4k only satellite service

In another thread I mentioned the Sky Q service available across the pond. Seems like the Europeans have access to more 4K content than we do.

So... who is going to pony up $100M plus to launch the 4K satellite?

If they lease transponders on an existing satellite, (or either way) how much are you willing to pay per month for the limited 4K content (do I hear grousing about too many repeats?).

I'm guessing (WAG) it might start above $100 per month for 10 maybe channels.

So... who is going to pony up $100M plus to launch the 4K satellite?

If they lease transponders on an existing satellite, (or either way) how much are you willing to pay per month for the limited 4K content (do I hear grousing about too many repeats?).

I'm guessing (WAG) it might start above $100 per month for 10 maybe channels.
We can lease transponder space

HDR and WCG, yes. More resolution, naw.

I have a 61". At the biggest stretch I can imagine, I MIGHT go to 80" before I die. Probably not. And not enough to where "4K" or "8K" might be significant. Or even discernible.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Haha ! Nope, not $5/month. You're probably referring to the Voom add-on pack that Dish offered. Voom was, at one time, a standalone satellite TV provider, just like Dish and Directv.
If I remember correctly, it was advertised at $39.95 a month for 40 HD channels. Getting 40 HD channels was a big deal at the time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If I remember correctly, it was advertised at $39.95 a month for 40 HD channels. Getting 40 HD channels was a big deal at the time.
And they were channels with not much content. I remember a warning was put out once that thieves were looking for homes that had the voom dish, because that meant the home owner had an expensive hdtv

I can live without 4K. To me the difference between 4K and 1080p is not nearly as significant as it was when HD came out. The picture quality between SD and HD was a huge improvement.
I've said the same thing. But I think the Bigger the Tv set the more improvement you can see in the picture. I have a 50" 4k hdtv from Vizio and I really don't see any Wow difference in the picture when I watch Netflix in 4k than I did in 1080p either. But when they go to 8k , which I predict in three years, then we might once again see a Wow difference. But I won't be upgrading again for a while.

I've said the same thing. But I think the Bigger the Tv set the more improvement you can see in the picture. I have a 50" 4k hdtv from Vizio and I really don't see any Wow difference in the picture when I watch Netflix in 4k than I did in 1080p either. But when they go to 8k , which I predict in three years, then we might once again see a Wow difference. But I won't be upgrading again for a while.
Yep, 4K suckered in a whole bunch of people. I have 65" and see little or no difference.

Yep, 4K suckered in a whole bunch of people. I have 65" and see little or no difference.
According to many viewing distance calculators, based on 20/20 vision, you have to sit 4 feet away from a 65 inch TV in order to get the full benefit of 4K. Not too many people sit close enough to the screen to get much benefit from 4K. Here is one example of a seating distance calculator: Projector Calculator - Screen Size Calculator - Distance Calculator

According to many viewing distance calculators, based on 20/20 vision, you have to sit 4 feet away from a 65 inch TV in order to get the full benefit of 4K. Not too many people sit close enough to the screen to get much benefit from 4K. Here is one example of a seating distance calculator: Projector Calculator - Screen Size Calculator - Distance Calculator
Who sits that close to a tv of any kind? At least not in the living room or bedroom. Now in my computer room I sit close because I have a 19 " hdtv sitting on a book case near my desk .

4K is just not worth the effort/expense. On Amazon and Netflix, can't tell the difference. There will be no OMG religious experience!

Agree. When I can see a difference it mostly is because of HDR not 4K. There can be improved color and an overall improved picture I can see it at times Some of that is just having a new TV with the latest technology besides 4K. But unless you sit close - very close - better detail is hard to impossible to see it's a fact of science particularly in actual real programming. Some of the filler stuff or clips can look better because they are film mostly things that can take better advantage of the resolution. (Animal close ups as an example) or make use of HDR more than regular programming would. (Night scenes or day scenes with sky etc as examples) I agree most Amazon, Netflix etc programs have minimal improvement when watching in 4K for th the most part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)