510 DVR can't find 110 on new DP44

Kevin Elm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
I finally got my VIP 622 installed yesterday with a new DP44 switch. When the installer left my new 622, and old 721 and 510 receivers all worked perfectly. He had to reboot the 510 because initially it couldn't find the 110 satellite.

After the installer left I swapped locations for the 510 and the 721. The 721 works perfectly using a DP seperator at the old 510 location. However, when I fired up the 510, it is having problems finding the 110 satellite.

I have done a number of switch tests, sometimes the 510 passes and finds both the odd and even transponders, sometimes it only finds the even transponders. After the switch test and reboot the 510 goes to the "Congrats you have a Dish 1000 screen" but I only have the free to air channels. I've lost all my programming. When I go to the system info screen it shows that the 119 and 129 locations are working but there is a red "X" under 110.

Tech support wasn't much help. They said I'd need a service call to look at the switch.

Any ideas?

Do you know which sat locations go to which DPP44 input. This sounds stupid, but 119 should go into port 1, 110 into port 2, and depending what you want to have priority into port 3, and last into port 4. They may also be a loose wire, wire with bad end, or wire not protruding far enough into switch or receiver. Any of these could cause a problem in some equipment and not all. Since the problem moved when you changed location of the 510, start at the back of that receiver and check these items until you find/fix problem or get to lnb's.

garys said:
Do you know which sat locations go to which DPP44 input. This sounds stupid, but 119 should go into port 1, 110 into port 2, and depending what you want to have priority into port 3, and last into port 4. They may also be a loose wire, wire with bad end, or wire not protruding far enough into switch or receiver. Any of these could cause a problem in some equipment and not all. Since the problem moved when you changed location of the 510, start at the back of that receiver and check these items until you find/fix problem or get to lnb's.

Yes, that is right the order is 119, 110, 129. When I get home tonight I planned to work backward from the receiver starting with the lead wire. Will also label the wires on the DP44 to see which receivers.

Does it make a difference where the power inserter is?

I don't know if there is something wrong with your equipment but I just checked my setup and I am not receiving a signal from 110

Kevin Elm said:
I finally got my VIP 622 installed yesterday with a new DP44 switch. When the installer left my new 622, and old 721 and 510 receivers all worked perfectly. He had to reboot the 510 because initially it couldn't find the 110 satellite.

After the installer left I swapped locations for the 510 and the 721. The 721 works perfectly using a DP seperator at the old 510 location. However, when I fired up the 510, it is having problems finding the 110 satellite.

I have done a number of switch tests, sometimes the 510 passes and finds both the odd and even transponders, sometimes it only finds the even transponders. After the switch test and reboot the 510 goes to the "Congrats you have a Dish 1000 screen" but I only have the free to air channels. I've lost all my programming. When I go to the system info screen it shows that the 119 and 129 locations are working but there is a red "X" under 110.

Tech support wasn't much help. They said I'd need a service call to look at the switch.

Any ideas?
I have two 510's and one 301. After your first post I checked the 510 I was using and noticed I had lost sat 110. The other 510 and 301 were ok. I did the normal reboot/check switch and smart card pull, nothing fixed the issue. I called Tech Support and had to check switch 4 times and then the problem was solved. Tech said that there could be a software glich with some of the 510's using software update p308. Hope this helps.

I just ran a check on my 510 and I get the same problem of it not picking up E-10.

Frank Jr. said:
I have two 510's and one 301. After your first post I checked the 510 I was using and noticed I had lost sat 110. The other 510 and 301 were ok. I did the normal reboot/check switch and smart card pull, nothing fixed the issue. I called Tech Support and had to check switch 4 times and then the problem was solved. Tech said that there could be a software glich with some of the 510's using software update p308. Hope this helps.

Since Kevin Elm's first post I have checked and found that this is a software issue with the 510's. IT IS NOT a problem with your equipment. DishNetwork is notorious for software update bugs. The first time I called Dish the Tech said that it was a software issue. He and I thought we had it fixed with doing a switch check about four times. Well about an hour later same problem. I called Dish again and spoke to someone in INDIA(sad to say) you need a technician to come to your house. NO! NOT!@#$NO. Had enough of that s&^t. I did about another 4 or 5 check switches and back to normal so far. TimeWarner Cable is looking better and better ' Own two homes. One with TWC and this one with DishNetwork. Very few problems with TWC. Growing very weary of satellite tv.

Arrrgggh!

Problem solved - the dreaded multiple system failure! :mad:

1) Installer had only finger tightened the output connections to the DP-44 switch.
I ran a 50' coax straight from the 510 to the DP-44 and swapped ports with one of the lines to the 622. That didn't work, so I suspected the 510 was fried. Yes, the power inserter is on port one, and it runs my 721 through a DPP separator.

2) All 3 receivers worked perfectly when the installer left. He put up all his equipment and then from his truck he called the super secret installer toll free number to activate my VIP 622, swapping out my old 4900 receiver for the 622 and then close the work order. I heard the installer tell the CSR clearly to deactivate the 4900. The CSR then proceeded to deactivate my 510 instead! It takes a little time for the system to deactivate a receiver, so when the installer did his final walkthrough I still had programming. About 30 minutes after he left I swapped the 721 for the 510 location. I didn't notice the 510 was deactivated.

3) Yes, I have the dreaded 3.08 software glitch. I did multiple switch tests and reboots. Sometimes 110 picked up nothing, sometimes it found the odd transponders, sometimes the even ones. Finally I got it to pass both the switch test and the System Info test. In frustration I called Dish Network advanced Tech Support to issue a "hit" to the receiver to see if it would restore my programming. That is when the CSR told me that my account didn't show the 510.

Everything is working now. I am using two DPP separators to run the 622 and 721. That left me a spare coax from the 622 to use for TV 2, which I routed to an upstairs bedroom on channels 63 and 66.

Very frustrated with Dish tech support, but I'm signed up now for another 18 months on the 622 lease. I just have to grin and bear it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)