50th Anniversary of 'Wide World of Sports' Celebrated

i saw that very first episode. it was suppose to be a summer replacement show for abc. turned out to be one of the best sport shows ever. it and host the late jim mckay, are both sadly missed!

I was at the highest rated show that ABC's Wide World of Sports ever had. Back in 1975 I went to Kings Island in Ohio to see Evel Knievel jump . Frank Gifford was at that event. He was easy to pick out . He was the only one wearing that awful looking yellow ABC mustard jacket. But he was great. He came over and talked to us. Two players from the Cincinnati Reds were at the jump. I couldn't find video of the jump for years but I finally did . A trader who made the copies made me sign a agreement that I wouldn't make copies of it. I finally got to see myself in the background after all those years.

Last edited:
Is the "Agony of Defeat" ski jumper still alive? They used to wheel him out for every previous milestone anniversary.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about Muhammad Ali fighting professional wrestlers in 1976 in Japan and also Chicago. It was embarrassing. Wide World showed it today. Howard Cosell criticized him as the event was being shown. . It was a real low point of his career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts