510 & 811

Luther

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
I am finally recieving my 811 after a long wait, but what's good about it I'm also getting a 510 at the same time. Yeah, for $123 (no cc autopay) I get both. I'm on the DHP plan. So here's the question. I currently have a SuperDish with three 301's and a Sony Plasma. I'm going to let them take the 301 that's hooked to the Plasma. Can I have them hook up the 510 & 811 to the Plasma with the output of the 510 going to a Vdeo IN jack and the 811 hooked to the DVI input. My idea is that I want to use the 510 exclusively for all general, non-HD, viewing and recording and the 811 only for HD. This is assuming they run another cable and provide the neccessary switch. Would this be a good idea, if not any suggestions. Thanks :cool:

Luther said:
I am finally recieving my 811 after a long wait, but what's good about it I'm also getting a 510 at the same time. Yeah, for $123 (no cc autopay) I get both. I'm on the DHP plan. So here's the question. I currently have a SuperDish with three 301's and a Sony Plasma. I'm going to let them take the 301 that's hooked to the Plasma. Can I have them hook up the 510 & 811 to the Plasma with the output of the 510 going to a Vdeo IN jack and the 811 hooked to the DVI input. My idea is that I want to use the 510 exclusively for all general, non-HD, viewing and recording and the 811 only for HD. This is assuming they run another cable and provide the neccessary switch. Would this be a good idea, if not any suggestions. Thanks :cool:

Hi Luther, I currently have pretty much the same setup with my Sammy DLP and it works fine. I have my 508 going to S-Video1 and My 811 going to DVI. They'll just need to set each receiver to a different remote address. They should run the cable for you and provide any additional switches you need.
Enjoy :)

NightRyder

Thanks so much for the info. I had a feeling it would'nt be a problem. Been reading some things about this Harmony Remote, thinking about buying it so that I only havr to deal with one remote. It's a little pricy (~ $120.00) but it seems to work well for everyone, including people with an 811 & PVR (510, 508 etc.). Thanks again!!!

Luther - Nightryder's wiring is different than the one you suggest. I would choose Nightryder's. He is using two different inputs of the display, instead of hooking the 510 to the 811's composite inputs as you say you wish to do.

The 811's a/v inputs make the image look like crap, compared to connecting directly to your display's a/v or s-video inputs.

I already have an 811, and am waiting for the UPS guy with my 510. When it arrives, I will be hooking the two units directly to my two displays. (811 DVI to Sony Direct-view, and Component to Sanyo projector through my ES receiver; and, the 510 S-video to the Sony, and a/v to Sanyo through receiver.)

I will also be connecting the 510's RF output to 3 other rooms using the condo's pre-existing wiring.

GaryPen said:
Luther - Nightryder's wiring is different than the one you suggest. I would choose Nightryder's. He is using two different inputs of the display, instead of hooking the 510 to the 811's composite inputs as you say you wish to do.

The 811's a/v inputs make the image look like crap, compared to connecting directly to your display's a/v or s-video inputs.

I already have an 811, and am waiting for the UPS guy with my 510. When it arrives, I will be hooking the two units directly to my two displays. (811 DVI to Sony Direct-view, and Component to Sanyo projector through my ES receiver; and, the 510 S-video to the Sony, and a/v to Sanyo through receiver.)

I will also be connecting the 510's RF output to 3 other rooms using the condo's pre-existing wiring.

Luther, GaryPen is right. I misread your post the first time. Don't route your 510 through the 811.

I just purchased a Harmony 659 remote for my wife. I am not overly impressed with it. I finally got it working correctly but I have spent more time working on this remote than my last 3 combined. The web interface is slow and clunky and the remote feels cheap. Check out the Home Theater Master 500 and 700 series. I have a 500 and wouldn't trade it for the Harmony if they paid me to. If you decide to get the Harmony here is a helpful link on getting it to control two different dish receivers at the same time.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/thread.cgi?keywords=999&highlight=dish|811

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Luther, GaryPen is right. I misread your post the first time. Don't route your 510 through the 811.

I just purchased a Harmony 659 remote for my wife. I am not overly impressed with it. I finally got it working correctly but I have spent more time working on this remote than my last 3 combined. The web interface is slow and clunky and the remote feels cheap. Check out the Home Theater Master 500 and 700 series. I have a 500 and wouldn't trade it for the Harmony if they paid me to. If you decide to get the Harmony here is a helpful link on getting it to control two different dish receivers at the same time.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/thread.cgi?keywords=999&highlight=dish|811

NightRyder

No, my intentions are to run the output of the 811 to the DVI input of my Sony Plasma, and the output of the 510 to the S-Video input of the same Sony Plasma. They are both are on different video inputs on the Plasma. Would that be a problem? Thanks for the input on the Harmony !!

Luther said:
No, my intentions are to run the output of the 811 to the DVI input of my Sony Plasma, and the output of the 510 to the S-Video input of the same Sony Plasma. They are both are on different video inputs on the Plasma. Would that be a problem?

No problem. That is exactly the same way I have mine is setup.

NightRyder

I got that deal too!

Luther said:

:bounce Hey! I got the same deal, but I took the autopay (I can change back at any time) so my total was $99. They also threw in an extra 301 receiver at no charge.

I am connected:

811 -> DVI -> 56" JVC L'Art HDTV (Sound: TOSLINK -> DENON receiver)
510 -> composite -> 20" RCA (Sound: TOSLINK -> Panasonic HT-900 combo)
301 -> composite -> 27" Sony (Sound: composite/RCA -> Kenwood receiver)

Once I tweaked my JVC HDTV, the 811 really shined. WOW, what a picture. Even the install techs were impressed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)