5.1 audio on UFC PPV events

MadDogMike

Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Recently switched to Dish from DirecTV and I've noticed that I'm not getting true 5.1 audio on UFC PPV events on Dish, where I did on DirecTV. My setup is fine, as other programming on the Dish (Showtime, for example) is definitely yielding true 5.1 On a UFC PPV event, my A/V receiver indicates that it's getting a 5.1 signal from the Dish box, but there's actually only audio coming out of the center channel.

This seems to be something on Dish's end with regards to PPV events because:
1.) I know UFC is still broadcasting in 5.1 as I've witnessed it at friend's houses to have DirecTV or Uverse.
2.) 5.1 works fine on other Dish channels, like Showtime as mentioned above.

It is very irritating to pay $55 for an HD PPV event and not get good audio - that's part of the experience, too!

I like everything to be in 5.1 too. I don't order UFC PPV because it costs more than going to a lot of games in person. You can get a pretty good seat at Comerica park to watch the Tigers for $55. I go to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch my UFC.

Anyways, I would want it in 5.1 if I paid $55 for it and other providers have it in 5.1 too. I think your best bet is to PM a DIRT member and ask them to check on it. They can have someone in the correct department see what is going on.

Yeah, $55 is pricey, but I usually split it with other buddies who are fight fans, too. We do have some bars that show the UFC, but when you factor in the inflated beer priced, sometimes it's cheaper to watch it at home.

Anyway, I PM'd a DiRT guy, hopefully he'll chime in.

I checked into this a little more so I could give an official answer. If the UFC fight is being broadcast to us with 5.1 surround we don't do anything to reduce that audio quality.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer, basically, "it's not our problem." :( I'm sure Dish is not intentionally doing something to effect the 5.1, but I do think there is a technical issue on Dish's end. As I said, the 5.1 works fine viewing other channels on the same Dish box. But on a UFC event, it sends a 5.1 signal to the receiver, but all the audio channels are silent except the center channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)