5 USB ports on a Wally

Photog_7

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
North Central Florida
In my review of the Wally, I pointed out that the Wally only has 2 USB ports, so you can't have the USB Wi-Fi adapter, the USB OTA tuner dongle, and a USB hard drive all attached directly to the Wally at the same time unless you could get a USB3 hub to be recognized by the Wally. I own, want and need all three of those USB accessories, so I decided to see if I could get the Wally to work with a USB3 hub. IT WORKS!
The model I am using is the "AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter", model HU3641V1, which cost me about $17. The hub uses 1 of the 2 USB ports on the Wally, leaving 1 port on the Wally free and 4 more ports on the hub for a total of 5 USB ports available.
I was particularly concerned about whether the hub could handle the hard drive DVR while recording and playing back a program at the same time, so instead of plugging the hard drive directly into the empty port on the Wally, I ran it through the hub. Then I watched a previously recorded HD program while recording an HD program at the same time. It worked like a charm! So I plugged the USB Wi-Fi adapter and the USB OTA tuner dongle into the hub, and tested them both. They worked. I was able to watch an HD movie over the Internet on a Video on Demand (VOD) channel, and I set up the OTA tuner and watched a local OTA station in HD.
Your mileage may vary, but it's working for me. I can hardly wait to test this setup with the new Dual OTA tuner dongle that's coming out "soon". I should also point out that my 3.5 inch external hard drive has its own power supply, and the USB hub is also powered by a separate power supply.
Hope this information is helpful to someone.

I am using a tp-link wr702n in client mode on my wally for wi-fi. Works just fine and does NOT use up a USB port as I plug lan port and into wall for power. Next up for me is the OTA adapter. I believe the problem with using "generics" is the drivers are preloaded on the wally for some dish add-ons, and OTA is probably one of them. That being said, if someone can snoop a Dish OTA and find out who really makes it for them, you may be able to buy something other than a DISH OTA. I'd at least like to give it a try......

I am using a tp-link wr702n in client mode on my wally for wi-fi. Works just fine and does NOT use up a USB port as I plug lan port and into wall for power. Next up for me is the OTA adapter. I believe the problem with using "generics" is the drivers are preloaded on the wally for some dish add-ons, and OTA is probably one of them. That being said, if someone can snoop a Dish OTA and find out who really makes it for them, you may be able to buy something other than a DISH OTA. I'd at least like to give it a try......

The OTA dongle is a Hauppauge 955D. There is currently another open thread with lots of talk going on about this for the past few days

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts