501 PVR wont respond to my remote after firmware upgrade from Dish

nebachanezar

Original poster
May 11, 2004
Hello all,

I just purchased a 501 from ebay and it was a receiver that was never previously used or activated. I hooked it up to the satellite stream and it upgraded to the P4.00 software but ever since then, the remote has stopped working. I looked at the sys info and it says remote address 1 and I tried reprogramming that with the remote, also tried changing remote address with no luck. Any ideas? Also for some reason, audio is not working either. This receiver came with a blue access card and Dish is sending me a new one so the receiver is not activated yet, dont know if that has anything to do with it. Please help.

If remember correctly you can also reset this receiver by pulling the card and then put it back in. You should at least get audio even if it has a blue card. Do you see video on channel 101?

I cant get to chanel 101, it tells me that it needs to be activated. The reason I'm saying I have no audio is because prior to the upgrade when i was in th system setup menu under point dish, I had audio tones for the signal strenght meter. Now under the same menu, the meter is there and functional, but no tones. Tv is not on mute and tried it on another TV as well. I have also done a reset by taking the card out and putting it back in.

Hmmm, its weird that it was working fine before the upgrade. Is it possible that the upgrade messed it up? To be honest, I called Dish to have someone sent out to repoint my Dish because I was not getting sat 110 and signal was pretty low on 119. Dish scheduled my appointment but they said they could still go ahead and activate my receiver before hand. I said are you sure even though the signal is not what it should be? They said yes, so I followed his instructions and it seemed like the upgrade went fine. It came back up but with these symptoms now. Would Dish be liable to fix my box?

You could sign for DHPP warranty and then cancel it after the receiver has been replaced.

It's possible that the software update killed the receiver so you could try going that route too. Just tell them that it was fine before the update and now you don't have sound.

Well, after calling Dish and going through their rigorous troubleshooting for like the 5fth time, they are sending me a new receiver at "no extra charge". I still can't believe that upgrade fried my box.

Well, after calling Dish and going through their rigorous troubleshooting for like the 5fth time, they are sending me a new receiver at "no extra charge". I still can't believe that upgrade fried my box.

From what Scott posted, it's a major upgrade. Anything is possible. Glad you're getting the receiver replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts