4K Joey

Henceforth, the Hopper will be part of all of their future experiences. That it doesn't do 4K acknowledges that DISH doesn't offer 4K and that the chipset that the Hopper uses can't render 4K. Broadcom only recently started shipping the chipset that can form the basis of a 4K DVR in quantity. The 4K TVs have much of what is needed outside of the DISH specific authentication and decryption hardware.

To give everyone 4K equipment when only a tiny percentage of homes have it is not economically justified. If someone wants to add a 4K TV, they simply add a 4K Joey to their existing system and they're down the road (unless they heavily use PIP in which case they'll want another Hopper).

not everyone will want 4K, just like everyone doesn't have HD, but those that do, like my self will not appreciate having to run additional cable to accommodate the 4K set up. I have 2 hoppers & 1 wireless joey......to accommodate 4K, I would have to start from scratch.......which is something that I would not want to do.

I doubt you would need to do any complicated or invasive cabling to get from where you are to running a 4K joey off of one of the Hoppers. I would imagine you could pull it off with a CAT5 cable.

Henceforth, the Hopper will be part of all of their future experiences. That it doesn't do 4K acknowledges that DISH doesn't offer 4K and that the chipset that the Hopper uses can't render 4K. Broadcom only recently started shipping the chipset that can form the basis of a 4K DVR in quantity. The 4K TVs have much of what is needed outside of the DISH specific authentication and decryption hardware.

To give everyone 4K equipment when only a tiny percentage of homes have it is not economically justified. If someone wants to add a 4K TV, they simply add a 4K Joey to their existing system and they're down the road (unless they heavily use PIP in which case they'll want another Hopper).

The 4k Joey does PIP. There supposedly is no technical reason to desire a hopper over a 4k Joey at any location.