4k Joey or Wireless Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PinGorilla

Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Louisiana
Planning to subscribe to Dish in the near future and looking for info to help me decide on getting the new 4k Joey or Wireless Joey for master bedroom. I do not plan on getting a 4k TV for this room and I don't have any issues with Joey to cable outlet connection so I can go either way.

About the only pros I can come up with are:
1. 4k Joey would be faster
2. 4k Joey states it supports bluetooth (Interested in this so I can watch tv with bluetooth headphones and not disturb the wife with the TV sound)

Looking for advice from someone with experience with both products.

Thanks

I have a H3 and Joey 2 and really wish I had spent the extra $50 for a 4K Joey. Going from the super smooth and speedy H3 to the slow joey is not great. Plus if I add a 4K TV it will be where the Joey is not the Hopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am new to Dish and have a Hopper 3 and Two wireless Joeys. In the 2 weeks I've had service I've had a lot of issues that seem to be solely related to the wireless. For example, I currently have no service on either wireless box. But prior to that I had a lot of pixelation and freezing. I'm hoping the fix is easy when the tech gets here tomorrow, but if not, I may see about switching at least one of the two wireless boxes to hardwire. I can say though, the picture was great when it worked right. I also have a patio TV, so I'm hoping it's just an AP issue or something. I like being able to easily move a wireless box from TV to TV with little work.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Planning to subscribe to Dish in the near future and looking for info to help me decide on getting the new 4k Joey or Wireless Joey for master bedroom. I do not plan on getting a 4k TV for this room and I don't have any issues with Joey to cable outlet connection so I can go either way.

About the only pros I can come up with are:
1. 4k Joey would be faster
2. 4k Joey states it supports bluetooth (Interested in this so I can watch tv with bluetooth headphones and not disturb the wife with the TV sound)

Looking for advice from someone with experience with both products.

Thanks
I have the Hopper 3 with three 4K joeys. I really like them. They are nearly as fast as the hopper & very small able to be hid behind tv if needed. The in-laws have a wireless joey that is significantly slower as well as needing to be reset every once in a while.

Reactions: david_jr
The only caveat I would give is the 4K Joey is still new and doesn't have Netflix, PiP, and on mine, doesn't always respond to the remote when I think it should.

Pluses are the compact size and snappiness (when it is responding) of operations. Picture quality is excellent, too. It can be mounted behind your flat screen since it's so light and thin, but I like seeing it as it's a great looking receiver with its red racing stripe!

I install for Dish and let me say I wish I had Wifi Joey at home instead of my Joey 1.0's only because you can literally take the Wofi Joey where ever you want In the house with a TV. Plug into power and HDMi and your set to watch TV.
On the patio in the summer?
In the Garage working on the car?
In the walk in closet ?
Doing business in the bathroom?
Literally wherever you want within reason to the WAP!
Go wifi Joey. Joey 4K is still new and a pain in the arse. Lol

I install for Dish and let me say I wish I had Wifi Joey at home instead of my Joey 1.0's only because you can literally take the Wofi Joey where ever you want In the house with a TV. Plug into power and HDMi and your set to watch TV.
On the patio in the summer?
In the Garage working on the car?
In the walk in closet ?
Doing business in the bathroom?
Literally wherever you want within reason to the WAP!
Go wifi Joey. Joey 4K is still new and a pain in the arse. Lol
But the wifi Joey will never do 4K or PIP.... ;)

Reactions: david_jr
I think wireless joeys should only be used as a last resort. I put one on my back porch about 30' and one wall away from the access point. There are a lot of connectivity issues which can typically be solved via a receiver reset. It is acceptable given it was my only choice, but I wouldn't want these issues on a tv I watched regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your home network gets busy this will affect your wireless Joey.

It most certainly will NOT affect your home network if you have a Dish Wireless Joey and a Dish Access Point. The Dish Access Point creates a separate network that is not connected to your home network.

If you add a wireless adapter to a regular Joey and connect to the Hopper using your home network then of course it will be affected then and only then.

I think wireless joeys should only be used as a last resort. I put one on my back porch about 30' and one wall away from the access point. There are a lot of connectivity issues which can typically be solved via a receiver reset. It is acceptable given it was my only choice, but I wouldn't want these issues on a tv I watched regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't say I have the same experience. (At my daughter's house I do not have a Hopper) She went with two wireless Joey's off a Hopper 3 that is on the first floor both on the second floor one way on the other side of the house. The Hopper access point works terrifically well. No connection problems. And it allows her to bring one into another room as needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)