DVR and other issues..looking for advice possible fix

Tomba

Original poster
Aug 8, 2023
Illinois
Looking for advice while trying to contact Dish support....
Problems started about 10 days ago and have progressively become worse.

Hopper:

• Playback of all DVR recordings is erratic - video/audio freeze. Playback freezing occurring on all recordings captured or previously stored. Live tv can be recorded that has no glitches and then when played back it erratically freezes and is not watchable.
  • Channel selection is delayed. Cannot select a channel from the guide until channel icon and description displays on screen. This delay takes 30+ seconds and is erratic and resets each time guide is opened.
  • Channel guide auto scrolls out of control either up or down erratically.
  • This screen message started appearing same time problems started "the hopper snap usb device is now connected and working" 1592, and displays every time hopper is powered on. (this has never displayed before)
  • Erratic during live tv - video/audio freeze any channel.
  • Erratic during live tv -screen goes black about 10 seconds and appears that hopper shuts down and then starts up.
Joey:

Same issues as Hopper, but the live tv video/audio freeze is more consistent on all channels about 60 seconds live tv then freezes for 30-40 seconds and repeats. No longer useable.

Things I have checked:

• Note - I do not have home Wi-Fi therefore the Hopper is not connected or ever has been connected to Wi-Fi. The Hopper and Joey are hard wired only.
  • I have done multiple hard and soft resets on Hopper and Joey, including disconnecting from power and rebooting.
  • Verified all coax and HDMI cable connections.
  • Disconnected Joey from Hopper and problems with Hopper remain.
  • Removed USB Snap and tried to operate Hopper without it and channel guide became completely non operational and/or very delayed.
  • Replaced remote batteries
  • Performed software update and guide update via Diagnostics screen.
  • Signal strength on 110/119 is about 65% avg (same since installation and has worked fine)

It certainly sounds like your Hopper is on its last legs, specifically its hard drive. Do this: On the Hopper, press the home button 3 times, Drop down to Status and then go over to Check Status (or press 5). What does the status check say? If it found issues you need to get a replacement.

It certainly sounds like your Hopper is on its last legs, specifically its hard drive. Do this: On the Hopper, press the home button 3 times, Drop down to Status and then go over to Check Status (or press 5). What does the status check say? If it found issues you need to get a replacement.
Thanks for the quick reply. It shows zero 0 status issues? which makes no sense to me
Could it be that USB snap device? or does that have anything to do with memory buffering or the dvr?

LOL this was a new install from Dish less than 8 months ago...its still under warranty I suspect..buy trying to get ahold of Dish to have someone to help is frustrating to say the least...
possibly trying to cover all my bases before I get back in call cue

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the quick reply. It shows zero 0 status issues? which makes no sense to me
Could it be that USB snap device? or does that have anything to do with memory buffering or the dvr?

LOL this was a new install from Dish less than 8 months ago...its still under warranty I suspect..buy trying to get ahold of Dish to have someone to help is frustrating to say the least...
possibly trying to cover all my bases before I get back in call cue
The snap device.akes it run faster and smoother. By the sounds if it either the snap or usb ports are malfunctioning causing a loop of the snap device working and not working. When it is working it will seem normal and when it's not it will be very slow, and as it comes back on line it will cause any menus or guide to freeze and then reset and you'll see starting up 8888. Most likely id start getting ready to have your receiver replaced. So if recordings are important to you then watch them or transfer to external hard drive. Also I would unplug the snap and see if that helps. It's a little black box thing sticking out of back of receiver.

Yes unplug the snap device and then plug it in after you reboot the receiver and it might clear up the problems. My buddy has a hopper with sling and the snap device and he said sometimes it tells him that in a message and once he does it the receiver goes back to working again.

Playback of all DVR recordings is erratic - video/audio freeze. Playback freezing occurring on all recordings captured or previously stored. Live tv can be recorded that has no glitches and then when played back it erratically freezes and is not watchable.

This was one issue I had with H3, had everything replace in setup from dish to boxes (h3) was last thing that was replaced which did fix dvr issue internal test on h3 said there was no hdd issue found though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)