympics were shown in 4K, looks like September 25th is the first opportunity per TV Answer Man

Youtube TV (YTTV) the paid version has the 4k game listed for tomorrow (Sat.) Alabama-Birmingham at Georgia.

This is only the 2nd or 3rd game ESPN has had on since they are now on YTTV.

You can join for free two week trial I believe and record game.

You must add the 4k add on package when signing up.

YTTV now has live sports 4k channels (4k 60P) from Fox Sports and FOX, NBC Sports and ESPN. And HDR if offered by the network.

This all started just before the recent Olympics.

The DVR is also unlimited and saves all recordings for 9 months.

It takes some learning but you can record all channels 24/7 if you want . They also have record all college football as an example no matter the channel. Or record all of a given team. Or possibly all of a given sport. Or all NFL , etc. It's pretty slick.

ESPN is not HDR but is true 4k camera's not 1080P upconverted like Fox is doing.

This and FUBO TV (and FUBO TV is terrible and further you can't record the 4k channels and the 4k channels are 30P) are the only choices for 4k live sports besides satellite tv and a few big cable companies.

Dish strips off the HDR and screws up the colors while the other companies do not. Dish IMO is the worst 4k provider and I have dish but soon will probably dump it now that YTTV is here.
And with no contract.

Been with dish for years.

Nothing ever changes with 4k and dish.

DTV is also no longer the golden choice.
They are long in the tooth and ruined by ATT.

Just make sure you get the right streaming box as some will NOT show the 4k or 60P stream from YTTV.

I believe Fire TV cube will work fine (newest version of cube).
Chrome sticks will not. Apple TV 4k (newest has some issues with 4k and YTTV) And Roku will not as Roku and Google are fighting. But I believe there are problems getting above 1440 with Apple TV 4k boxes. Reddit has forums discussing YTTV and the boxes.

You can also watch streams on your computer.
But most likely will be HD unless you've got a newer computer and 4k screen.

Hope the above info helps.

bjf

Hey, this was new, for the first time that I remember, the 540-01 channel was available on my Joey 4K. I was watching the Ohio State vs. Oregon game and it even popped up the HDCP nag once. Since my Sony Bravia is old and 1080p, there was no HDR so the colors were faded (even Mrs. Foxbat commented on “what’s wrong with the color?”).

Now I feel tempted to pick up the LG 48” C1 OLED to replace my 40” Bravia. Thanks, Dish! ;)

Hey, this was new, for the first time that I remember, the 540-01 channel was available on my Joey 4K. I was watching the Ohio State vs. Oregon game and it even popped up the HDCP nag once. Since my Sony Bravia is old and 1080p, there was no HDR so the colors were faded (even Mrs. Foxbat commented on “what’s wrong with the color?”).

Now I feel tempted to pick up the LG 48” C1 OLED to replace my 40” Bravia. Thanks, Dish! ;)
540-01 is 4K but not HDR. With the exception of the Olympics nothing on DISH has been HDR for sports. However, go get that OLED anyway! :)

I had the HDCP dance but one screen gave me the option to use a lower resolution. Would that just redirect me to the HD Fox feed?

I've pretty much given up hope of 4k ever working again on my set. During the Olympics I could just wait and the message would go away but now, nothing. Waiting, up then back, down then back, still get the dreaded error. LG OLED with high quality cables from Monoprice.

For fox sports events have u tried 4K fire stick or another streaming source?

Bad example but users on altice and Xfinity say 4K looks bad but when they use the app /streaming device they say it looks amazing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Notre Dame v. Wisconsin game looked good, but it did not look anywhere as impressive as the Olympics coverage. I know, I know, it isn’t HDR. But if Dish wants to have people pay for 4K, it needs to be clearly superior to HD.