Confused about dish types

slimoli

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
I am planning to move from D* to E* very soon because I simply can't watch D* in SD anymore (looks like a bad VHS tape). I would appreciate if you guys can tell me what kind of dish I will neeed considering the following:

- I live in a condo in Miami and currently have a D* dish pointed to 238 o.
-I don't have SE view , therefore anything on 61.5 is a no go.
-I want all the HD channels, including VOOM, and a Brazilian CH (Globo) besides all other premium channels. I know that GLOBO is also at satellite 121.
-I need 2 622 receivers and I already have 2 pairs of good quality RG6 to the TV locations (I assume that the new dish will be mounted on the same place I have the D* dish).

Questions:

-Can I have one single dish, like Dish 1000 to do all the job?. If not, would a Dish 1000 do everything but Globo?
- Can I add a small dish pointed to satellite 121 in case one single dish is not possible?
-With one dish (dish 1000) do I need any switcher assuming all I want is the 2 622 receivers?

Many thanks for any help. I am looking forward to go back to Dish. When I left Dish I was going crazy with the 921 HD DVR. Tivo is great but with HD-LITE and VHS quality SD it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Another question:

Can I use a small dish (Dish 500) pointed to 129 (HD channels) and another Dish 500 for the 110-119 ?

Please I need to know this before I order. Thanks.

you will need a superdish to get 110 - 119 - 121 for standard programing plus locals plus tv globo and a single dish 300 type pointed at 61.5 or at 129 to get the hd, and this will all require a dish pro plus 44 switch to accomplish. Chances are very good that you will be installed by one of the local dns depot facilities, probably over on the west side of town by dolphin mall is what I suspect and if your in a condo thats probably the area your in. The guys there are good techs so you shouldnt have anything to worry about but make sure that when you order what your looking for that the csr understands you will need a dpp44 switch.

If you can't see the 61.5 satellite get confirmation that you can get an adequate signal off the 129 or kiss HD good bye. Also be aware of the size of a Superdish compared to what you have now it is huge.

From other threads, 129 is solidly in the "blackout" area for the Florida peninsula. But let one of the techs tell you that 61.5 is a no-go for sure. Maybe they can get really creative on the placement. I have also read of cases where dishes can be shared as long as the accounts are not shared. If someone else in your development who is close to you has 61.5 maybe that can be split-off into your system. I think a simple interconnection between the switches will do it. Techs, can you confirm...?

Otherwise as boba said..."No HD for you!", at least not with E* at the present time. Have your considered your OTA options? The 622 reportedly has an excellent OTA tuner and perhaps an indoor antenna might be enough to get all your HD locals reliably. That won't get you most of the national HD channels, but you would at least get the locals...

BTW - HDLite is not unique to D*, but it is reportedly worse with D* than with E*. I have only the latter and it generally looks great, but my best HD channel is PBS received OTA...!

Last edited:
Honestly its not a good idea to go with using someone elses dish to "share" a source because alot of times the coax has to stretch across an area not owned or leased bu either party, and if the party thats sharing his/her dish moves or changes services your SOL.

Im wondering if the so called 129 not viable issue relates to it being used on the D1000, this to me is more than likely the issue as it wouldnt work well with the seperation of the lnbf's.

Van said:
Honestly its not a good idea to go with using someone elses dish to "share" a source because alot of times the coax has to stretch across an area not owned or leased bu either party,...
Good point - might work if you're right next door...
Van said:
...and if the party thats sharing his/her dish moves or changes services your SOL...
'nother good point, no real answer, but you can tell I'm grasping for anything that might work to help out...
Van said:
...Im wondering if the so called 129 not viable issue relates to it being used on the D1000, this to me is more than likely the issue as it wouldnt work well with the seperation of the lnbf's.
You could be right here too, but I honestly believe 129 is actually over the horizon for the folks in the blackout area, especially on the east coast of FL. Again, the local installers will know for sure...

I got even more confused today. Spoke to a Dish installer here in Miami area and he told me that the Dish1000 can be installed and all the HD channels would be available, including the 129 sat. Can anybody here confirm if this is BS or true?

thanks

Sergio

If you want globo, you will need a SuperDish 121 instead of the dish 1000. It is my understanding that since 121w is an fss sat you need the larger dish to receive it. I have a superdish 121 as well as a small dish pointed at 129 and have no problems.

I can live without "Globo" but I really want all the HD channels. It seems that the big question is if I can get the 129 with the Dish 1000 or not here in Miami. Do you live in south Florida?

Thanks

Sergio

YES, you are able to get all your HD channels down there,Miami, with DISH 1000 because I'm a DN dealer for south Florida and I did it already. The signal is gonna be around 70-75 on the 129 sat, maybe less and that is why Dish Network does not like that strength signal for the HD channels. Let the dealer to do the survey test and see what happen. NO GLOBO channel unless you get the 61.5 sat or Superdish.;) You may pay extra for the Dish 1000 because Dish Network does not approved the Dish 1000 to used at Florida and it cost extra for the dealers.

Good luck, Jose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)