510 partially dead this morning...

catnap1972

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Central Pennsylvania
Put the unit on "standby" last night before I went to bed. This morning, I turned it back on and everything seemed to be ok, but when I change the channel, all I get is the title/info for a couple of seconds, then nothing (black screen). Same deal if I change the channel to something else. If I either power off for a few seconds, browse through the DVR selections (whatever's recorded still works), or through the VOD menu (still nothing downloaded and it's dog slow in downloading the app), then cancel out and go back to "live TV", the picture/sound will come back for the channel that's there, but if I change channels again, back to black it goes (sometimes I get the audio/captioning with just the black screen).

Tried switch test as well as verifying signal, but everything there is OK, so it sounds like the problem is with the receiver itself. Anything I can try (aside from x-ferring anything off the hard drive that I still want) before I call Dish?

Another problem--DishHOME (channel 100) downloads, then only partially works, but it seemed to fix the other problem when I cancelled out (getting audio/video on the other channels again). Why do I get the impression that the stupid thing tried to download one of the VODs overnight (still nothing available), which screwed it up entirely?

Same problem, same solution

I noticed it when I wanted to watch the US Open yesterday after church.

Uplugged the 510 and it came back just fine. In my case, my wife had left the reciever on all night so I don't know when it got "stuck".

I've got the same problem with our 510...I'll keep my eye on this thread. I have called Dish three times and it is still not fixed.

Had the same problem, last night, myself.

Turned it off...ok.

Next day turned it on.....just the title bar showed.

After frantic button pushes, got the DVR recording page so I could watch some recorded UFC.

About half way into it...it stopped. Just had a black screen

Unplugged it for about 30 seconds and plugged back in.....nothing.

Unpluggd it and went to work, plugged back in after work and everything is ok.

The 510's don't have a heat problem do they?

Wish I could say the problem(s) went away on mine, but I can't. Two programs (both an hour each) on usual timer record this morning...one recorded 8 minutes, the second recorded nothing (something I recorded overnight came out OK though, go figure)

I haven't gone as far as pulling the plug (yet) as I want to extricate what I have left on the hard drive to DVD first, just in case the receiver decides it simply has no choice but to wipe the hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)