52.0 remote for new Samsung TV? Help

rstark18

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I just got a new TV (Samsung UN65KS800DFXZA) which is the same as the KS8000. I like using the 52.0 remote for everything (Hopper 3, AVR, TV). Everything works except the smart menus on the TV. When I press the TV button on the side to control the TV it doesn't. Instead it controls the Hopper. I couldn't find my model (or any KS series) in the remote list which surprised me as they have been out for some time and are very popular.
How can I get the 52.0 to control the tv's smart menu?
Do I have to resort to learning?

first, go menu, settings, remote control, advanced, limited mode, and make sure that is off. that will let the tv button stay on the tv,
not sure if it will so all the smart functions, but this will be a start. hope this helps.

Reactions: KAB
first, go menu, settings, remote control, advanced, limited mode, and make sure that is off. that will let the tv button stay on the tv,
not sure if it will so all the smart functions, but this will be a start. hope this helps.
Thanks. I forgot about that so that's a start.

Now with that done I can't seem to get any of the Samsung's remote buttons learned on the 52.0. I go through the learning process and everything seems to pair (I get the 3 flashing TV lights on the 52.0 with each button learning) but when I save out of the wizard none of the buttons work. It does say it has learned codes in the Hopper interface.

My goal is to have just a few buttons working. I want the App button and the 4 way directional button with select in the middle.
Just can't figure out why it wont learn any codes.
BTW, I have successfully mapped code from my AVR to the 52.0 (including the 4 way directional button) so I can't see why the Samsung remote doesn't work.
Just an afterthought, Maybe the Samsung remote is Bluetooth? If so will it be possible?

So I got it worked out. It turns out that almost all the buttons on the Samsung remote are Bluetooth so you can't use it to teach another remote.
I had an old Harmony that I didn't want to use because a few of the buttons are wearing out. I reprogrammed it for the Samsung TV. The Harmony programming tool has the full IR map for this Samsung remote. After Programming it I then used the old Harmony remote to teach the Dish 52.0 remote the buttons that I wanted.
The only thing I couldn't do is remap the Home button on the 52.0. I guess Dish has that button locked so I used the Apps button instead.

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)