522/2- 301s and replay dvr possible configs

Satellite_Gal

Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
OK so I need to step back here.
The feedback from the group has really helped me crystalize what I want to do.

I want to thank everyone who explained the options with the 522s which seem to be that :

-Wiire it to 2 TVs which will let you record 2 things at once and watch something already recorded (but only from 1 TV?)
-Use it in single mode which will let you watch one thing live and record another? (on 1 TV)
-Will single mode let you record 2 things at once and watch something already recorded?

You can also wire it to 2 inputs on the same TV

I have 2 old recievers 301s and a Replay DVR at home.
We have 2 TVs and I am looking for pointers on options for setting it up.

I have looked over the available documentation on the Dish website and its pretty pathetic.

What I want to be able to do is:
1-Record 2 things at once and watch something recorded
2-Record something and watch something live from either TV but at least from our main set
And it would be great if either TV had access to what was recorded

Is this possible?

not exactly sure but think the replay can only record one thing at a time.

It does have like 3 different inputs so it can control /record from both the 301s (use a double headed ir blaster and use different remote codes for the boxes) but only one of the inputs is svideo the other is rca jack only, and the third is the rf over the air local tv broadcast antennea input.

I use a dish 721 with a panasonic showstopper unit which is identical to older replay 1000, 2000 models. So I can use the dish 721 to record Two different shows from dish sat and also use the pana ss to record a local broadcast stations over the air antennea at the same time.

you would need the two tuner receivers like the 721 522 921 to record two dish sat programs at same time. or a two tuner tivo model like with direct tv.
Don't think repaly has a two tuner model like tivo does.

Satellite_Gal said:
OK so I need to step back here.
I want to thank everyone who explained the options with the 522s which seem to be that :

-Wiire it to 2 TVs which will let you record 2 things at once and watch something already recorded (but only from 1 TV?)
Correction: can watch recorded programs from either output.
-Use it in single mode which will let you watch one thing live and record another? (on 1 TV)
Or record two things and watch a recorded program on 1 TV.
-Will single mode let you record 2 things at once and watch something already recorded?
Yes, single mode will allow you to record two programs and watch a third program on one TV. Dual mode will allow you to record two programs and watch two different recordings on two TVs.
You can also wire it to 2 inputs on the same TV
Yes but you would have to use both remotes to change channels on their respective tuners in dual mode.
What I want to be able to do is:
1-Record 2 things at once and watch something recorded
Can do.
2-Record something and watch something live from either TV but at least from our main set
If TV2 is recording you can watch other live TV on the main TV.
If TV1 is recording, you can:
Watch what it is recording (still able to pause, rewind, etc.)
Or watch something you already recorded
Or watch over the air programming (if you have an external antenna connected)
Or you can go to a TV connected to TV2 to watch other live satellite TV there.
And it would be great if either TV had access to what was recorded

Is this possible?
TV1 and TV2 can both watch recorded programs no matter which tuner recorded it.
You're welcome :)
You can do all of the above with just the 522.

DishPro DP34 Switch NC No Connection

Ready to move to an HD/DVR. Why stay with Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)