508 and 811 with 2 TV's

Ron2nd2nd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
:) I have a 508 connected to my TV in my bedroom and just on the other side of the wall is my HDTV with an 811. I want to be able to still use the 508 on my HDTV for watching non HD recorded programs and also on my bedroom TV. I know the remote is a UHF remote so the signal will get sent to thru the wall, but will it effect the 811 I am sitting in front of? Also how would I hook this up to do this if this is possible at all? :confused:

Ron2nd2nd said:
:) I have a 508 connected to my TV in my bedroom and just on the other side of the wall is my HDTV with an 811. I want to be able to still use the 508 on my HDTV for watching non HD recorded programs and also on my bedroom TV. I know the remote is a UHF remote so the signal will get sent to thru the wall, but will it effect the 811 I am sitting in front of? Also how would I hook this up to do this if this is possible at all? :confused:

Since the 811 uses the UHF Pro techology (while the 508 remote does not), the 508 remote will not affect the 811. In my setup, I have an 811 and a 510 on the same tv; and the 811 UHF Pro remote doesn't affect my 510 (and vice versa). I do, however, have a 4900, so I had to change the remote address on my 510 so that the 4900 remote doesn't affect the 510.

Hope this helps.

I assume you don't have surround sound in the bedroom and want the best pic quality for the hi-def TV.

I'd probably put both boxes in the room with the HDTV (if you can move the sat feed from the bedroom). I believe the 811 can respond to the IR codes from the 508 remote. No big deal, just change the remote address.

For the bedroom, run a coax from the 508 to the bedroom TV and use channel 3 or 4 to watch Satellite.

For the HDTV, I assume you have the 811 feeding component (or DVI). Connect the 508 with S-Video. If you have an extra port on your receiver, you can run the 508 audio and video through that.

Again if you're receiver has enough digital audio inputs, you can use those for both boxes.

We can help you more, but you'll have to tell us more about your other equipment (receiver - how many ports?, HDTV - how many ports?).

Some extra specs

Thanks for the info! I have a Mitsubishi WS-55413 and it has 2 S-Video,2 RF Jacks and 3 Component Inputs. My sound system is an older Sony DreamSystem a DAV-S300 wich has only one digital input. Thanks again.

Do you want to use the digital audio (is it 5.1)? You don't say if it's optical or coax. Either way, there's some very inexpensive switch boxes out there (unless you're ready to upgrade the receiver - not very expensive these days).

Here's a 4-1 optical for $20:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_011_000&product_id=15-1586

Here's a 3-1 with s-vhs and ir control:
http://www.cablesamerica.com/product.asp?cat_id=7001&sku=28731

Most people tend to use RF (coax) for remote TVs. The coax can run very long distances. But, with your setup, you can probably get away with a set of AV patch cords through the wall (you could use S-Video on the HDTV and composite in the bedroom).

Up to you, but if you want the digital audio, it'll be easier to keep the 508 in that room.

If you want to avoid moving the sat feed from the bedroom, you can try and string s-video through the wall.

Cables America also has S-video/Audio cables (I like their Velocity series):
http://www.cablesamerica.com/categories.asp?cat_id=7100

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)