508 Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Daddyad

Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I just got a 508 and am a bit confused so far. Is there any way that you can record a program and at the same time be watching another channel? Even my vcr can do this so I am confused why I can't get the 508 to do this. Also, can the 508 search under favorite actors?

In order to record one program and watch another on the 5XX series receivers, you can only be watching something that is pre-recorded, because there is only one tuner. If you want something that will let you record and watch live programing at the same time, you'll need a 522, 721 or 921 or a second 508.

Daddyad said:
I just got a 508 and am a bit confused so far. Is there any way that you can record a program and at the same time be watching another channel? Even my vcr can do this so I am confused why I can't get the 508 to do this. Also, can the 508 search under favorite actors?

You can search within a program description by checking that box when you do a search. I guess as long as the actor you are looking for is the main character who is listed in the program description then you should be able to find him.

Actually very few VCRs can do taht. Usually with a VCR you can use the TVs tuner. Since few TVS can do thsi it is not possible. You need a two tuner DVR or another receiver.

Can I somehow keep my 301 connected so that it is the 2nd tuner? If so, how should it be connected. I didn't see any of this info about 2nd tuners in the manual.
Thanks in advance.

Sure you can use you 301, so you have a second tuner. I forget if the 508 has a video input itself (i know the 721 & 921 has one), if it does you can use this, but it won't record what is inputed. It will only display it.

Or you can use a second input on your TV. Or you can use a A-B switch.

The 508 does not have a video input on the back. But you can do 1 of 2 things

1- you can connect a coax between the 301 TV Set Out to 508 antenna/cable
in and then you just need to hit the TV/Video button to switch between
them both. I use to switch back and forth with my Directv and 508 like this

2- you can connect the 301 and 508 to your TV on different inputs on your TV.
This method allows you to use PIP and depending on what kind of Tv you
then you could watch your 301 and 508 at the same time side by side

HDTV Rookie said:
The 508 does not have a video input on the back. But you can do 1 of 2 things

1- you can connect a coax between the 301 TV Set Out to 508 antenna/cable
in and then you just need to hit the TV/Video button to switch between
them both. I use to switch back and forth with my Directv and 508 like this

2- you can connect the 301 and 508 to your TV on different inputs on your TV.
This method allows you to use PIP and depending on what kind of Tv you
then you could watch your 301 and 508 at the same time side by side

When using the 1st method to switch between 301 and 508 with TV/Video switch, will 508 continue recording an existing event if there is one.

Thanks for all of the help. I have one new question though. Do I have to keep my 301 activated then and also pay the $5/month for an additional receiver (a 3rd receiver even though I only have 2 tvs). I currently have two tvs, one with the 811 and the other with the 508 (I'm paying the $5/month for the 2nd receiver on the 508).
Thanks in advance.

TCJ

I never tried it, but theoretically it should be no different than if your TV were off. Keep in mind that the 508 is not recording what it see's on the TV, but what the Satellite is scheduled to receive on the channel that you set it to record for. So you could completely disconnect your TV and as long as the Sat coax connection is there, it should still record the programing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts