5 LNB Sat positioning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

axg9504

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
I have dtv and want to upgrade to HD. My current dish is pointed towards a space between trees. Does the new 5 LNB dish point in the same general direction and angle? Otherwise I'm not sure that I can have it installed. Thanks

29732 - zip code thanks - reason I asked about positioning is I called DTV and the rep who answered told me that they only have 1 satellite, but they have 5 little 'thingies' sticking out from them - this is the honest truth.

I'm thinking of switching to Dish on my roof for non-HDm, but it would require a second dish some distance from my current position with the D* dish and I'm not sure I like this config.

If you have a phase 3 dish currently, the AT9 looks at a satellite 2 degrees to the left of the 101 satellite other than that it covers the same area of the sky. Phase 3 covers 101 to 119, AT9 covers 99 to 119.

I have had mine for 8+ yrs, dual LNB. THe rep at DTV said that I would be using the same positioning but after that remark about only one sat. I did not know whether I should believe it. Does the 5 LNB require any special attention in securing to the roof ?Thanks.

I have had mine for 8+ yrs, dual LNB. THe rep at DTV said that I would be using the same positioning but after that remark about only one sat. I did not know whether I should believe it. Does the 5 LNB require any special attention in securing to the roof ?Thanks.

Hopefully, he was trying to say that you need one satellite dish with 5 "thingies". But,you never know.

Your current basic dish and the HD Ka/Ku dish will point in the same direction, but the AT9/AU9 will need to be tilted and have additional 20 degrees of clearance on the right side (101 to 119 or 99 to 119 to be precise). Also, the sats don‘t sit in the same elevation, so that opening in the trees could present a problem.

The only way to determine signal strength is to test a dish with a signal meter at the mounting point; being a roof mounted dish, this would be difficult with the large and heavy Ka/KU.

I recommend using a triple set (3LNB) dish for signal testing (101 to 119) using the same mast you have now before considering the 5 LNB dish with a heavier mount. Also, the slimline should be installed with 1 or 2 extension arms (monopoles) on roofs to keep it in position.

Your current basic dish and the HD Ka/Ku dish will point in the same direction, but the AT9/AU9 will need to be tilted and have additional 20 degrees of clearance on the right side (101 to 119 or 99 to 119 to be precise). Also, the sats don‘t sit in the same elevation, so that opening in the trees could present a problem.

The only way to determine signal strength is to test a dish with a signal meter at the mounting point; being a roof mounted dish, this would be difficult with the large and heavy Ka/KU.

I recommend using a triple set (3LNB) dish for signal testing (101 to 119) using the same mast you have now before considering the 5 LNB dish with a heavier mount. Also, the slimline should be installed with 1 or 2 extension arms (monopoles) on roofs to keep it in position.

The phase three and the AT9 point in the same GENERAL direction, but not exactly. The phase three points at the 110 satellite, while the AT9 points at the 101 sat.

This statement suggests that you only have the 18" dish so you almost definitely will have problems with the 110 & 119 satellites.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVR to PC DVD Recording?

HD Locals Ft Myers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)