4K UHD PPV coming Nov 14th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just go to AVS forum and you'll see plenty of tech savvy, want the latest and greatest people that own 4k TV's mainly for high res pictures on a USB stick or for Netflix or YouTube videos.
But most that I know don't even know what that is even if you explain them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

This is awesome well a start.. Time to track down a genie and Samsung tv I got to see a full movie in 4k :)

Makes me wonder the amount of resources going over the Ethernet mostly speed 20Mbps etc...

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Nov. 13, 2014 – On Friday, Nov. 14, DirecTV will begin offering a variety of new releases, popular films and nature documentaries in 4K resolution. DirecTV has teamed up with Samsung as its exclusive CE 4K UHD launch partner. Customers who have DirecTV’s Genie HD DVR will be able to watch 4K programming on supporting 2014 Samsung UHD TVs.

At launch DirecTV will begin offering nearly 20 movies from both Paramount Pictures and K2 Communications with more titles to be announced soon. Movies include:
Forrest Gump
Star Trek (2009)
Amistad
The Terminal
McLintock!
Transformers: Age of Extinction
The Last Reef
Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs
Antarctica
Dolphins
Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
Dinosaurs Alive!
Coral Reef Adventure
Space Junk
Yellowstone
Legends of Flight
Rescue
The Ultimate Wave Tahiti
Mysteries of the Great Lakes

Customers will need an Internet-connected Genie HD DVR (HR34 and above), and a Samsung UHD TV that is DirecTV 4K ready.

Showroom channel 1999 is showing "introducing 4k".
I did 4k smart search and got 4k preview. Came up with a NASCAR doc but it's says 1080p on download.
I do have a Samsung UHDTV and Hr44.
I believe a tech had said previously some type of install was required?

I just noticed my two Sammy remotes are compatible with the hr44.

DirecTV early adopter of 4K UltraHD
Nov 13 2014, 14:17 ET | By: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor [Contact this editor with comments or a news tip]

DirecTV (DTV +0.2%) will be the first pay-TV major to offer 4K UltraHD content to its subscriber base beginning tomorrow.
19 films from Paramount Pictures and K2 Communications will be available initially in the format.
The company tipped off during its earnings conference call last week that 4K channels will be introduced in 2015.
Samsung (OTC:SSNLF, OTC:SSNGY) is a partner with DirecTV on the UHD initiative.
DirecTV earnings call transcript http://seekingalpha.com/article/265...l-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2125185-directv-early-adopter-of-4k-ultrahd#email_link

Showroom channel 1999 is showing "introducing 4k".
I did 4k smart search and got 4k preview. Came up with a NASCAR doc but it's says 1080p on download.
I do have a Samsung UHDTV and Hr44.
I believe a tech had said previously some type of install was required?

I just noticed my two Sammy remotes are compatible with the hr44.
Correct. The 4k is only enabled with an rvu install.

So, if you have a RVU and a HR44 already, what do you see on the channels if it's not Professionally installed ?

Whats there to install ?
It's hard to explain without using technician terms... I guess the easiest way to explain it is 4k service needs to be enabled. A phone call to customer service may take care of this if the csr knows what to do. Basically when an rvu TV is activated by dtv the serial number of the tv is added to your account as an owned client. The product type is the year of the tv followed by the manufacturer. In order to activate 4k the product type needs to be changed to 2014 samsung 4k. so they would need to delete your TV from your account and re add it under the correct product type. This product type was not available until today.. so it is not possible to already be coded properly to correctly receive 4k.

You will get 1080p if this is not done.

Also there are no "channels" yet... all 4k programming is vod. Your TV will not view it properly without the corresponding rate codes.

It's hard to explain without using technician terms... I guess the easiest way to explain it is 4k service needs to be enabled. A phone call to customer service may take care of this if the csr knows what to do. Basically when an rvu TV is activated by dtv the serial number of the tv is added to your account as an owned client. The product type is the year of the tv followed by the manufacturer. In order to activate 4k the product type needs to be changed to 2014 samsung 4k. so they would need to delete your TV from your account and re add it under the correct product type. This product type was not available until today.. so it is not possible to already be coded properly to correctly receive 4k.

You will get 1080p if this is not done.

Also there are no "channels" yet... all 4k programming is vod. Your TV will not view it properly without the corresponding rate codes.
Thanks for the explanation .

Thanks for the explanation .
Yep.. it's a complicated subject right now.. and very few techs are even fully up to speed yet. But if I can educate as many people here as I can then maybe I can lighten the load of questions for people that actually want this service. I plan to get a 4k tv around income tax... just hoping they add more manufacturers by then. LG was approved as a rvu vender... hoping they add support to directv soon. Although it took forever to get Toshiba added.. that supprised me too. I perceive lg as a better name brand than toshiba.

Yep.. it's a complicated subject right now.. and very few techs are even fully up to speed yet. But if I can educate as many people here as I can then maybe I can lighten the load of questions for people that actually want this service. I plan to get a 4k tv around income tax... just hoping they add more manufacturers by then. LG was approved as a rvu vender... hoping they add support to directv soon. Although it took forever to get Toshiba added.. that supprised me too. I perceive lg as a better name brand than toshiba.
I think Sony was also listed originally.

Is RVU like client's that have to be linked to the Genie?
and if that's the case can it be wired directly to TV or does it need a BB Deca for setup?

Is RVU like client's that have to be linked to the Genie?
and if that's the case can it be wired directly to TV or does it need a BB Deca for setup?

Rvu is a term for a special firmware built directly into special tvs. It's something you need to specifically purchase when shopping for a tv. Google rvu or directv ready tv for more information.

After you have the tv you need a tech to come out and activate the built in software. The install will include running a coax line to the tv. Then the coax is connected to a bbdeca and the ether net from the deca is connected to the tv. Your system also has to be connected to the Internet using a bbdeca. Wireless is not an option.

I wonder as Directv did promise 4k by years end, wasn't there mention of more 4k next year or possibly a channel dedicated to 4k on Direct?

I wonder as Directv did promise 4k by years end, wasn't there mention of more 4k next year or possibly a channel dedicated to 4k on Direct?
Nothing like that in my sources.. but only time will tell.

And since today was national launch I doubt anyone had it activated yet. Not many regions do same day appointments.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)