4k from BBCA

It's just my wife & I so we don't need Joeys all over the house. I installed a splitter years ago that were 4k compatible "then". After H3 & purchasing a Samsung 4k set there wasn't any 4k on to test this setup until last years Olympics. It took a day or 2 to realize something was wrong because all they had on was jujitsu, where there's not a lot of detail. At that time an info check detected only 1080i. After bypassing the splitter & inserting the HDMI directly an info check confirmed it was now true UHD; 3840x2160 @ 60P no less!

Between HDMI & HDCP I don't know which one obsoletes equipment faster. HDMI has already changed their spec to v2.0a to support HDR. My new splitter will not pass 4k IF there is an HD set connected to it. If all our sets were 4k I presume all 4k would pass. This splitter is not HDMI 2.0a & neither are my HDMI cables so they're already obsolete for HDR. Love watching 4k but it can be expensive! ;)

Enjoy Planet Earth II, in 4k! :biggrin

First thing I did is find 2 HDMI cables that were verified working and passing 4k from H3 into 4k TV to eliminate any cable issue.
I've got 2 Sony (2016) model X930D 4k units. Thinking what you were both sources would need to be 4k to work, but couldn't get 4k passthrough using 4x2 UHD matrix switch and it didn't matter even with other TV disconnected the switch seems to be the hangup.
There might be other underlying issues with signal strength coming from H3 I'm not aware of. I know cable lengths can come into play if longer than 10' (mine aren't) the amount of data is reduced and even compliant cables are no longer high speed.

The switch I'm using came from Amazon by cable matters called 4x2 UHD Matrix Switch

Rut-roh!

As a test, I recorded a few minutes of the loop that's playing on there now.

If I can get it to playback at all, it spits and sputters like a slow internet connection on a streaming video.

Hopefully just a glitch that won't affect the real program when it airs.

Rut-roh!

As a test, I recorded a few minutes of the loop that's playing on there now.

If I can get it to playback at all, it spits and sputters like a slow internet connection on a streaming video.

Hopefully just a glitch that won't affect the real program when it airs.
Same here - audio skips and pixelation when watching the recording.

I'm going to be seriously P.O.'ed if this thing is actually incapable of recording and playback of 4k satellite content and it has to be seen live. I just found out I have to be out of town for a few days and I sure hope the recording is watchable. I restored all the duplicates just in case.

if i record the 4k, will it play in 1080 without a 4k tv ?? thinking it might look better, and would be nice to archive for a 4k tv in the future. the loop is playing. (any reason to record bbc and the 540 one ??)
happy with my 67a750 and still going strong.
thanks !!

First thing I did is find 2 HDMI cables that were verified working and passing 4k from H3 into 4k TV to eliminate any cable issue.
I've got 2 Sony (2016) model X930D 4k units. Thinking what you were both sources would need to be 4k to work, but couldn't get 4k passthrough using 4x2 UHD matrix switch and it didn't matter even with other TV disconnected the switch seems to be the hangup.
There might be other underlying issues with signal strength coming from H3 I'm not aware of. I know cable lengths can come into play if longer than 10' (mine aren't) the amount of data is reduced and even compliant cables are no longer high speed.

The switch I'm using came from Amazon by cable matters called 4x2 UHD Matrix Switch

Camo - Here's what I'm using, AV Access HDMI 2.0 splitter purchase on Amazon.

As I mentioned in a previous post my original splitter did not pass 4k at all, even with just the 4k TV plugged into it. It probably worked with the older HDMI / HDCP standards but not the new. I wrote warning remarks on Amazon about the older splitter, not to trash the company, but to warn others that this particular splitter would not work properly with new 4k sets with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2. Surprisingly, I was contacted by the company who offered a full refund & asked if I would participate troubleshooting their new splitters. I did & the unit above passed as explained - the unit will not pass 4k if an HD set is present on one of the HDMI outputs. That's normal. This is primarily because of HDCP (content copy protection laws) but also because not knowing if the HD set would down grade 4k to a watchable HD. And you are right that it's important to have compliant HDMI cables as well.

Looks like your Sony's are great sets. 4k HDR should be outstanding on those! Enjoy the show.

Reactions: camo
if i record the 4k, will it play in 1080 without a 4k tv ?? thinking it might look better, and would be nice to archive for a 4k tv in the future. the loop is playing. (any reason to record bbc and the 540 one ??)
thanks !!

Being it was recorded on Dish, I'm guessing Dish would detect your HD set & just might downgrade the rez to HD. Your HD set probably will not down rez 4k for you. I do know by experience that Dish down rezed last summer's Olympics to HD even though the channel was 4k. But, it wouldn't hurt to record the program in HD on Ch 135 just in case. ;)

thanks !!

Being it was recorded on Dish, I'm guessing Dish would detect your HD set & just might downgrade the rez to HD. Your HD set probably will not down rez 4k for you. I do know by experience that Dish down rezed last summer's Olympics to HD even though the channel was 4k. But, it wouldn't hurt to record the program in HD on Ch 135 just in case. ;)

I recorded a few hours of Olympic events and the closing ceremonies on my H3 on the 4K channel. At the time I only had an HDTV. The H3 output 1080i to the HDTV. Then, I transferred that recording to my EHD. I got a new 4K TV a few months back. I watched that recording from my EHD and it and it was 4K to the TV. So, yes, you can record the 4K event and watch it on your HDTV today and watch it later in 4K...

Reactions: JS_racer and DWS44
Camo - Here's what I'm using, AV Access HDMI 2.0 splitter purchase on Amazon.

As I mentioned in a previous post my original splitter did not pass 4k at all, even with just the 4k TV plugged into it. It probably worked with the older HDMI / HDCP standards but not the new. I wrote warning remarks on Amazon about the older splitter, not to trash the company, but to warn others that this particular splitter would not work properly with new 4k sets with HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2. Surprisingly, I was contacted by the company who offered a full refund & asked if I would participate troubleshooting their new splitters. I did & the unit above passed as explained - the unit will not pass 4k if an HD set is present on one of the HDMI outputs. That's normal. This is primarily because of HDCP (content copy protection laws) but also because not knowing if the HD set would down grade 4k to a watchable HD. And you are right that it's important to have compliant HDMI cables as well.

Looks like your Sony's are great sets. 4k HDR should be outstanding on those! Enjoy the show.
HDMI negotiates rates between the source and destination ("sink"). With a splitter in the path, it combines the available rates of both destinations and only passes matching rates to the source. So with a 1080 TV connected to one port, you'll never see UHD on the other TV. I assume that also applies to HDCP capabilities.

Some splitters allow you to ignore one of the ports but that might mean a 1080 TV would not display a picture for UHD video.

TVs will never down-res UHD to 1080.

There is no cable specific to HDMI 2.0 rates. Any cable labeled as "High Speed" is supposed to work for HDMI 2.0. But there are often length limits that prevent a cable from working at the full 18 Gbps rate.

After releasing the HDMI 2.0 spec, a "Premium" cable certification was started that does insure a cable will work at 18 Gbps. Length is definitely a factor. 20 feet is about the limit for cables that meet the Premium certification.

Note that not all "4K"/UHD signals require the full 18 Gbps rate, so a quick check of your cable may not be sufficient. UHD at 30 Hz and 8-bit color will fit in the 10.2 Gbps rates supported by HDMI 1.4.

Sounds good!! Had to unskip one, glad to hear it will be 4k if I upgrade.
Interested to know if the 4k down to 1080 is comparable to the 135 visually, or any difference.

If you set it to record series on both, make sure you check the schedule. You might have to unskip one or the other.
Very true! I had previously set ch 135 HD to recorder the series then I heard of 4k being available. I set cg 540 to record as well but noticed ch 135 is now marked skip over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts