5 things I ***LIKE*** about the DISH VIP 922

garygaryj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
VA
It's a slow day on the forums, and I know that there are many forum entries on problems... and of course, there are many things that can always be improved, but let me offer a positive list of 5 things I really like about the DISH VIP 922 DVR.

1. The Guide is very fast, good-looking, and has good remote control short cuts.
  2. The DVR button allows very quick access to content, upcoming recordings, timers, and VOD downloads.?
  3. The visual DVR icons... I know some want the option for a simple sorted list, but I like the visual style. I organize by Program Title, and it’s nice to not only have the visual picture icon for the program or movie, but notes in the icon about “HD”, “New”, and the number of episodes in that “container.”?
  4. The TV2 feature - in my house I’m using TV1 is for my Home Theater, and I use TV2 to feed Bedroom and Office, which I mirror TV1 in 16x9. This provides a very good-looking 480i duplication for my other TV sets that are high-def, and the picture is pretty darned good. Not real high-def, but good enough for those sets and way better than the standard def look. The TV2 remote can do everything the TV1 remote can do, and I can pull up all of the DVR content and external hard-drive DVR content, and I can do a pause in the home theater, and continue watching, taking it out of pause in the bedroom. One piece of equipment.? No complicated whole home wiring.
  5. Auto-rescheduling of DVR recording conflicts - just what I needed. It finds a conflict, and automatically reschedules an item that is red-lined, if the same program and episode can be found on the upcoming Guide.
Sometimes, it is good to step back, and say what's good.

I love my 922 and it was such a nice surprise on how they implemented scheduling conflicts. Since my husband picks his channels in the evening, I like to review the scheduling for future days and pick what I want skipped if I have 2 items for same time slot. With the auto rescheduling capability, it was terrific to often see what I skipped to be scheduled automatically at a different time.

It's a slow day on the forums, and I know that there are many forum entries on problems... and of course, there are many things that can always be improved, but let me offer a positive list of 5 things I really like about the DISH VIP 922 DVR.

1. The Guide is very fast, good-looking, and has good remote control short cuts.
  2. The DVR button allows very quick access to content, upcoming recordings, timers, and VOD downloads.?
  3. The visual DVR icons... I know some want the option for a simple sorted list, but I like the visual style. I organize by Program Title, and it’s nice to not only have the visual picture icon for the program or movie, but notes in the icon about “HD”, “New”, and the number of episodes in that “container.”?
  4. The TV2 feature - in my house I’m using TV1 is for my Home Theater, and I use TV2 to feed Bedroom and Office, which I mirror TV1 in 16x9. This provides a very good-looking 480i duplication for my other TV sets that are high-def, and the picture is pretty darned good. Not real high-def, but good enough for those sets and way better than the standard def look. The TV2 remote can do everything the TV1 remote can do, and I can pull up all of the DVR content and external hard-drive DVR content, and I can do a pause in the home theater, and continue watching, taking it out of pause in the bedroom. One piece of equipment.? No complicated whole home wiring.
  5. Auto-rescheduling of DVR recording conflicts - just what I needed. It finds a conflict, and automatically reschedules an item that is red-lined, if the same program and episode can be found on the upcoming Guide.
Sometimes, it is good to step back, and say what's good.

#5 has always been the case going back to at least the 522 and beyond days, so this shouldn't be new or exclusive to the 922 as I have depended upon the feature for the last several years.

However, are you saying that this feature is active for "ONCE" timers that have a conflict? If so, then that would be a REALLY nice thing as I often have to choose the "NEW" or "ALL" to ensure the DVR will find the next instance for a show that only has ONE episode (produced as a one-time program with no further episodes, like Secrets of Air Force One, etc.) to record if there is a conflict should something higher on the timer list be activated down the road.

Please clarify. Would love to know if 922 can do this for "Once" timers.

My ViP722 certainly doesn't do #5 for "once" timers. I sure wish it did.

Not sure about the "Once" timers on the 922. I'll have to test that out. (Not that anyone wants to give up $4./month)(Beside the point, but isn't it now $3./month difference?)

Well ,I am glad that many now agree with me, that the 922 isn't worth the extra $4.00 a month. The difference is that I cut my losses and traded it back in for a new 722k last November.

Just to follow-up, I did test the "Once" timer, and do not believe the 922 reschedules "Once" timers. I didn't realize this before, because I rarely use "Once" timers that cause conflicts. What I got on-screen for the conflict was an immediate Conflict resolution grid with the 3 programs in contention, allowing me to pick and choose what to happen on each grid line, with a "Select" on that line. But I'm still happy with the auto-reschedule on the series timers, which the competition does not have.

Interesting, you that have units other than the 922 are not willing for whatever reason to pay Dish a extra $4.00 a month or the equivalent of a medium Starbucks coffee/mocha/blendedice tea.. etc. Well each to his or her own, we all have our own budgets, but boy does it make you look cheap. I look at the $4.00 as a research and development fee, something they can/may/will use to develop the next product, 813?.

Or if they don't use the fee to do anything but line Charlie’s pocket that's ok too because it's just the cost of doing business and if he uses it to go on vacation in Monaco.... well it's his business, he has been willing to gamble his assets to build this business.

So go take on the day, I hope it's a magical one for you all.

Moe

Charlie's not the CEO anymore. And I think it is $3. more, really. I believe they upgraded the $6. fee to $7. for the non-922 DVR customers, didn't they?

Interesting, you that have units other than the 922 are not willing for whatever reason to pay Dish a extra $4.00 a month or the equivalent of a medium Starbucks coffee/mocha/blendedice tea.. etc. Well each to his or her own, we all have our own budgets, but boy does it make you look cheap. I look at the $4.00 as a research and development fee, something they can/may/will use to develop the next product, 813?.

Or if they don't use the fee to do anything but line Charlie’s pocket that's ok too because it's just the cost of doing business and if he uses it to go on vacation in Monaco.... well it's his business, he has been willing to gamble his assets to build this business.

So go take on the day, I hope it's a magical one for you all.

Moe

+ 1

Just to follow-up, I did test the "Once" timer, and do not believe the 922 reschedules "Once" timers. I didn't realize this before, because I rarely use "Once" timers that cause conflicts. What I got on-screen for the conflict was an immediate Conflict resolution grid with the 3 programs in contention, allowing me to pick and choose what to happen on each grid line, with a "Select" on that line. But I'm still happy with the auto-reschedule on the series timers, which the competition does not have.

Thanks for the clarification. However, TiVo also works the same way for looking for all instances of a program and will record a later instance if there is a conflict for the earlier showing. I can't speak with authority for Moxi or cable or FiOS or Uverse boxes, but if they don't have that, then that is SAD.

Same here.

It seems like the eye candy (really good eye candy) is the only "compelling" reason to get the 922 and pay the extra monthly $, but a lot folks would feel even that is not worth it. I have to say that I would have gotten a 922 by now except for the additional monthly $.

Mark my words, the follow-up model to the 922 (not the XiP, but the new and improved son of 922) will have NO extra monthly charge and a lot of 922 folks will be really angry.

It seems like the eye candy (really good eye candy) is the only "compelling" reason to get the 922 and pay the extra monthly $, but a lot folks would feel even that is not worth it. I have to say that I would have gotten a 922 by now except for the additional monthly $.

Mark my words, the follow-up model to the 922 (not the XiP, but the new and improved son of 922) will have NO extra monthly charge and a lot of 922 folks will be really angry.

Unless of course DISH is planning on charging $10.00 dvr fee for the new Xip series as well as the 922. Another way to hike fees without hiking programming packs. They will most likely say the extra $4.00 in the dvr fee is for the multi-view capabilities. Of course this is DISH we are talking about and I can only expect them to be greedy like always, so they might charge a "Whole house dvr " fee on top of the $10.00 dvr fee. After all if you have the whole house dvr , you won't need additional receivers and that means less revenue for DISH, so I'm betting that here comes some new made up , charge it because we can , FEES . The question is how much will they charge for it?

I agree with JEFFinINDY - it is too easy to focus on a few dollars, and lose perspective of the whole package. Don't mistake me - I, too, would like to see a few things improved and broadened on the 922 offerings, and I think there could be some hope of that with some effort to establish a healthy relationship with the 922 Engineering group. However, that is difficult if all they see in forums is complaining. That is why I wrote what I did originally. I want to show them that their good things are appreciated. I also want to mention that I was paying an average of $37. more per month for my DirecTV invoice (first year DISH promotion) - but still, even after promotion is over, I'll be paying $17. per month less than my previous monthly D*TV invoice.... even with the $4. extra. And my experience is fairly good with my 922 - features and performance, and many channels I have wanted in HD.

Actually the capability to watch internet content through the 922 with playon is awesome too. Another reason why the 4 bucks is no big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)