4K Joey

yes, folks with 4K TV's or any larger sized tv, probably have that as their main tv..............and most likely want the main focus of the dish system....the hopper, connected to that tv
just seems like Dish is going about the process in reverse
But it gets them in the 4K market fast. It is much easier to change a motherboard in a Joey than a Hopper.

and most likely want the main focus of the dish system....the hopper
It makes little to no difference where the Hopper is located. I specifically asked this (in another thread). The only reasons given (granted, there can be more) were: 1) Loss of PIP/SWAP and 2) noise.

What would you lose by having the Hopper not on your main TV ?

just seems like Dish is going about the process in reverse
Depends how you look at it - developing the main system, i.e. a 4K Hopper, would certainly take a lot longer than a 4K Joey. I guarantee you, Dish is working on a 4K Hopper right now. No, I'm not a Dish employee and no, no one from Dish told me this, but I know enough about engineering/design, manufacturing, etc to realize that they'd better be !

The only reasons given (granted, there can be more) were: 1) Loss of PIP/SWAP and 2) noise.

That'd be two big ones for me, plus the lack of options of where to relocate the Hopper. First, I'd hate to lose PIP/Swap on my main TV where I use them the most, and second, the only options I have for moving the Hopper would be my bedroom (not good for noisy receiver that resets in the middle of night w/ reset time that can't be changed) or my garage, which is a wall mounted TV that works perfect with the small wall-mounted Joey...not really any place for the larger Hopper to live at that location.

Scott will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 4K Joey would have PIP/Swap because you will want to use it on your main set-up. Put the Hopper in a ventilated cabinet and use the fanless Joey on the big 4K screen without losing the features you enjoy today.

It makes little to no difference where the Hopper is located. I specifically asked this (in another thread). The only reasons given (granted, there can be more) were: 1) Loss of PIP/SWAP and 2) noise.

Depends how you look at it - developing the main system, i.e. a 4K Hopper, would certainly take a lot longer than a 4K Joey. I guarantee you, Dish is working on a 4K Hopper right now. No, I'm not a Dish employee and no, no one from Dish told me this, but I know enough about engineering/design, manufacturing, etc to realize that they'd better be !

One reason that I would not want to use the Joey for my main viewing is that the I would have to run new cables to another room for the hopper, especially since my joey is wireless

I have to believe that you are correct regarding the 4K hopper. This is a competitive, cut throat business & Dish would fall way behind the curve if they didn't.

!
In my case i would lose satellite channels because for some reason my current joeys will only receive the OTA hannels.

Sent from my iPhone using Safari.

The 4K Joey has PIP/Swap but I suspect that to be functional, it may require the new Hopper with the MoCA 2.0 chip.

The 4K Joey has PIP/Swap but I suspect that to be functional, it may require the new Hopper with the MoCA 2.0 chip.
I don't know why it would since it is supposed to have full backward interoperability with MoCA 1.1

So if you ouput the signal setting to 4k on the 4k joey, will that mean the satellite tv picture will be ouput in 4k as well? Has anyone seen the 4k joey sat picture upconverted to 4k yet? I would be interested to hear how it looks. I 've heard in other reviews that the satellite picture looks pretty bad upconverted to 4k ,because a lack of pixels to fill out the picture.

...I 've heard in other reviews that the satellite picture looks pretty bad upconverted to 4k ,because a lack of pixels to fill out the picture.

Don't know where you get that. The Dish output on my 4k TV is noticeably better than it was on a 1080p TV. In fact the SD channels, like AHC, are sharper, too. Those reviewers must be smoking something...

I'm all ready for this upgrade. I have had an extra Joey next to my family room Hopper since the beginning, to control my second Hopper - set timers and occasionally use one of the extra tuners for live TV. I can switch with one button on my Harmony remote, or use the Tinkerbell mouse pointer on my Samsung TV to switch inputs. Without full Hopper integration, the $7 month cost of the Joey has been worth the convenience.

Don't know where you get that. The Dish output on my 4k TV is noticeably better than it was on a 1080p TV. In fact the SD channels, like AHC, are sharper, too. Those reviewers must be smoking something...

I'm all ready for this upgrade. I have had an extra Joey next to my family room Hopper since the beginning, to control my second Hopper - set timers and occasionally use one of the extra tuners for live TV. I can switch with one button on my Harmony remote, or use the Tinkerbell mouse pointer on my Samsung TV to switch inputs. Without full Hopper integration, the $7 month cost of the Joey has been worth the convenience.

Read this on several different electronic websites reviews about 4k a year or so ago and what satellite picture from both sat services looked like upconverted to 4k. But regardless , you have actually seen the sat picture upconverted to 4k in person? If so the receiver puts out the picture in 4k so all sat and ota channels are upconverted to 4k right?

This is what has made me not want anything to do with 4k in the past. If the sat picture looks worse using 4k ,then I am not for upgrading, till they actually verify that the picture looks noticeably better or at least as good as 1080p HD. In my past, an sd picture over a sd sat receiver never looked that good upconverted over the early hd models of the last decade. So I am thinking that the same might be true with an hd receiver upconverted to 4k. Especially since was put out in early reviews that I have read. That is why I am asking if you have personally seen the satellite picture upconverted to 4k?

If you have a 4k TV, isn't all content @ 4k by the time the display panel gets the video signal? So, if HD @ 4k looks bad from the STB but looks good when fed HD from the STB, the STB sucks at upconverting.

I look forward to the 4k Joey!

Not quite. On a Hopper you have two 1080i images downres'ed by half to fit side by side on a 1080 screen. On a 4K TV both are at full resolution.
Um, I don't know about that. I see two very good looking images on my 70" Sharp, side by side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)