4k TV Problem with Hopper w/ Sling?

bluedevil1974

Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Tennessee
Greetings all.

I just bought the Vizio M70-E3 this weekend to replace an LG from 2011 that died on me. The LG was perfectly acceptable to me. HD looked good and I had no complaints. I am using a Hopper with sling on the television.

I set up the M70 and it does not look good. I spent a good deal of time trying different calibration settings and nothing really changed. The HD is not sharp and the colors are not vibrant. Keep in mind I'm not talking about any 4k content, just normal 1080 through the Hopper. It looks like a washed out hybrid of SD and DVD quality.

Frustrated, I tried the netflix from the casting app (normal HD) and it looked great. It tried my ps4 and it looked great. I tried a bluray and it looked great so my problem seems to be from my Dish setup. I brought in my son's small television (720 I believe) and hooked it up to the hopper and it was fine.

Believing this was a Dish problem I spoke to them and after several troubleshooting attempts, they said that maybe if I got a 4k joey it would improve the picture. They indicated that this has worked in the past but I really don't see how that would improve the 1080 programming.

Any advice would be appreciated. Is this a 4k issue? A Dish issue? A Vizio issue? A connection issue (HDMI)? Do I need the Hopper 3?

I really want to fix this as it is frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for any help.

With your new TV being 70", I'm curious if that is significantly larger than the LG it replaced? I know when I went from a 55" to a 65" TV, I could certainly see a difference in the Dish picture. Long story short, the bigger the TV, the more obvious the Dish's compression becomes. That may or may not be your issue, but tossing it our there if your new one is significantly larger.

Greetings all.

I just bought the Vizio M70-E3 this weekend to replace an LG from 2011 that died on me. The LG was perfectly acceptable to me. HD looked good and I had no complaints. I am using a Hopper with sling on the television.

I set up the M70 and it does not look good. I spent a good deal of time trying different calibration settings and nothing really changed. The HD is not sharp and the colors are not vibrant. Keep in mind I'm not talking about any 4k content, just normal 1080 through the Hopper. It looks like a washed out hybrid of SD and DVD quality.

Frustrated, I tried the netflix from the casting app (normal HD) and it looked great. It tried my ps4 and it looked great. I tried a bluray and it looked great so my problem seems to be from my Dish setup. I brought in my son's small television (720 I believe) and hooked it up to the hopper and it was fine.

Believing this was a Dish problem I spoke to them and after several troubleshooting attempts, they said that maybe if I got a 4k joey it would improve the picture. They indicated that this has worked in the past but I really don't see how that would improve the 1080 programming.

Any advice would be appreciated. Is this a 4k issue? A Dish issue? A Vizio issue? A connection issue (HDMI)? Do I need the Hopper 3?

I really want to fix this as it is frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for any help.

That is not only a UHD TV, it is also HDR. You may be running into HDMI Color Space issues. There used to be a setting on the Hopper to adjust this. I would try to find that and change the setting to see if it helps.

I have a Vizio P75-C1 attached to my Hopper 3 via HDMI cabling with a Denon x2300W in the middle. The picture is excellent, every bit as good as with the Sharp TV that preceded it. Each input on your Vizio is independent, calibration wise, from the others. The first thing I would do is to exchange your HDMI cable for the input you have your Hopper attached. You might also try to plug your Hopper into a different HDMI port on the TV. I note that you have 4 HDMI ports on the TV and only Port 1 supports 2.0a while the other three support 1.4 only. Which port is your Hopper plugged into today? Something else I thought about, When I first had my TV I had some washed out looking pictures. I solved that by moving my backlight up to 50. Over on AVS, they have optimal calibration settings for Vizios. I use those and they are excellent. And yes, look to see if your Hopper is set to 1080i, 1080P, 4K...

With your new TV being 70", I'm curious if that is significantly larger than the LG it replaced? I know when I went from a 55" to a 65" TV, I could certainly see a difference in the Dish picture. Long story short, the bigger the TV, the more obvious the Dish's compression becomes. That may or may not be your issue, but tossing it our there if your new one is significantly larger.

I went from a 55 to a 70. Even accounting for this, picture still seems out of wack.

Reactions: rmoore3d
That is not only a UHD TV, it is also HDR. You may be running into HDMI Color Space issues. There used to be a setting on the Hopper to adjust this. I would try to find that and change the setting to see if it helps.

I think this option is only on the Hopper 3? I have the Hopper with sling which (I think) is a different unit. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Reactions: navychop
I think this option is only on the Hopper 3? I have the Hopper with sling which (I think) is a different unit. If I'm wrong please let me know.

I recall having it on my original Hopper, but that would have been with the old UI. Not sure if it is there in the CUI. I struggled with this on my 722 as well a long time ago.

I have a Vizio P75-C1 attached to my Hopper 3 via HDMI cabling with a Denon x2300W in the middle. The picture is excellent, every bit as good as with the Sharp TV that preceded it. Each input on your Vizio is independent, calibration wise, from the others. The first thing I would do is to exchange your HDMI cable for the input you have your Hopper attached. You might also try to plug your Hopper into a different HDMI port on the TV. I note that you have 4 HDMI ports on the TV and only Port 1 supports 2.0a while the other three support 1.4 only. Which port is your Hopper plugged into today? Something else I thought about, When I first had my TV I had some washed out looking pictures. I solved that by moving my backlight up to 50. Over on AVS, they have optimal calibration settings for Vizios. I use those and they are excellent. And yes, look to see if your Hopper is set to 1080i, 1080P, 4K...

The Hopper was in Port 1 initially. I tried it in ports 2 and 3 and there was no change. I also swapped out HDMI cables to see if that made a difference and it did not. And yes, the Hopper is set to 1080i/1080p. I will also look at the AVS calibration settings to see if they are different than my own. Thanks for the tips.

I did check this to make sure it was on YCbCr but thanks.

Did you try the other settings? Your problem sounds a lot like a color space issue to me. If the Hopper thinks it should send RGB, and the TV is expecting YCbCr, then the result might not be great. Could be something else though. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here.

Reactions: Foxbat
Did I change it on the Hopper? No, I do not believe I did. I did though, previously change it to 720 just to see if that had any effect. When it did not I went back to 1080.

well if you hooked it to a 720tv, it had to be outputting 720 or lower
just double check the output rez

Did you try the other settings? Your problem sounds a lot like a color space issue to me. If the Hopper thinks it should send RGB, and the TV is expecting YCbCr, then the result might not be great. Could be something else though. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here.

By all means beat away!

I will dive into the menu and see if the Hopper has a color space setting but I do not remember seeing it before.

Reactions: ncted
You seemed to realize it but the CSR telling you to get a 4K Joey to perhaps fix it is Hoohey.
Check for an HDMI black level setting on the TV it should be on low not auto or high... There aren't many settings that affect just one device but that can be device dependant.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts