508 & 811 combination

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SAT

Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
NE Oklahoma
I'm still trying to get a positive wiring question answered. When the dish installer comes I would like for it to be wired right. Attached is a pdf file showing the existing wiring and proposed wiring (in dashed lines). I would like to use the 508 on the same tv as the 811. I really don't want to move the 508 and watch a recorded show on a small tv, nor want an additional cost to record on a large tv. Equipment: Samsung 507, dual line dish w/ 508 & 811, Yamaha rx-v795. Any help would be appreciated. Oh by the way, I'm a nubie.

Attachments

• WiringNEWSAT1.pdf
    111.3 KB · Views: 232
it al looks right except the Antenna, I see you have a splitter and take 1 to FM on the amp and the other to the TV. Does your TV have a built-in Tuner? Is so I would split it and run one to the 811 so you will have locals in the guide as well. The rest looks good. You ran the Video outs straight to the TV and The audio outs straight to the amp. THe only thing I dont see is cable quality? Use at least Monster Video2

I have a 501 and 811 both going into the same TV (Sony 40" XBR). When we got the 811, I had the installer run a second line from the Dish. One line goes into the 811 the other into the 501. Each receiver then feeds into a different input on the back of the TV. When we want to watch one or the other we just cycle thru the active inputs (501, DVD, VCR, Xbox, 811). 811 feeds into the DVI input on the TV; DVD and Xbox use the component inputs. I only use the surround sound receiver when watching 811 HD or DVD, so I've got a separate optical audio line for each going into the Onyko receiver. Seems to work OK. I think.

Next step is a universal remote to cut down on the 6 separate ones we have now. :eek:

I am going to add a 508 to my existing 811/311 system, as well. I will install it in the LR, use the s-video out to the LR TV, and the RF out to the BR. I will remove the 311 from my account, and probably sell it on eBay. (I am doing it this way to avoid having to buy a DP 34 and run a thrid line into the house.)

My big question:
I currently use a universal IR remote in the LR. It controls the 811 set to address 1 perfectly, using the pre-programmed code for Echostar receivers. (I did have to add a few learning keys.). If I set the 508 to a different address, can I stil control the 508 with my universal, using a different device key? Or, will I have to use the Dish remote.

I am assuming that I can use the Dish UHF remote from the BR to control the 508, which wil be located in the LR.

GaryPen said:
My big question:
I currently use a universal IR remote in the LR. It controls the 811 set to address 1 perfectly, using the pre-programmed code for Echostar receivers. (I did have to add a few learning keys.). If I set the 508 to a different address, can I stil control the 508 with my universal, using a different device key? Or, will I have to use the Dish remote.

I am assuming that I can use the Dish UHF remote from the BR to control the 508, which wil be located in the LR.

Yes. Using a JP1 remote (radio shack 15-2116), I can control both my 811 (on remote address 1) and my 510 (on remote address 10); I use the SAT device key for the 811 and the VCR device key for the 510.

Thanks yrac. Was there a special device code, or some other thing you did to the RS remote to make it work with the 510 at an other-than-1 address? Or, does the standard Echostar code work with any Dish receiver, regardless of address? I would think the latter would cause conflicts.

Generally speaking, you can control multiple E* receivers with a universal remote. The real key is the learning abilities/capacity of your remote. Each of the E* remote address codes change both the RF and IR codes emitted by the remote (and expected by the receiver). So, for example, I have a universal remote controlling two separate receivers in the same room (stacked right on top of each other).

However, the vast majority of the pre-programmed universal remotes only have 1 code built in for E*, which is remote address #1. So unless the remote has the ability to learn a bunch of keys (for example, from an E* remote using address #2), you'll be out of luck. The more sophisticated universal remotes (e.g., Pronto) have significant learning abilities, and thus can handle this with ease.

High Technology said:
However, the vast majority of the pre-programmed universal remotes only have 1 code built in for E*, which is remote address #1. So unless the remote has the ability to learn a bunch of keys (for example, from an E* remote using address #2), you'll be out of luck. The more sophisticated universal remotes (e.g., Pronto) have significant learning abilities, and thus can handle this with ease.

This is correct. However, the software for JP1 remotes will also allow you to change the remote address. To program my 510, I downloaded the codes for a 508 and used the software to change the remote address to 10. Here's more info on JP1 Remotes

yrac- Thanks for the tip on multiple remote addresses and JP1. I learned of JP1 last week. (probably from a post by you.) All of my universals are JP1. I'm looking forward to getting the cable, downloading the software, and programming my LR remote. I'll need to use the Dish UHF remote to control the 510 from the BR, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)