5 receivers off 1 DP34

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I was talking to a dish technician tonight after a problem with the main rep when activating my replacement 811. While he was waiting for something to come up on the comptuer he asked what I was doing with my old 301 I had deactivated a month ago. I said "nothing, just sitting in my basement" and he asked if I would ever reactivate it.
"maybe, but I'll need another DP34, wanna send me one for free? (doesn't hurt to ask)"
He said "actually a little trick you can do for a 5th receiver if you only get two satellites (110/119) is to get a 21 switch and run it off the trunk lines of the DP34 (where you would hook in a second DP34) and then run the output from the 21 to the 5th receiver. This won't work for a 3rd dish, but saves some money on a new switch if you need a 5th receiver"

Interesting I thought and thanked him for the info. The main reason it came up was I am getting a 721 (someday thanks to $249 deal) and he mentioned being able to run 2 X21's or X22's and a single tuner receiver off one DP34. Anyone done this?

Heck I'll put 2 Dp splitters on it and then two DP-21s then I should be able to run 6 receivers off it. Do you really think DISH would leave such an obvious method that would cost them sales of DP-34s.

Hey, I am just reporting what the guy on the phone told me. He was in the tech department, not customer service (those people can't figure out what receivers I have most of the time let alone what the heck a switch is)

Maybe for once the guy at Dish was trying to SAVE someone a little money. WHo knows as I have no way to verify it and that is why I posted it here to see if anyone has done it or could try it. Sounds good in theory, but need hard proof IMO.

Also, you comment on the obvious workaround... I would of never thought of it and I don't think anyone here did cause I searched for it. I am just trying to share some info here.

Well, from what I can understand of your message, you would be trying to do 6 tuners than if you have 4 301's and 1 721. Remember, the setup calls for a DP21 also off the trunk end to combine singals back to one line.

SatinKzo said:
I was talking to a dish technician tonight after a problem with the main rep when activating my replacement 811. While he was waiting for something to come up on the comptuer he asked what I was doing with my old 301 I had deactivated a month ago. I said "nothing, just sitting in my basement" and he asked if I would ever reactivate it.
"maybe, but I'll need another DP34, wanna send me one for free? (doesn't hurt to ask)"
He said "actually a little trick you can do for a 5th receiver if you only get two satellites (110/119) is to get a 21 switch and run it off the trunk lines of the DP34 (where you would hook in a second DP34) and then run the output from the 21 to the 5th receiver. This won't work for a 3rd dish, but saves some money on a new switch if you need a 5th receiver"

Interesting I thought and thanked him for the info. The main reason it came up was I am getting a 721 (someday thanks to $249 deal) and he mentioned being able to run 2 X21's or X22's and a single tuner receiver off one DP34. Anyone done this?

If you got this deal through dish, why don't you just call them back and have them send you another DP34 switch for free? The deal through DISH includes all necessary equipment to add the 721 and a free install. They sent me a DP34 at no additional cost simply by my asking for it. Now I have a third to keep around incase one of my other two goes out or the abitlity to go up to 12 feeds in my house if ever needed.

I don't need one. I am only running 3 receivers (811, 301, 721). The guy just asked if I was ever gonna activate my other old 301 again and I said maybe, but I would need another DP34. That is when he told me about the Dp21 setup. SO, in theory, you could run 5 receivers off 1 DP34.

When I got my 721, (it isn't here yet) I got a DP34 for free, but I waived the install promo as I can do it myself when it fits in my schedule. I already have the DP34 up and running to my 811 and 301. and the final two outputs will be for my 721.

SatinKzo said:
I don't need one. I am only running 3 receivers (811, 301, 721). The guy just asked if I was ever gonna activate my other old 301 again and I said maybe, but I would need another DP34. That is when he told me about the Dp21 setup. SO, in theory, you could run 5 receivers off 1 DP34.

When I got my 721, (it isn't here yet) I got a DP34 for free, but I waived the install promo as I can do it myself when it fits in my schedule. I already have the DP34 up and running to my 811 and 301. and the final two outputs will be for my 721.

OK, I see...thanks for clarifying. Just thought I would make the suggestion but it sounds like you already got the the one you needed.

Ya know, though, now that I think back to the conversation, he didn't say "no" when I asked about getting another DP34 for free.... hmmmm.

Anyways, I hope someone can confirm or deny this setup as being valid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts