5 TB Drives ... Will WD be first?

Frank:

I read it as well -- but I focused on the part that indicated backing up digital data to alternatives to spinning disks. If you don't check those regularly you could well find yourself in a jam when it comes to restoring them.

Also, IMO, you can either have a couple of big spinning discs, or media all over the place (CD/DVD/Flash drives etc). I prefer to have spinning discs as the reliability is extremely high for my usage.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Exactly.. Pressed discs such as manufactured CDs, DVDs, BluRays, etc do have archival longevity as long as they don't get scratched.. But burnt discs aren't as durable. The dye layer begins to break down nearly as soon as they are manufactured. Any type of oil - including skin oil - that gets on the label side hastens the deterioration.

RAID at least has redundancy. If one drive fails, the missing data can be rebuilt. The same can't be said for optical.

What in the heck would you do with 5TB? I have 500GB and only use about 20% of it.

Seriously, ask that again in 5 years. As storage and bandwidth increase and prices come down, there are always whole fields of applications to benefit from it. How about movies and TV shows in HD? About 10 years ago I thought it was pretty cool to have 250 MB removable Zip disks, a CDROM burner, and a built in 5 GB hard drive. MP3 music took up a lot of that.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Guys don't take my earlier post as an attack on what you posted. I just indicated that I personally would not have a use for a 5tb drive. I did not mention CD's or DVD's. I merely indicated other media. My digital photographs are stored on a hard drive temporarily and later transferred to a card along with the actual photographs which are then placed in an actual photo album. All my photography dating back to the 70's are stored in the same manor. If the hard drives I do use fail, I would not lose very much, certainly not 5tb's worth. In any case a 5tb hard drive is way to large for my personal needs.

In any event if you would use a 5tb drive and that drive needs backing up would you use another 5tb drive?

Frank,

when you start talking about drive sizes in the terabytes the only practical way to back them up is to another disk. depending upon how paranoid you are that can be accomplished a number of ways.

at home, I have a simple backup strategy. I use RAID 5 and have a spare drive available 4 each array should a drive go bad.

to lose data, I would have to have a second drive fail before the array syncs up the replacement. that's not a 0 likelihood of failure, but the risk is small enough for me to accept.

at work, the strategy is significantly more robust.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Frank,

when you start talking about drive sizes in the terabytes the only practical way to back them up is to another disk. depending upon how paranoid you are that can be accomplished a number of ways.

at home, I have a simple backup strategy. I use RAID 5 and have a spare drive available 4 each array should a drive go bad.

to lose data, I would have to have a second drive fail before the array syncs up the replacement. that's not a 0 likelihood of failure, but the risk is small enough for me to accept.

at work, the strategy is significantly more robust.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I'm exactly with you.. I've had my share of drive crashes which have cost me data.. That's why I built a file server to begin with. Everything is stored there, including rolling backup images of my other machines. The array has 7x2TB drives in RAID-5 (12TB online) plus a hot spare.. If a drive were to fail it would begin rebuilding to the spare automatically. And you're right, there's a risk of total loss is a second drive failed before the rebuild was complete, but it is a remote chance. When I have the money for another server I'll probably change it over to RAID-6 which has 2 drive tolerance.

I used to keep my media on single big drives in one of my regular machines, but after I lost a terabyte drive full of movies and had to rip them all over again I decided to do it right. I have put too much time into ripping to hard drive to lose it to a crash again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts