510 Missed End of "Friends" Finale

SummitCinema

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Hi:

My wife and I were watching the Friends finale last evening on our 510, and it didn't record the last few minutes of the show. Fill me in, what happened after Rachael came back to Ross?

My wife asked me to find out on this forum. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Steve

I didnt watch it but Howard Stern's entire gang (who all have TIVOS) missed the last few minutes as well. I thought with "name-based recording" this kind of thing couldnt/shouldnt happen with TIVO. WHAT GIVES???

There was a warning here on this board yesterday that the show was going to run until 10:06. Too bad NBC didn't make that more public, they should be ashamed.

Ross and Rachel got together for good (although Ross made a poorly timed joke about "Being on a break". )

I suppose NBC may have done all this to help the DVD sales... you can buy the last episode on DVD on Tuesday! Maybe you just go rent it...

And the baby?

pbrown said:
Ross and Rachel got together for good (although Ross made a poorly timed joke about "Being on a break". )

Where their baby during the whole episode?

Packed in Rachel's suitcase?

You can thank NBC and their $2 million for a commercial for the episode running 1:06 (got done at 9:05 CDT)

I was able to see it on ExpressVu earlier (due to timeshifting) and the Canadian stations ran it :59 minutes....so 7 minutes x 2 million--NBC made $14 million by running more commercials.

Yeah my wife was about to kill me for missing the end of the show, then I realized that I recorded E.R. as well on Tuner 2, so it was tacked on the beginning there. I was saved!

Same thing with Survivor Finale, they always announce the winner in the first 3 minutes of the second hour where they have the reunion, so I always record both shows and don't miss out on any of it.

Rachel gave her baby to her mother ( Marlow Thomas played her ) to take to Paris the following week after she was supposed to go to there first. This was told to the cast when they were saying good byes in the coffee shop.

mjrusso45 said:
Yeah my wife was about to kill me for missing the end of the show, then I realized that I recorded E.R. as well on Tuner 2, so it was tacked on the beginning there. I was saved!
That's what happened here too... Can't complain !!

mattyro said:
I didnt watch it but Howard Stern's entire gang (who all have TIVOS) missed the last few minutes as well. I thought with "name-based recording" this kind of thing couldnt/shouldnt happen with TIVO. WHAT GIVES???

There are a couple of theories. True, NBR will catch super-sized eps, but only if the EPG reflects it. If the EPG listing said 1:06, a Tivo on repeat (Season Pass, essentially) or a DISH PVR set to individually record that ep AFTER the listing change, will get the whole show. If the listing is wrong, neither will.

This is the single worst "gotcha" of using repeating timers on a timeslot recorder such as those from DISH, which will base all recordings for that timer on the current length of the next scheduled ep, meaning supersized eps will be truncated. Which is why I never set repeats. A small price to pay for the many DISH PVR payoffs (well, decreased stability is a bit larger price to pay, but still worth it). I have yet to miss a supersized ep because I always set individual timers. I HAVE had eps truncated because the running times did not match the EPG listings exactly, and NBC supersized eps are notorious for that, making extra padding the order of the day.

They also missed the Survivor finale in February, probably because of a name change (which is the primary Tivo "gotcha"). Many Tivo Season Pass holders missed some eps when "Enterprise" became "Star Trek: Enterprise".