508 PVR with balance. Is it worthless?

Joe236

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
I recently got a 508 PVR and found it had a balance due on it. So DISH wouldn't activate it. Is there anything that can be done other then pay the balance to get DISH to let you use the receiver. If not I guess I am just better off just throwing it away and just moving on. Oh well....thanks

E-Bay purchase?
No, I think your stuck.
I'd call the seller and see if he'll give you money back - be careful about sending the unit first - this doesn't sound like an honest person.

Then, leave the negative feedback.

In the future, ask the seller to E-Mail you the receiver ID. Then, Call dish - I think they can verify the box.

Joe236 said:
I recently got a 508 PVR and found it had a balance due on it. So DISH wouldn't activate it. Is there anything that can be done other then pay the balance to get DISH to let you use the receiver. If not I guess I am just better off just throwing it away and just moving on. Oh well....thanks

Call 303-723-3800 during regular business hours and give them the receiver R00 number. They can tell you who the original retailer of record is, and their phone number. If it was originally installed by a retailer and not DISH directly, the retailer can clear the balance on the receiver through the new Amnesty program that was just announced on the last chat. The retailer will probably want to do this if they were charged back for the deactivation. It would mean that they would be paid for the additional receiver activation once you got it activated. As it is now, it doesn't to you or them any good.

Don't throw it away. I'll pay the shipping if you want to send it to me. ;)

Thanks for the information. I will call the number and see what can be done. What is the 303-723-3800 number to? Is this DISH? Yes I was suckered into a Ebay auction. I was on military duty away from home and our receiver went out and I tried to correct the problem quickly by getter a 508 of ebay not paying enough attention. I just wanted my Wife to be able to watch TV. I had enough troubles being away from home and I just wanted this one gone fast. I just made things worse for me and the wife. :)

The retailer may do it for a fee as it would cost him so much to send in the card if that is how the amnesty program works plus some would not do it unless there was something in it for him. Heck he would probably offer you something for your receiver. The amnesty programs in the past did not require the original retailer on record that sold the receiver to do the amnesty.

Stargazer said:
The retailer may do it for a fee as it would cost him so much to send in the card if that is how the amnesty program works plus some would not do it unless there was something in it for him. Heck he would probably offer you something for your receiver. The amnesty programs in the past did not require the original retailer on record that sold the receiver to do the amnesty.

This is what was announced on the chat:
Smart Cards DON'T have to be sent in...

• Effective 1/27/04 Through 2/28/04
  • Receiver Must Be Attached To A DISH Network Account AND Have A Delinquent Balance To Qualify.
  • Eligible Models: 301, 501, 508, 510
  • Smart Cards Are Not Exchanged Under This New Program.
  • Similar To Current DHP Receiver Re-deployment Program.
These are the steps required:
1. Completely Fill Out And Submit The Amnesty Request Form Located On http://retailer.echostar.com Under The Service Tab.

2. Only Units Tied To The Original Retailer Of Record Will Be Eligible In This Program And Commissionable.

3. Attach Receiver To A Live Satellite Feed And Phone Line.

4. Within 24 Hours You Will Receive A Confirmation E-mail Indicating That The Receiver Has Been Released From The Original Consumer's Account And Is Ready For Resale.

5. Confirm That Receiver Displays Only Free-Access Channels. (Ex: Channel 101)

6. Remove All Recorded Programming From Hard-Drive Receivers.

7. Disconnect Satellite Feed And Phone Line. The Receiver Is Ready For Sale And Re-deployment.

The only other problem is the original dealer may have an ownership issue with the 508. If the receiver has an outstanding balance the original customer may have defaulted on his contract with the dealer and that dealer may want the receiver back or some money to offset his loss. You may be better off trying to get resolution through Ebay.

That's cool that you don't have to send them in now. When I got my 2 301 receivers from my local retailer they both had balances on them (they were factory refurbs). The installer had to come back the next day and bring 2 301s that didn't have a balance.

That happened to me with a 3800 2 years ago, the weasel sold me a unit that was clean but broken and the exchange he sent me had over a $100 balance on it. Eventually I got my money back but it took a lot of work.

Thanks for all the information. I kinda got excited last night hearing I might be able to use this thing after all so I went to get the receivers id# and stuff and noticed that smart cards were gone. I looked all over for hours and finally found them. Now I guess I have determined it is worthless. Talked to DISH and got the retailers number and called him. Nice guy, but stated that he got out the DISH business about 6 months ago because of too many charge back like in my case where the guy didn't pay for everything. So since this all has to be done by the original retailer I guess I am out of luck. If anyone has any other ideas I will listen( Like I have any other options at this point.) Also a few people have said on here and private messaged me about buying this receiver. If you wish to send an offer I will entertain it. I have all but given up even using this big paper weight.

I am glad that they do not have to be sent in now but only the original retailer on record can do this. I think the reason for this is that they are basing this the same way as original commissions on the receivers, they are just clearing the balances from the receivers themselves.

Thanks to all for the help and information. Since posting on the satellite forums I have had quite a few people email me asking to purchase the receiver. Well I was just about to give up when I got a call today from DISH reply to the email I sent to them last night. They are going to take care of my issue and let me add the receiver to my account. So I guess I am glad I didn't get rid of it a year ago when I bought it and had all the trouble. Guess I should have fired an email off sooner. Well thanks to everyone.

Joe