501 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

project86

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 24, 2006
My parents have an ancient 501 DVR. The remote is called a "Platinum" and it is starting to have issues. I've never used the remote that came with my 722 (possibly a 5.0 but I've never looked at it, I use a Harmony). Is there a way to get my remote working on their system? I assume it is not as easy as simply bringing my remote to their house and it will work.....

Also, my dad swears that he has some music stations that I don't have. I think it was in the 8500 channel range but I could be remembering wrong. I had him check at my house recently and although I get a bunch of Sirius and "CD" labeled channels, he said the others were missing. Any idea what these are? I have AT200+locals+HD (the $10 package) if that matters. He is scared that if he upgrades he might lose those because he really likes them.

No, you need another platinum remote, the one that comes with the 722 will not work with a 501. Also note that Sirius changes their channel lineup. A music channel you have today can be gone tomorrow, but it may be back at some time in the future.

I believe an IR 5.3 remote comes with a 722. The UHF/Pro 6.3 would be the UHF remote that comes with a 722 for TV2. IIRC, the 6.3 is also called the "universal remote", and I believe it could be made to work with a 501 if only the OP had the right "chip" to shove in the bottom.

If you have the at200 silver and he has at250 gold, then yes he gets the Mono audio channels that you don't.

The remote from the 722 will work with the 501, but only as an infrared remote. Meaning only in the room with the receiver and not from another room. You will also need to set the address for the receiver and the remote to the same number.

If you have the at200 silver and he has at250 gold, then yes he gets the Mono audio channels that you don't.

The remote from the 722 will work with the 501, but only as an infrared remote. Meaning only in the room with the receiver and not from another room. You will also need to set the address for the receiver and the remote to the same number.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds reasonable about the channels. He has some really old package I'm sure.

good new about the remote (and contrary to the other posts). How do I go about setting the addresses?

I believe an IR 5.3 remote comes with a 722. The UHF/Pro 6.3 would be the UHF remote that comes with a 722 for TV2. IIRC, the 6.3 is also called the "universal remote", and I believe it could be made to work with a 501 if only the OP had the right "chip" to shove in the bottom.

And the 6.3 remote that comes with the 722 has the correct "chip" just flip it over to the black UHF side.

I actually do use my TV2 remote for my bedroom, so I'm not giving that away. I just want to know how to set up my 5.3 with the 501. IR only is perfectly fine for this application.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds reasonable about the channels. He has some really old package I'm sure.

good new about the remote (and contrary to the other posts). How do I go about setting the addresses?

I actually do use my TV2 remote for my bedroom, so I'm not giving that away. I just want to know how to set up my 5.3 with the 501. IR only is perfectly fine for this application.
use front panel buttons to guide through menu and go menu 6-1-3 when on system info put remote in sat mode and hit record on remote,that should set the receiver to the address that the remote is set to

No, you need another platinum remote, the one that comes with the 722 will not work with a 501.

Yes they will. The 5.3 will work for IR. The 6.3 (UHF Pro)) will work with the 501/508/510 once you flip the key over from blue to black.

Try this before going out and re ordering a new remote!
Many, Many ,Many people always think their remote is broken and 90% of the time it is dirt build up on the contat points from those messy little oily hands of ours touching the Dorito and Potato Chip bowl etc... You know who you are He he he!!!
It is VERY VERY easy to clean any dishnetwork remote .Try this before attempting to order a new one.

1) Take the batteries out of the remote.
2) Take a screw driver or butter knife and begin to pry around "All" edges of the remote until the two sides seperate .NOTE :Do NOT use a sharp knife or you could hurt yourself?
3) Seperate the plastic from the electronic section.Some remotes have a rubery electronic circuit board.This also will need cleaning.
4) Take a bunch of Q-Tips and some rubbing alcohol and start cleaning the contact points (little black contact points and also on the rubbery circuit board)
5) You can wash the hard plastic cover in the sink with dishwash soap making sure you get into every nook and cranny but make sure it is thoroughly dry before re assembling the remote.
6)After cleaning the remote thoroughly start re assembling the housing the same way you took it apart. Everything should snap back together with ease!Make sure the batterie terminals slide back into place correctly. Everything should just snap in place and presto!!! Good for another year or when you spill your next beer!!!!

Good Luck All Mikil.

After dishwashing use hair dryer and be sure the board is absolutly dry - or else you could damage it by etching contacts or overload a chip inside after inserting batteries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)