Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV / HBO offering a $50 rebate to add HBO service for 3 months, must sign up by 4/15 and send in 3 months bills. Figure you won't receive your rebate until August or so, but still pays for nearly 3 months of HBO.

http://www.directv.com/hbo

do you think DirecTV will eventually lower the cost of HBO to complete with the stand alone version?

I don't think they'll look at HBO Now as much competition to having it as part of your programming package with DirecTV. I expect there will not be any reduction in price, but hopefully this will slow down the price increases on HBO.

I don't know of any time where DirecTV has lowered pricing due to something new coming to market. Streaming specific, MLB Extra Innings vs. MLB.TV is a good example. EI is $70 more than .tv, and has been for 10 years. They did lower the price about $20 a few years ago, but I think that is more related to price point pressure as they pushing the $220 mark.

I certainly wouldn't pay DirecTV anymore for hbo than I could get it from them direct. Zero benefit, it streams on demand so the dvr isn't a concern and same access to shows.

three months from launch it's going to be an issue for them.

If my figures are correct, anyone out there paying DTV full price for HBO pays 215.88 a year. HBO Now will cost on AppleTV (with the first month free) the first year 164.89 a savings of around 50 bucks. I would almost guarantee that anyone in good standing could probably talk DTV into HBO for the same price. The deal breaker for me would be if HBOGO goes away and they wouldn't budge off the 17.99 price. I would hope that HBO has their act together on this because on April 12 when GoT comes on it might break the internet :) One podcaster I heard though said HBO was in talks to use some of MLB's bandwidth to help them out.

Yeah for giving consumers more choices.

Heaven forbid

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you eligible for $50 back if you weren't subscribed on Feb 5th or later? I cancelled it Jan 16th.

You should be fine as long as you wait until after your next billing date after Jan 16. That way your bill will show that you "added it", and then 3 bills after that showing you kept if for 3 full months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.