4k Programming not authorized

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bcherry

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2005
I just upgraded my equipment to receive 4k programming. When I asked the technician to tune to one of the 4k channels (104, 105 & 106) before he left to make sure everything was working properly I got the screen message "4k programming not authorized for this location. Try again later or call Customer Service." He said it would probably resolve itself as the guide downloaded but it hasn't. I called Directv Technical Services and was eventually told this is a known problem. Would need to wait for some software update but no way to know when. Is anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the Directv website and see if you are authorized to receive 4k programming.
Just checked my account info on the Directv website. I have the Xtra programming package which includes free 4K programming. Also under the My Equipment submenu and under My Services it shows that 4K is activated. So it seems that it should work but isn't yet.

What do you have to do to be authorized to receive 4k as long as you have the correct equipment. He said he updated his equipment and a tech installed it. Even the lowest tier includes the 4k channels.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
What he probably needs to do is go into the Directv menu and then to display settings, then to resolution and see if the 4k box is checked.
Yes the 4K box is checked. It was set by the tech before he left my house.

The 4K box is irrelevant. That programming will still display on a 1080 TV but you'll get an alert that it's not 4K.

BTW, keep an eye on that check box. It has a nasty habit of unchecking itself on some TVs.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
First of all thanks for all the suggestions. Still getting same message and can't view any 4k content. Could this be the problem. I checked the firmware on my 2 mini genies (C61K-700). The software is 0x7e6 and the download date is 2/23/2016. I saw some older posts back in 2016 and 2017 by people indicating they were having the same problem. Supposedly a firmware update in early 2017 fixed it.

First of all thanks for all the suggestions. Still getting same message and can't view any 4k content. Could this be the problem. I checked the firmware on my 2 mini genies (C61K-700). The software is 0x7e6 and the download date is 2/23/2016. I saw some older posts back in 2016 and 2017 by people indicating they were having the same problem. Supposedly a firmware update in early 2017 fixed it.
10D1 is the current one in the stream for that client at the moment .... if theres any way to update a client, I don't know. (other than on its own)

Problem resolved. This morning I unplugged my 2 mini genies clients to restart them. After they started up I got a message on my TV screens that a new software download was available. Once installed I had the latest firmware 10D1. I can now watch the available 4K content from Directv.

Reactions: Jimbo and raoul5788
Is Channel 104 up? I have not been able to get channel 104 for the last 4 weeks. I called in and support told me that the channel has been down for awhile now. There is an esacalation ticket that was started about 4 weeks ago, but I have not gotten a response by email or text. I can get channel 105 and 106 without any problems.

Is Channel 104 up? I have not been able to get channel 104 for the last 4 weeks. I called in and support told me that the channel has been down for awhile now. There is an esacalation ticket that was started about 4 weeks ago, but I have not gotten a response by email or text. I can get channel 105 and 106 without any problems.
Is there an error message you get when going to the channel ?

I get the 721 error page. I have called in at least 3 times in the last month. I keep getting "engineering is working on it" response. Support even opened an escalation ticket, which I have not gotten a response. I have the 4K package on my account. I have 3 C61K receivers with a HR54 genie. All of the receivers receive the same 721 error when I tune to channel 104. Channels 105 and 106 are working just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)