4K Genie Upgrade - Other Boxes??

AistinG1982

Original poster
Jun 21, 2023
USA
Hello,

I am getting a 4K TV. I am also moving into a new house in July.

If I upgrade to a GENIE box, do I have to get rid of my other boxes?

I like the other boxes as I paid for them and they have content I’d like to watch saved, plus I take two of them with me on long RV trips.

Any help is appreciated.

If you get an HR54 Genie then no, but if you get the HS17 you can only use clients with it.

If you get an HR54 Genie then no, but if you get the HS17 you can only use clients with it.
The op can use his other boxes for camping though they would need to be on a seperate dish setup and not tied into the HS-17. we have an H24 on our acct with the HS-17 only to pay the room access fee

The op can use his other boxes for camping though they would need to be on a seperate dish setup and not tied into the HS-17. we have an H24 on our acct with the HS-17 only to pay the room access fee
Are you saying your HS17 and non client boxes are on the same account? If so, it's the only one I've heard of.

Reactions: Jimbo and John2021
Are you saying your HS17 and non client boxes are on the same account? If so, it's the only one I've heard of.
ok so we have the HS-17 server along with 3 C61k clients along with the HR24. thee HR24 is not tied into the HS-17 it's on it's own dish setup. though it wasn't easy to do we had to play hell to do it. our only other options was to suspend one receiver and activate the other one while camping or we could have opened up another acct and pay another bill wich is insane to me...

ok so we have the HS-17 server along with 3 C61k clients along with the HR24. thee HR24 is not tied into the HS-17 it's on it's own dish setup. though it wasn't easy to do we had to play hell to do it. our only other options was to suspend one receiver and activate the other one while camping or we could have opened up another acct and pay another bill wich is insane to me...
I didn't ask if they were on the same dish. I asked if they were on the same account.

That sucks. Will you still be posting here though?
yea i'll still be posting here. i'm glad that we dumped directv. i was sick of dealing with clueless idiots they call tech support. directv by far has the worst customer service reps on the face of this planet!! i don't know why the goverment lets em get away with hiring complete morons. i tried swapping out the G2 and the twit said that she changed the numbers off the tower to the new numbers and told me everything would be ok and hung up. so i look at my online acct and i see that me clients have access card numbers and there not suppossed to. it's that bad. directv is complete garbage in my opinion. and ofcourse it took 20 phone calls and me wanting to murder em :mad: . i will never give em another f**king cent of my money let em sink. HA and the rep told me that they get 5 star ratings for customer satisfaction!!! i just asked who was blowing who to get those ratings.

same here though i always wondered if it was only if it was going to be tied into the G2. i see nothing wrong using a seperate setup..
IF they will allow you to have a HR tied with a HS, why won't they let me have more than 1 HR54 ????

I've told them that the two will NOT be on the same system ..
! will go to the main Home Theatre and the other to the RV ... but No, they continue to Not allow me to do it.

(kinda wondering if SS is allowed to activate the 2nd one for me ??? )

IF they will allow you to have a HR tied with a HS, why won't they let me have more than 1 HR54 ????

I've told them that the two will NOT be on the same system ..
! will go to the main Home Theatre and the other to the RV ... but No, they continue to Not allow me to do it.

(kinda wondering if SS is allowed to activate the 2nd one for me ??? )
You could call SS and see. i used the regular customer service. and belive me it was a fight you had to get blood from a turnip to do it. i had to explain the setup to em about 10 times that it would be on a seperate dish and not tied into the HS 17. i told em it made no sense for me to pay 2 bills nor did it make any sense to shut one system off and turn the other one on!!!. and BTW it took about 20 call in's to get it done!!!!

You could call SS and see. i used the regular customer service. and belive me it was a fight you had to get blood from a turnip to do it. i had to explain the setup to em about 10 times that it would be on a seperate dish and not tied into the HS 17. i told em it made no sense for me to pay 2 bills nor did it make any sense to shut one system off and turn the other one on!!!. and BTW it took about 20 call in's to get it done!!!!
I tried several years ago and explained the situation like you did, to no avail.

The issue is the system that's used for activation. If you check the box for Genie 2 you literally can't add other receivers. It automatically takes them off the account when you activate a Genie 2. There's really nothing we can do, it's not like we don't want to help people out. The system won't let us.

As for multiple Genies, the issue is and always was client attachment. If you have multiple Genies on your account everything works great, except sometimes the clients attach to the wrong Genie and that messes literally everything up.

Of course they could code around the problem. Of course they could. But way back they did a cost benefit analysis and determined the incremental revenue from people who want 2+ Genies doesn't make up for the added cost in Engineering.

Yes,
That was the only route I've tried.
I figure that SS has to go by D*'s rules.
i would try again. though it more than likely won't be easy and you will have to try calling like ten times and explain the situation another ten times. i told em that i refuse to pay two bills let alone call in and swap out boxes as that's insane' i mean what could go wrong in that situation :coco. we had no issues i am wondering if they changed something!!! i don't think half of the time they know what there doing :shh. but yea it was a battle!!!

The issue is the system that's used for activation. If you check the box for Genie 2 you literally can't add other receivers. It automatically takes them off the account when you activate a Genie 2. There's really nothing we can do, it's not like we don't want to help people out. The system won't let us.

As for multiple Genies, the issue is and always was client attachment. If you have multiple Genies on your account everything works great, except sometimes the clients attach to the wrong Genie and that messes literally everything up.

Of course they could code around the problem. Of course they could. But way back they did a cost benefit analysis and determined the incremental revenue from people who want 2+ Genies doesn't make up for the added cost in Engineering.
they should have came up with a better idea to allow HD boxes for camping maybe a second acct number with just the room access fee