510 DVR on a 1000.2 dish, Need Help

Mud Duck28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Theodore, AL
I have a 1000.2 dish with 2 vip 722's that work fine. I want to add an old 510 that I have had out of service for about 4 years. I have the 510 hooked up, but am having difficulty on the check switch test. I realize the smart card is the old dish 500 card(yellow) and the software version is old (P223DFEB-N) I guess, but shouldn't I still be able to get the correct satellites on the check switch test anyway?
The switch test is showing the following:
1 2 3
119 Conn X
All X Odd
Twin Twin Feed

At the bottom of that screen, there is a place to put a check by Super Dish/129 and a place to check by Alternate. Should both, either, or none be checked?
I have hooked up one of the 722's in this room and it works fine.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You should be able to get the correct satellites after you run the check switch test. The setup should be a cable from the 1000.2 directly to the "satellite in" port on the back of the receiver. The current software version for a 510 is P409. Neither super dish or alternate should be checked at the bottom. 119 is coming in fine, so it may be that the software need to be updated before it will bring in satellites 119/110/129 (I'm trying to double checking that info). Satellite 119 transponder 19 contains all of our software spools, so have you tried turning it off to see if it will do a software update?

I've done a hard reboot twice and ran the check switch test with both options at the bottom unchecked and it still will not show the 110 satellite.

When it says conn on the install summary, it means something is connected but its not getting any signal. Are you using any splitters or is there anything inline?

I have a 1000.2 dish with 2 vip 722's that work fine. I want to add an old 510 that I have had out of service for about 4 years. I have the 510 hooked up, but am having difficulty on the check switch test. I realize the smart card is the old dish 500 card(yellow) and the software version is old (P223DFEB-N) I guess, but shouldn't I still be able to get the correct satellites on the check switch test anyway?
The switch test is showing the following:
1 2 3
119 Conn X
All X Odd
Twin Twin Feed

At the bottom of that screen, there is a place to put a check by Super Dish/129 and a place to check by Alternate. Should both, either, or none be checked?
I have hooked up one of the 722's in this room and it works fine.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is likely an issue with the box. It can be that the box cannot actually see the switch or control it, or that the software is not allowing it. I am relatively sure that the yellow card will not allow a software update (and I am relatively surprised you have not seen a message saying the card must be changed). Typically, if you moved another receiver into this room and it works fine, then the issue is stemming from the box's hardware or software, as bringing in another receiver basically tested anything that might be inline causing an issue. Do you have recorded things on the box you want to keep, or are you good with replacing the box? That is typically the best way to go as a SC may or may not allow all issues to be resolved in changing it. There are two options for changing it. The first, basically using a return authorization to swap for like equipment. The second, if you qualify for a DISH'n it Up, upgrade to a 512 (or even a 612). Cost monthly is the same (receiver fee for the 510 is $10).

Last edited:
My money is on the out-dated software. Reboot the receiver, when it completes it's 5 of 5 test, turn it off with the remote. It should then download the latest software.

If the receiver will somehow download software, and even if it somehow is able to run and complete a check switch listing all satellites and showing "All" for the transponder, I do want to make a point you will not be able to view programming using the old Aladdin card (yellow). As I said previously, a software update will probably not load with the Aladdin card, and that is going to be the catch all. You likely need to replace the card before continuing. However, the fact that you can somehow bypass all that and get to the check switch leads me to believe there is something actually faulty with the receiver itself, as well as the obvious issue with the card (will not authorize). In either case, a new card and a new receiver costs the same amount, and rather then having down time trying to do the SC first, replacing the receiver is the shortest and most efficient way.

Last edited:
Actually. I was able to get a 301 to update it's software just last night. It has the older yellow card (the one with HBO, Cinemax and other logos on it), but yeah it was useless for watching anything other than 101.

******CORRECTION****** I had to make a correction as a colleague of mine (Matt G) actually directed me to something regarding your software on the 510. You have to upgrade your software using the Aladdin card (yellow) as your software does not support the G3 card (black, purple and red). Power off the unit and leave it sit. After about 10 minutes or so, you should see a 061 message show up saying that it is updating. If you cannot get it to download software, the issue is actually the box itself and as I mentioned before, you will want to replace that via RA or DIU. DOH! Leave it to the lost sand scrolls to prove me wrong!

I am inclined to agree that it is the box. It has been sitting for 2 hours now with the 061 message, at the bottom, it says "acquiring satellite", but it isn't acquring anything.

Assuming that you've tried resetting the receiver (again), from this point it needs to be replaced. Feel free to PM if you need us to set something up for you. *Edit* Sorry didn't know Tony PM's you already.

Last edited:
Any reason you wouldn't be happy if they replaced your 510 with a 625?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)