501 lost signal on 119 & 110

Colin Mebac

Original poster
May 7, 2004
My 501 won't signal lock anymore on 119 & 110.
I have an older 3500 model and I used it to realign the dish500 and it worked flawlessy ( check switch identified both satellites and all programming was available from both satellites).

When I hook the dish500 back up to the 501 at best I get a signal that will not stay locked on 119 (transponder 11). I have tried the front panel reset, removing the card reset, return to factory default and even a memory dump.

Is there something else I can try to get this unit to work or does this failure to stay locked on signal indicate that the receiver has gone bad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like time to call Dish for the 60 minute tech call where they will tell you to do exactly what you have already done then send you a replacement.

agreed

I have a 501 doing kinda the same thing right now. Although the odd thing is that when I do the point dish test, the signal strength never drops below the acceptable threshold and reports signal loss, it just goes red and says wrong satellite. I moved my 2900 in to see if that worked and it does so there's nothing wrong with the dish or cabling to the dish. Customer support was less than helpful last time I called and I figure I will just disconnect the service soon anyway.

I've seen a similar problem having to do with the actual switch. There's a couple of things to try. Easiest is to pull the power plug, disconnect the feed, boot it up, check switch. This should clear the satfeed matrix in the box.

Next thing to try only applies if you have an SW21 or some such as opposed to DishPro. Get all the "fancy junk" out of the mix and wire 119 directly to the 501 - again, pull power first.

Hope this helps.

same here...

Hi all,

I've been experiencing the same problem as the initial poster, although I don't have another receiver to prove it yet. Initially I thought the dish was misaligned and I replied to a post over here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=7533&page=2&pp=15
(It was infact misaligned after I had messed it up, but dish is now perfectly peaked.)

I've since then replaced everything but the receiver and I'm still losing the signal more and more over time. Doing front panel resets while on the 6>1>1 menu page (transponder 1 on 119) seems to help sometimes, but after a while the problem comes back and gets worse, until nothing is received anymore. The outages are total, meaning the signal on the transponders doesn't get weaker, but drops to complete zero. When it works, signal strength is well over 100 on all but transponder 15 on the 110 satellite (which is 89). When the signal starts dropping, it usually comes back after a while on its own, then goes away again and the intervals get shorter and shorter until it flatlines.

I'm thinking it could be a thermal issue with the 501? The fan is working and kicking in when it wants to, so it's not that. Maybe the voltage that is put out to the switch from the 501 drops because of a thermal issue? Who knows... :confused:

Called DishNetwork just now, explained as little as that my 501 is unreliable and they offered me a 510 for $79. I took the offer and we'll see what happens (read another post where the 510 never arrived, yikes). I'll probably have to pay $5/month DVR fee, but as long as it works I'll be ok with that. Better than buying a replacement DVR on ebay for $180 or more.

Cheers,

Hajo

Tested, definitely isolated to 501

I'm experiencing the same issue, beginning roughly two weeks ago.

If I hard power cycle (unplug, wait, plug back in) the unit, it fixes itself fine.
If I cold power cycle, I need to perform a new check switch, which takes
longer and lasts less time.

It seems to be somewhat random. Near as I can figure, since the last
software update, it loses its lock on 119 and 110 from time to time and
can't regain it without a complete cold reboot.

Based on the above... This looks suspiciously like a bug. Oh Scott...

-j

oh man, if this is a 501 bug...

oh man, if this is indeed a 501 bug, I'll be mighty pissed. I went through a whole lot of expensive troubleshooting this issue and just ordered a 510 as a replacement. If all this turns out to be caused by buggy software, that would be just too much.

Incidentally, the 501 has been working without problems since yesterday. My software version says P221DCFD-N. Is that the software that was downloaded into the 501 via satellite and if so, how new is it? Does anyone know? Is there a list somewhere?

Oh, just saw in another thread that P222 is on its way. No mention about a fix for this issue though, just about the hard disk not resting in shut down mode.

Hmm,

Hajo

Please Help!!!!

Hi there,
I bought a dvr 501 from dish network to replace a 5 yr old receiver that just died. Since I installed it I have had nothing but trouble. Every 2 minutes I get the message "acquiring satellite signal" and it has to go through some 1-5 test thing. Anyway, had dish network repair guys come out on 2 separate occasions because the first one said it was fixed, but it wasn't. The second visit was 3 days later. Between the two men, they changed the switches, inside cables and conducted many tests. To no avail, I am so frustrated. Can anyone help me out there? As you can tell by my explanation, I need a response in layman's terms please.

Thanks,
Ginger

Have DishNetwork exchange the 501

Hi ggberk,

You've come to the right thread, I think. Everyone posting here has had issues that seem to point to a flaw in the Dish 501 PVR. In my case, I replaced all cabling, the dish, new LNBs and the problem is still there. Signal strength is perfect one minute and gone the next, without weather changes or blockage being a factor.
I called Dish a week ago and explained that my 501 wasn't working properly anymore (had it for 2.5 years) and bought a $79 Dish 510 PVR from them which to this day hasn't arrived yet.

So, in other words, the installers shouldn't rule out the Dish 501 receiver as the culprit as many in this thread have realized. There seems to be a case of flaky 501 tuner going around, at least with some. Maybe it's a software issue, but this shouldn't be your problem to figure out. Since your 501 is new (just purchased, anyway?), Dish should replace it or give you another model that works better and doesn't develop a flaky tuner. I'm not sure if the 510 is such a model as I haven't received it yet, maybe others can give pointers.

Hajo

Speculation

This is just speculation based on some experience with manufacturing...

Given the high volume of 501's out there, if you are the support group and you see a high percentage of units with defects at the same time (say, upwards of 30-40%), you recall or classify it as a defect.

If there is a small but real percentage of failing units, you chalk it up to the noise of honest failures.

It's my guess that a particular early run on these units has a common element of manufacturing that has a conflict with some change to the code or transmission technology (I think the later) that was implemented very recently. There is no other explanation for why multiple people would have the same problem at the same time. Obviously something Dish did is causing the problem, but only to a small enough subset of customers that they will choose to ignore it. Replacing units (which they are supposed to be doing for me... they said I'd get a replacement unit on Friday and I still haven't received it) probably fixes it as it would use a more recent manufacturing batch with changes not subject to the common conflict.

In other words... Replace your unit.

-j

I recently re-activated my old Model 5000 in order to get the $79 deal for a Model 510 and just recently experienced similar problems. I also have a Model 811 connected to a refurbished legacy twin lnb. I have no problems receiving the satellite signals on the 811. I think it might be a thermal problem either with the legacy twin or the Model 5000 because the temperatures where I live recently have gone up to the low to mid eighties. So far it appears to go away at night but I have not done enough testing to verify this. It also could be a problem with recent software upgrades. I am suppose to get my new Model 510 tomorrow so I will see what happens.

Unhappy with last software upgrade

I can only attribute my problems with my PVR 501 (Model DP501) TO THE LAST SOFTWARE UPGRADE automatically downloaded by dish via my permission. I replaced my switch only 2 months ago, brand new SW21 switch. I was away last week, only to come home to intermittent 119 signal. System setup --- 6 - 1 -1 , shows 119 solid green for one minute, red for 2 seconds, back to green 115/125 signal reception, constant!!! Sound like your problem? I called dish and asked to speak with a technical engineer... the person I spoke with eventually troubleshot my problem to a bad cable or switch! Again, I replaced my switch 2 months ago (brand new), cabling is fine... no modifications made, it is a clean connection. This is a software bug for sure! What aggravated me more is their ending line of warranty coverage of $29.99 with a $5.99/mo service charge for service of this unit if it is faulty (Which I belive it is NOT!). The gentelman I spoke with was scripted for sure... I've been an engineer for years, and this feels quite like a software glitch on thier part. I'll be on standby for another month, I love my dish and really do not want to give it up for cable... on the same note I do not want to pay for warranty service when it is not where the problem lies. Here's my info... lesson learned (disable SYSTEM UPGRADE MODE) without my permission.
Software version: p222DCKD-N
Boot Strap Version: 22ABCKD
If there's a fix to this, please let me know.... I'm fairly confident this is not a fault on my equipment.
dougmac@highstream.net

Doug

As an update to my previous post in this thread, I replaced my Model 5000 with the 510 and still have the same problems. I have a 811 hooked up on the other connection of the legacy twin lnb without loss of signal problems. On the 510, I completely lose signals from both 110 and 119. I have tried some of the workarounds provided in this thread with off and on success. I really think it is a software bug that affects more than just the 501s, 508s and 510s because as stated earlier, I experienced the same thing with the Model 5000. As pure speculation, I think the problem arose when they changed the software for the Sirius channels.

replaced 501 with 510, still drop outs

Hi Everyone,
It's been a while... Like I had written in a previous post, I ordered a Dish 510 as replacement for my possibly faulty 501. Strangely, the 501 had worked quite well ever since the 510 arrived, so it was just sitting in a box until today. I finally installed the 510 and authorized it with Dish on the phone. I now have to pay the $5 PVR fee, which I'm not happy about.

In any case, signal reliablity seems to be better on the 510 from what I can tell so far. However, I just had a drop out and noticed that it coincided with a cellphone call coming in on my T-Mobile phone. What is everybody's opinion on RF interference with these tuners? There is quite a good amount of signals in my home, a wireless access point (2.4 GHz?), a cordless phone (2.4 GHz) and two T-Mobile cell phones.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

binary

The workings and circuitry of these devices shouldn't be too different from typical computers. I've only seen servers/computers flip out when the power of the transmitters exceed four watts. (Not a pretty thing to have happen, btw.)

In theory your wattage is too low from those devices, I think, to make much of a difference of that magnitude, but I can't comment on whether or not the noise generated would interfere with the signal processing (in other words, probably no catastrophic reboots, but maybe signal degredation?)

I say this knowing full well that I still have a telephone that sometimes mysteriously plays a radio station without a speaker. The most bizarre thing you've ever seen.

-j

binary said:
Hi Everyone,
It's been a while... Like I had written in a previous post, I ordered a Dish 510 as replacement for my possibly faulty 501. Strangely, the 501 had worked quite well ever since the 510 arrived, so it was just sitting in a box until today. I finally installed the 510 and authorized it with Dish on the phone. I now have to pay the $5 PVR fee, which I'm not happy about.

In any case, signal reliablity seems to be better on the 510 from what I can tell so far. However, I just had a drop out and noticed that it coincided with a cellphone call coming in on my T-Mobile phone. What is everybody's opinion on RF interference with these tuners? There is quite a good amount of signals in my home, a wireless access point (2.4 GHz?), a cordless phone (2.4 GHz) and two T-Mobile cell phones.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

binary

I also have the same trouble with my 501. have since replaced it with spare 3700 and all ok.
Sent DN email last week but still no reply.

Conversed with Tech people today & she says to reinstall 501. After a period of time I refered to this website and the fact that there are several bad 5xx recievers out there and the fact that it may be a software upgrade problem.

Now things quite different. She offered for $19.95
to send me another new?? 501. I immediatle accepted her offer.

Now we will see what future holds for my problem.

Wow, that's nice that the replacement worked. I wish I would have been offered that deal, I would have gone for that instead of the 510 for $80 and $5/month PVR/DVR fee.

Knocking on wood, the 510 has been working pretty well, except for a few unexplained outages that weren't weather/blockage related. I just had another outage that definitely seemed to be cellphone related, which is weird and shouldn't be.

Hope your 501 will keep working.

binary

although it may be a software glitch or bug in the p221, P222, P223 releases, there is a known hardware defect with the 501 and the conexant tuner it uses. might try a google search and see what you come up with. May help all the 5xx series to make sure it has plenty of good air curculation/ventilation. read threads of people having to add heat sinks and fans to them to be on safe side and avoid the aquiring signal error screens or just plain drop outs and reboots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)